Wishes for enhancing the useability of Blender.

There is always a “Whishes For The Next Version” thread that collects some big dreams but there is none about making Blender more fun and efficient on a daily basis.
Very simple things ranging from not having to press F11 twice to dismiss the render window to having joined Objects registering as named vertex groups automatically and being able to separate Objects on the basis of selected vertex groups and use the groups’ names for the new Objects.
Things that are within reach, that don’t need a full recode, just a good patch.
Things to make the life of those who actually use Blender easier.
Things like… your turn.

Jean

a) Chamfering
b) Aligning all the vertices(etc) in a single plain(not restricted to grid points) at one go.
c) Collapsing a range of vertices to their adjescent ones (selected) but constrainted on axis (parallel to the adjscent vertices).

These will reduce my modeling time tremendously. :stuck_out_tongue:

Never having to press Ctrl N to fix normals.
Vertex snapping.
Material preset.

I would like to be copy and paste ~any~ text/number field.

I know it is possible to copy and paste transform properties by moving the mouse ~over~ the field and then hitting ctrl-c/ctrl-v. This could be improved so that it wouldn’t be necessary to hover mouse on the field. (I know this has already been mentioned in Wishes for post 2.4 versions thread but I thought to bring it up in here too.)

I think that the scripts are too slow to access. Perhaps there could be a menu ,used by a hotkey, in which the user could bind favorite scripts. This menu could be same for every .blend so it wouldn’t have to be configured separately. (Also mentioned in Wishes for post 2.4 versions thread.)

I really would like to input formulas (like 2*5.23, 5/(2+6.453) …) to number fields. Sometimes it is necessary to calculate these values, why not to leave the calculating part to Blender?

I just noticed a Blender new feature that IMHO is just plain wrong.

Erase menu, if “edge” option is selected, next time “edge” will be the first option highlighted in that menu (in fact the second option in the list)

IMO plain wrong! :<

Menus should behave always the same, first option always highlighted, in order to make fast automatic menu selections because of learning of repetition.

You tend to remember a particular mouse movement to reach a menu option, by repetition it becomes almost automatic.

It the menu behaviour changes, then the user’s workflow breaks.

It is very important in heavily used contextual menus, where options are selected almost without looking at the menu.

Okay:

• Everything accessible from menus, as well as the hotkeys
  • Custom toolbar (yes, I know its being worked on)
  • The Python plugins be reviewed. I’m sorry, but about half of them don’t work ‘out of the box’, and give all kinds of error messages.
  • Tabbing to the next input field
  • Snapping, all kinds
  • Rewriting the text on the buttons. First: using less Blender-jargon and more ‘industry accepted’ ones. And if a button is too short, please DON’T shorten the text on it, to some obscure abbreviation, that only a Blender veteran knows, but lengthen the button itself. (Not for me, but for anyone contemplating swithing to Blender, these can be a pain in the ***)

IamInnocent: seperating could rather work with face-selection, ie: material indices, and not vertex selection, because with vertex groups, the faces between different vertices would be lost.

Umm… it always selects the option you used the last time. This way you can repeat actions quickly.

For example, smoothing. If the first option was always highlighting, you’d have to press W, find the “smooth” option and click it and repeat over and over. But as the previous option selected, you do the longer step just once and then repeat W+click.

We already have that. Just select an input field and press tab. But it doesn’t work consistently all the time as it works as tab completion in some fields, so some visual clues for knowing when tab completion works would be nice.

Umm… it always selects the option you used the last time.

In heavily used contextual menus, options are quickly selected based on a particular mouse movement you’ve got memorised, with almost no looking at the menu.

It is the commond trend out there. Contextual menus, right and below the cursor when possible, no option highlighted at all.

I don’t think we have invented the wheel with this new feature.

That Blender doesn’t warn you that you have unsaved work on quit is utterly absurd! Even NOTEPAD manages this for crying out loud!

Comprehensive online help and documentation. If i don’t know what a button does I want to hover over it with the mouse, hit F1 and get a help page explaining it, perhaps with a couple of examples. I know programmers hate writing documentation (God knows I hate it!) but with software this complex there really needs to be proper online documentation.

Materials library. Most commercial packages come with lots of materials supplied. Admittedly they don’t get used much in the real world but they do serve as a starting point to create materials more suitable for the required job and it would make life so much easier for new users to produce something and feel like they’re making progress!

The right hand mouse button does what I expect the left one to do, and the left hand one does something else completely. If the left hand button at least did left hand button things I could probably get used to the other button. There’s already an option for this in prefs, so just turn it on by default.

On the subject of mouse buttons, lots of mice have more than 3 buttons, if Blender doesn’t do so already perhaps the extra mouse buttons could be assigned to user-specified functions, like toggling between various editing modes, or managing loops, or calling up the menu you get when you hit space (Actually now that I think of it, the space bar menu would probably go well on the RMB, and assign another mouse button to moving the 3D cursor)

Make the editor more graphics-tablet friendly. Utilize pressure and tilt data from tablets that support it where appropiate, and perhaps the multiple tools of tablets that support those.

If you want to memorize them, you can use numbers. IE, remove faces = X,3. I’ve got to admit that some of the numbers are too far away to be used comfortably, though.

What he said.

A lot of people don’t want it. But I think you should be able to switch on or off in the user prefs.
So I agree with you.

Also, the option to press a key in the “Open File” menu and the selection will go to the first entry with that key. Let’s say I press “c” it will go to the first entry that begins with c.
Available in any Windows related software.

Not having to enter the extension would also be great.

i’ve mentioned this about anywhere, a material library would be nice.
One where you can add and remove materials you saw in other .blend files.
P

Alvaro, I’m pretty sure it’s not a new feature. It’s worked like that for as long as I can remember. And I like it.

Alvaro, I actually find the memory of menu placement really useful (especially when merging a bunch of vertices). I don’t think it is really possible to have the movements along a vertical menu muscle-memorized because the mouse speed isn’t constant (depending on settings), and on different computers, the mouse speed is different altogether. What would work though is the Maya-like pie menus because those depend on a direction and not how far you move the mouse.

Something that seems like it would be a simple fix would be that applying the mirror modifier would keep vertex groups and if the existing groups ended with *.L or *.R, it would create complementary groups. You can keep the existing groups already by using alt-d, mirror and joining the meshes, so it doesn’t seem like it would be very difficult to build it into the modifier.

Another thing that just “grinds my gears” is if you tell the armature modifier to affect edit-mode and the mesh cage, the vertices should be movable as if the mesh was originally in that shape. In otherwords, when you grab some points, they should all move in the direction you are dragging them to as opposed to half of them going off in the opposite direction and the other half moving on the wrong axis.

A lot of people don’t want it. But I think you should be able to switch on or off in the user prefs.
So I agree with you.[/quote]

I’m surprised to hear that. I don’t recall using any application that doesn’t have the save on quit warning dialog in years. Why would people not want something that could potentially save them from shooting themselves in the foot?

The argument goes something like this: “When I want to quit, I want to quit… don’t ask me. I hit that button because I wanted out. And even if it was an accident - which only happens very rarely for me - I still have a way to recover with the quit.blend.”

Something like that. Personally, I don’t have a need for it. I understand that other folks might, though… so I don’t care much either way.

That’s why we need the ability to switch that of in the user prefs.
If it was standard on as you download it, the n00bs are satisfied.
Those that don’t want it can easily switch it off and never worry about it again.
Should have been there years ago, me thinks.
P

one small thing that I had trouble with during my 24h challenge,

the V key in edit mode. the mesh Ripping feature. well while it can be a usefull option (I used it a few time during the 24h),…the letter is directly next to B…to box select stuff. So often I’d go and select a vertex, then press b to select a bunch of other…but make a “typo” and press V instead. At the very first, I didn’t know that new feature…so I just thought it didn’t change anything…so I pressed b and moved on. that hapenned a couple of time…and then when I applied subsurf, bevelled stuff, added loop cut…I started having problems that I didn’t see at first, this letting me no option but to rework the whole things out.

I’d really like to have a pop up asking me if I really want to rip the selection when I press v…

sorry for my noobiness on this one…but I was quite pissed off when it happened :stuck_out_tongue:

I had no idea Blender generated a quit.blend file when you exited it, and I expect most newbies don’t realise this either. I wonder how many have thought they’ve lost their work when it’s in fact saved in the quit.blend file? Also, what is the behavior when there is already a quit.blend in existance? Does this file get renamed? Does Blender save the current quit state in a file with a different name? Does the old quit.blend simply get overwritten?

People expect applications to warn about unsaved work and give the option of saving when they quit an application with work they haven’t saved. The fact that Blender behaves differently is a violation of the Principle of Least Astonishment.

I’ve been CAD user for more that ten years. I know CAD soft like the back of my hand.

Cad heavily relies on contextual menus. When a contextual menu is activated, no option is highlighted. Besides, contextual menus appear (if possible) right and below the mouse cursor.

In this way, selecting an option in contextual menus (like zoom in cad soft) becomes automatic, because you get used to a particular mouse movement to reach that option, at the end this movement is memorised and becomes automatic.

Finally you navigate the most used contextual menus in a second, almost without looking at them.

I’m talking about using software intensively, for eight hours a day.

No one software I’m aware of apart from Blender makes default entries in contextual menus and changes contextual menu positions when appearing.