Wire Mesh Script

http://members.iinet.net.au/~cpbarton%40iinet.net.au/ideasman/

Does anyone know how to use the wire mesh script posted on this page. I can’t get any results. I want to get a wire mesh like the picture shows. I need some help.

Seems I had no luck until I tried it in while in edit mode.

Hmm. Just tried it in 2.40 and had no luck (got a python error). What version of blender are you using?

Use this one instead, it works fine since blender 1.7x :
http://jmsoler.free.fr/didacticiel/blender/tutor/python_wireshadows_en.htm

I was thinking about this problem before going to bed last night. I came to the conclusion that Blender 2.40 might have broken the script. I know they changed some mesh editing code, so maybe they changed the API too. I used blender 2.40 with Python 2.3.

I was thinking about using Blender 2.37 to make the mesh and import it into 2.40

Thanks jms, I will look into the script.

The very reason that I have FOUR versions of blender on my machine. 2.25,2.36,2.37,2.4 and 2.4 experimenal build with the explde patch.

The very reason that I have FOUR versions of blender on my machine. 2.25,2.36,2.37,2.4 and 2.4 experimenal build with the explde patch.[/quote]

:o :o good idea! :smiley:

I love blender. I’ve been using it for years now and don’t have any intention of stopping.

That said, this is the issue that I hate the most while using it. No one expects you to keep 4 outdated versions of your word processor on your hard drive in order to type a letter. The need to bounce between multiple versions of the program in order to get something done just feels ameteurish and drives me up the wall. (But only animatable in old versions, because the drive-up-the-wall-o-matic script won’t run under 2.40).

You need to realize something first and foremost. Blender is NOT commercial software. The people that write scripts and the people that code improvements to each new blender version ARE NOT getting paid. They do it becasue they love the program and the like to code.

That being said. If you want 100% ability to have backward compatibility then spend hundreds of dollars on something like 3DSMax or Maya. Even then some things will be broken when the programs get updated.

You need to realize something first and foremost. Blender is NOT commercial software. The people that write scripts and the people that code improvements to each new blender version ARE NOT getting paid. They do it becasue they love the program and the like to code.

That being said. If you want 100% ability to have backward compatibility then spend hundreds of dollars on something like 3DSMax or Maya. Even then some things will be broken when the programs get updated.[/quote]

First of all- maya and 3ds max arnt realy any more backward compatible then blender- Notice many plugins are for 3dsmax4/5/6 etc.
I have heared that Mel is so tightly intergrated (a good thing in most cases) - That new Maya versions also break Mel compatibility.

This is crazy how about spending a second to think about whats going on!
I cant be expected to keep all my scripts up to date if nobody tells me when there not working!

Okay, angry moment over…

I use most of my scripts enough to make sure- but sometimes I make a script for a spesific job, and dont use them much after.

Email me when something breaks, Email address is on my homepage, heck if your want voice support from a real person you can even skype me for free support (Somthing commercial software dosent always offer)

A script breaking with a new blender is a common enough thing, not exactly somthing worth a thread topic,
often the breaks are realy realy simple to fix, like replacing some text.

The new and slightly faster version has been updated. download from my page.

PS- Jms’s script is very good but different to mine. - They give different results. - Mine operates from editmode on selected edges. From memory JMSs works on the hole mesh.

[quote="SHABA1You need to realize something first and foremost. Blender is NOT commercial software. The people that write scripts and the people that code improvements to each new blender version ARE NOT getting paid. They do it becasue they love the program and the like to code.

[quote]

I do realize that, and I genuinely appreciate the time and effort that people are putting in. It is possible to love, appreciate and respect something and still find aspects that are frustrating. Try being married.

Cambo seems to have echoed the same frustration from the other side of the fence. BTW, Cambo, thank you for your EXCELLENT scripts. Between work and trying to figure out something with OBJ import and export scripts I haven’t had a mment. I would have sent you an email on this one but work has me up to my eyeballs and I prefer to test things to have some details rather than a simple “this doesn’t work” report. I’ve had to debug too much stuff to do that to someone.

[quote=“clockdug”][quote="SHABA1You need to realize something first and foremost. Blender is NOT commercial software. The people that write scripts and the people that code improvements to each new blender version ARE NOT getting paid. They do it becasue they love the program and the like to code.

I do realize that, and I genuinely appreciate the time and effort that people are putting in. It is possible to love, appreciate and respect something and still find aspects that are frustrating. Try being married.

Cambo seems to have echoed the same frustration from the other side of the fence. BTW, Cambo, thank you for your EXCELLENT scripts. Between work and trying to figure out something with OBJ import and export scripts I haven’t had a mment. I would have sent you an email on this one but work has me up to my eyeballs and I prefer to test things to have some details rather than a simple “this doesn’t work” report. I’ve had to debug too much stuff to do that to someone.

see what your saying. testing is work too, fair point.
Tring to keep my scripts working with teh latest blender as well as support new features in the CVS can get confusing too. Esp when Im helping too debug problems in the Blender/C api. (I have Blender middle child syndrome).

Still, eve if you just want to poke me that somethings not working. Just do so. tell me you havnt enough time to check… Just the line number and blender version is enough for me to start…

As it turns out, jaycun contected me over the Elysuin email thingy that I never use… so who’se the fool now :slight_smile:

• Peace man.

explde patch?? What is this can you send link ? Is it an experimental explode tool ?