Women in Afghanistan and Iran!

489 days since the Taliban BANNED teenage girls from school and 33 days since the Taliban BANNED women from university.

#LetAfghanGirlsLearn
#LetHerLearn

2 Likes

Women’s Leadership: Towards Parity in Power

Saadia Zahidi, Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya, Masih Alinejad, Gretchen Whitmer and Arancha Gonzalez Laya speaking at the world economic forum about women in leadership roles.

2 Likes

490 days since the Taliban BANNED teenage girls from school and 34 days since the Taliban BANNED women from university.

#LetAfghanGirlsLearn
#LetHerLearn

2 Likes

On 28 Sept 2022, the Iranian singer Shervin Hajipour, posted the song, “Baraye” on his Instagram account supporting the protests in Iran. It got more than 40 million views until it was pulled down by the security forces after arresting him.

The singer, composed the song from tweets sent by Iranians following Mahsa Amini’s death. Many of the tweets blame the country’s social, economic, and political ills on the clerical regime.

In the song, he tells the world why the Iranian people are protesting. He mentions everything the people of Iran are yearning for, from dancing in the streets freely to the lost dreams of the kids.

Shervin Hajipour posted the song, “Baraye” — which means “for the sake of” or “because of” — on his Instagram account on 28 Sept 2022. It got more than 40 million in 48 hours. On 29 Sept 2022, he was
arrested by security officers in Tehran.

On 29 Oct 2022, the British band Coldplay, performed the song in a concert with the exiled actor Golshifteh Farahani in Buenos Aires to support the Iranian protests.

Read more at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/10/04/iran-protests-song-shervin-hajipour-arrested/
Read more at: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/oct/31/coldplay-iranian-protest-song-baraye

2 Likes

The most touching part for me in this song was when he mentioned at 2:59,

“Because of the banned girl who wished she’d been born a boy”

This small sentence says so much. Why girls in such countries wish for it? Have we ever asked that question to ourselves? Its not that they really want to be boys, it’s because they believe that something must be wrong about being a girl, which might be why they are treated differently. They feel inferior to the opposite sex, a property of the man.

You might think that wishing to be born a boy is a small thing, but it is not. The craving for freedom girls feel in such countries, ah, I’ve felt it all my life, and unfortunately I still crave it. I also wished to be born a boy in many stages of my life. But now I am proud to be a girl, as now I know how to fight with the society and people.

I am really sorry if I annoy anyone here on Blender Artists with this thread. But I just can’t sit and do nothing when there are girls around the world shackled in discrimination. And, although I might not have a loud voice but even if its a whisper, I will speak up for my sisters and brothers who wish for an equal world.

2 Likes

I didnt know about this issue. Some of my parents were from iran but I never followed their politics. Good to know about this stuff but what can we do about it?

1 Like

Hi Andrews,

Thank you so much for taking an interest in this subject.

What the outside world can do is share their story, you can tweet, comment, post on this subject. I myself am not from Iran nor Afghanistan but what I do is tell the world their sorrows and their pains. We can become their voice as the social media in these countries is curtailed. Just make sure their voices are heard in every corner of the world and their revolution does not die away.

Spread the message!

Thanks,
Alina

1 Like

491 days since the Taliban BANNED teenage girls from school and 35 days since the Taliban BANNED women from university.

#LetAfghanGirlsLearn
#LetHerLearn

2 Likes

Over 19,500 people have been arrested and 522 killed since Iran protests began.

About 20,000 people have been arrested, among them 687 students, 110 on charges that could lead to a death sentence. They include a doctor, a rapper, a karate champion, a barber and an actor, sons, grandsons and fathers. Four have been executed.

At least 522 people have been killed in four months of anti-government protests in Iran, said a report issued by the Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA). Among the dead are 70 minors and 68 security forces, the agency reported.

But the young generation is still protesting for their basic human rights despite the threats. The protests are not ceasing anytime soon as the more they try to force them back, the more the people of Iran are determined for their freedom.

Internet and social media are curtailed in Iran but despite this, activists and journalists are trying their best to cover the revolution.

Read more at: https://www.voanews.com/a/monitor-516-killed-since-iran-protests-began/6901960.html
Read more at: https://www.nytimes.com/article/iran-protests-death-sentences-executions.html

3 Likes

492 days since the Taliban BANNED teenage girls from school and 36 days since the Taliban BANNED women from university.

#LetAfghanGirlsLearn
#LetHerLearn

1 Like

Taraneh Alidoosti, star of the Oscar-winning movie “The Salesman,” was detained for 3 weeks after she made a post on Instagram expressing solidarity with the first man executed by the government during the nationwide protests.

Taraneh Alidoosti is regarded as one of the most influential Iranian actors of her generation. She starred in the 2016 Oscar-winning film “The Salesman.”

In November 2022, Alidoosti had expressed solidarity with the protesters and criticized the government for carrying out their first execution of Mohsin Shekari. She had also uploaded a photo of herself to Instagram with no hijab. Hair exposed, she held a handwritten sign with the words that have become the Iranian protests’ rallying cry: “Women, Life, Freedom.

On December 17 2022, days after she criticized the Iranian state’s use of the death penalty against protesters, Alidoosti was arrested for “failing to provide proof for some of her statements."

Over 600 artists from around the world signed a petition urging Iranian authorities to release Alidoosti. The list included leading figures from world cinema including, Pedro Almodovar, Penelope Cruz, Juliette Binoche, Alfonso Cuaron, Mark Ruffalo and Ken Loach.

On 4 January she was released on bail, nearly three weeks after she was jailed.

Read more at: https://www.npr.org/2022/12/17/1143842432/iran-arrests-actress-taraneh-alidoosti-protests
Read more at: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/17/iranian-actor-taraneh-alidoosti-arrested-after-criticism-of-death-penalty

2 Likes

493 days since the Taliban BANNED teenage girls from school and 37 days since the Taliban BANNED women from university.

#LetAfghanGirlsLearn
#LetHerLearn

1 Like

494 days since the Taliban BANNED teenage girls from school and 38 days since the Taliban BANNED women from university.

#LetAfghanGirlsLearn
#LetHerLearn