Wish the BGE could do this!

Check out this video: http://www.bungie.net/projects/reach/vidaudio.aspx?c=58&i=27384 Youtube(Thanks Social): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCcmrL29WII Look at how big the environments are! That looks so awesome, I can’t wait, wouldn’t it be awesome if in the near future the BGE could be this powerful!? To bad Bungie dosn’t give out free copys of their engine. :wink:

I believe you just need a sufficiently powerful computer to do it right now in BGE.

Even in commercial engines it’s not like a real-time streaming world will run on a crud computer except if the graphical quality was turned down.

Because of Campbell we have all the basics to create a massive world (through the use of dividing the world, allocating them to different .blend files, and linking their content to the main .blend for editing), the base work is done now we just need more control of what loads and that loading in another thread.

Are you talking about 2.53? But right now I don’t know how to work any of that stuff, how do I link say, two differant maps to a scene and then edit them both?

i believe that with the introduction of dynamic loading (dynamic linking), it is also possible (huge worlds with good graphics which satisfies min req.) in bge too!

(i think that most of direct x games has already used this feature extensively)

Yeah, but this is all one solid map, because you can have people playing all over the map at the same time, in lots of differant areas, to bad we don’t have an lod like they have that does it automaticly, making for off objects cheap to draw, like they said.

Fail to see how this isn’t already possible, because people playing all over the map is handled server side anyway.

to bad we don’t have an lod like they have that does it automaticly, making for off objects cheap to draw, like they said.

I don’t think LOD is that difficult to do, hell someone’s done a terrain LOD in the BGE section which isn’t too bad - Include the dynamic linking/loading and you’re almost there.

Well, obviously you don’t know much about the BGE’s LOD, its nowhere near as good as what they said, what you have to do is have a mesh for each Level, which in a version like 2.49 is all in the scene, so its still being calculated in the bge, but this one automaticly reduces them, so you don’t have to have so much setup, very useful, so with 2.5 maybe we will be able to write a script with similar function in the bge, you could be right about the map thing, but you can see the whole map from high cliffs, so its not really the same thing as walking around a corner and a building gets added in, you can see it all. So I’m not sure it would work the way you are saying, but I could be completely wrong.

If they’re not using a geometry shader, their LOD system would probably use some variant of the “proxy clone” method, where you have variable resolution meshes in memory, so you can quickly swap them based on distance.

Of course, the lower resolution version would be created automatically, through some procedural process, but I think they would still hold a “clone cache”, for efficiency.

But, it doesn’t really matter:

Even if the BGE could compete with the reach engine (or whatever it’s actually called internally), you wouldn’t be able to compete on the basis of content, and that would make the functionality completely irrelevant (for you, and every other independent developer).

BTW, here’s a link that doesn’t require silverlight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCcmrL29WII

PS: Bungie really has a way of making trivial features seem like leaps in technology; I literally loled when one of the engineers started talking about “normal, phased, and fixed”, as if this is something more than just a few calls to Havok (the third-party physics lib they use).

Even if the BGE could compete with the reach engine (or whatever it’s actually called internally), you wouldn’t be able to compete on the basis of content, and that would make the functionality completely irrelevant (for you, and every other independent developer).

True I suppose, but for putting a team together it would be really nice, plus, knowing that I could push it that far I would play around with a lot of stuff on there, I know it would be pretty useless for the lone developer, but still, thats what I want to do for a living, so I want that kind of technology.

BTW, here’s a link that doesn’t require silverlight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCcmrL29WII

Thanks for the link social, I put it on the first page as well, easier for everyone.

PS: Bungie really has a way of making trivial features seem like leaps in technology; I literally loled when one of the engineers started talking about “normal, phased, and fixed”, as if this is something more than just a few calls to Havok (the third-party physics lib they use).

Yeah, your kinda misunderstanding them, thats just because Halo 3’s forge didn’t have that power, things always fell and it was really tricky, that was more for the forge lovers to drool over.

First of all, a team of amateur developers would still be unable to truly utilize the technology to the extent that a team of highly paid professionals at Bungie could. For the amount of content that you, or your rag-tag team would actually be able to produce, the BGE would be more than satisfactory.

Second: I really don’t understand your mindset here. I mean, you know that “it would be pretty useless for the lone developer” (you), yet you still want it… The fact that you want to work in the game industry doesn’t make that a rational desire.

It seems to me like your vision doesn’t really extend beyond “I want teh shiny”, and that’s not going to help you in creating a good game, or starting a good career in the game industry.

You should focus on innovating game-play, and creating something that others will want to play because it’s genuinely fun; the AAA quality stuff is something that you buy later, or that you get a company to buy for you.

Yeah, your kinda misunderstanding them, thats just because Halo 3’s forge didn’t have that power, things always fell and it was really tricky, that was more for the forge lovers to drool over.
Halo 3 still used Havok for physics.

The functionality was always there, it just wasn’t exposed until now.

Well said Social. That crap about phasing and stuff is just ridiculous, seriously, intersecting polygons without physics is nothing amazing, plus they are obviously using a linked library or whatever. The only really interesting and cool thing about all this is the shading (which needs work still) and some of the ballistic physics.

Ok, both of you, the phased thing really isn’t much of a milestone, but thats not the point, you both have obviously never used forge in Halo 3, things always bounce into each other and never align right, a real pain in the ass, that whole part was to make the forge users go YAY!!! The only reason, not because it was some new technology, just to get users to go, “That will make it so much easier!” Nothing to do with tech, man I could picture watching a trailer you guys make, it would be so boring, its called selling yourselves, something you could learn from.

Um, I’ve played every Halo game, I’m the boss when it comes to Halo, I’ve been in forge, I know that everything in the game has fixed physics. Making a few minor adjustments to the forge in halo isn’t really that big of a deal, sure it’s cool and opens up opportunities for better content creation, but it’s not like it’s as amazing as what the Bungie dudes are making it out to be.

I’m kinda confused by your last statement, are you saying that you’re just caught up in the hype and with Blender hyped everything in the builds or what? Pretty sure Blender is capable of doing every and that Halo’s forge can do, and more.

I’m glad they’ve updated the forge, but I’m just not seeing the point of this thread.