Wireframe renders

Actually, object instancing, which doesn´t have the disadvantage increased file size as mesh duplication does. - as Theeth put.

So, the workflow would be to: (correct me if I´m wrong)

1. Select all objects (including lights and camera) of a scene.
  2. Alt D to make instances*. Don´t deselect.
  3. Move instances to layer 2 (or move aside)
  4. Shade the objs of one layer as wireframe and make a small Z translation
  5. Show layers and render

THis looks, to me, very similar to the image you posted and you wanted to duplicate

http://www.selleri.org/Blender/buffer/bof.jpg

A plain shadeless material with toon edges enabled

and edges between coplanar faces are not rendered…

Stefano

Well, that seems to me simple and effective, Stefano…

whats cool though, is being able to examine the lighting in the wire render

Ohhhhhhhh. That looks like a good option then. Is it possible to make the lines (or toon edges) thinner? I always thought toon edges were too thick.

Thanks all for the help. :slight_smile:

With 1500 posts… well :wink: , select the camera, then the thing you want it to look at, and press crtl+T. Then select make constant. That’s it. You can move the cam and it will stay pointed at the center of the target object.

Sure you can make edge thinner. I pumped them to the maximum (eint=255) but you can play with that!

Stefano

Hi S68. Are you sure the edge intensity is the right setting for line thickness.
If you look at step 4 of this toon shading tutorial you can see that it says…

“The higher you set the Eint: value the more edges will be outlined.”

I thought this was so, which was why I checked it. It must be something else that changes line thickness because I don’t think it’s the “Eint” slider.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. :slight_smile:

One quick hack to make lines thinner is to render the picture with a higher resolution then sacle the file down.

Thanks arangel. The toon edges work good for shapes like in the example S68 posted, but on an organic model, (i.e. a head) the lines fade towards the center. A UV sphere is a good enough example if you want to see what I mean. Is there a method of making consistently dark toon edges for the whole wireframe? I already have Edge intensity set to 255. Thanks again all. :slight_smile:

Instead of worring about adding/modifiying a shader would it not be better to just add the option for a hidden line removal algorithm to the wireframe code?

Yes, that would be a good feature to have.

The simplest way (that I’m aware of) to do it at present is to duplicate the mesh (alt+D) and give the duplicate a new material with “wire” and “ztransp” switched on, and with a Zoffset of about 0.05. :slight_smile: