Wires and Hoses

I am creating a few models to be animated that use hydraulic lines and wires. I have run into a bit of a problem. I can make hoses using the BevOb by combining a Circle and a Bezier Curve. My big issue is rigging the wire/hose for animation. Can you rig a Bezier to an armature? I thought about making the hoses as a subsurf mesh and rigging it, but I do not know which one is more computer intensive.

Also, I bought the book for Blender and have tried to follow the directions for making hydraulic pistons, but I cannot get the tracking of objects to work to good.

In a nutshell… has anyone done this kind of work before that would be willing to pass on what they have learned? Thank you for your time.

JABayne

Can you rig a Bezier to an armature?

Yes you can. And Automatic IK’s in 2.4 would work nicely after setting “Degree of Freedom” on bones.

You can also put RVK’s on the original Path curve of your extruded bevel (or hooks) and in 2.4 use Driven Keys to control either. So, when your boom comes down the driven key (eg. Rot-X on the boom) will operate the RVK’s of the pipes to make them sag.

hydraulic pistons, but I cannot get the tracking of objects to work to good.

This might help:

http://argoslabs.com/~malefico/tutor/mecano-en.html

%<

Thanks for such a quick response. I am looking over Malefico’s stuff so hopefully that will help.

Will 2.4 be documented enough? RVK’s, IK’s (automatic or otherwise), hooks, driven keys? Such enigmas to the beginner. What you are describing sounds like it would do exactly what I am looking for. Are there any good links to that?

Thanks so much.

JABayne