woohoo!!!! Got Ubuntu Live CD Today!!!

…Not that I’m switching any time soon; that’s why I got a Live CD just so I could try it out…:wink:

After some careful re-reading of the cd jacket[it came with instructions; you’ll know what I’m talking about if you’ve ever used Ubuntu’s Shipit thing on their website…].

So I restarted my machine with Ubuntu Live CD in the drive…

Then a menu came up.

The first option was “start or install”

There was another one that said “start in safe graphics mode”

I didn’t think that applied and the rest were invalid too[in my case] so I chose “start or install.”

Then it started “booting” up which I was sort of worried that it was installing, even though it said on the cd jacket that it wouldn’t change anything, and that you had to double-click the install icon.

That haden’t appeared yet, so I assume I’m safe for now.

I just got a little panicky and killed the power. :smiley:

So, was I on the right track?

Anyone familiar with that? :stuck_out_tongue:

[BTW the Ubuntu I have is of course the latest one; Ubuntu 6.06 LTS “Dapper Drake”.]

Oh, dear goodness! Keep away from that thing!

On a side note, I’ve tried this and the previous release, but I guess I’ll have to wait for the next one due to kernel version related mouse issues.

LOL!!! Thanks for pointing that out :stuck_out_tongue:

But…could someone answer my question…?:cool:

Thx…

I did the EXACT same thing. I could show you the ubuntuforums.org post, if you wish… :wink:

You were safe. And if you want any dual-boot help, just lemme’ know, or any other help, for that matter. I’m a recent convert.

It doesn’t install or change anything unless you actually click the install icon.

Yes, you can install it only by clicking install icon (that icon is on the desktop that loads from the LiveCD).

Ahh…ok. So “start or install” is the correct option I assume? :smiley:

Sure that’d be great.

I think I will try it again :stuck_out_tongue:

[This forum sure is picky about it’s emotes :p]

Ya and we got a linux friends thread going in the other software -area, see link in my sig, we got ubuntu, gentoo, debian and arch linux users so far, join the fun!

Will do! :slight_smile:

Welp, I let it do it’s thing and the desktop did come up.

Played around with some things; tried firefox, nibbles(:D), and openoffice.

I have to say I really liked it. It’s nice having a change after using windows so often. :smiley:

I’ll have to figure out how to do a dual boot installation one of these days.

With 2GB as a minumum of space it shouldn’t be that hard :slight_smile:

Welcome to the linux club :slight_smile: I’ve been using it since 5.10 and its one of the best linux distros I’ve tried. I’ve gone from Slackware to Redhat to Ubuntu. When I got to Ubuntu, I got rid of Windows. Dual boot with Windows is not hard though, I believe the installer detects the Windows partition and asks you whether or not you want to add it to the boot loader.

BTW: The upgrade from 5.10 to 6.06 didn’t go very well for me. I ended up blowing away 5.10 myself. Also, you can get current version and upgrade to proper linux kernel for your processor/platform through dpkg or adept or apt or synaptic. In either case, the new kernel is added to the boot menu and you can switch kernels on startup.

From your post I see that you ordered the CD, rather than burning it yourself. Do you have dial-up, or no CD-burner?

Have fun. My experience wth 6.06 was great. Scanner/Digicam/printer AND USB MP3-player was recognized OUT OF THE BOX without having to install any drivers.

Now I am running XGL with Beryl window manager under gnome.

A far more feature-rich live distro is Knoppix. Ubuntu Live CD is actually almost useless. If you have a DVD drive, look into getting the Ubuntu Live DVD— it has enough software included to keep you busy for weeks.

PlantPerson - just wanted to note:

The core idea behind any debian derivative (ubuntu, kanotix, knoppix, mepis…) is that software comes in online repositories. While its nice to have a local copy in CD or DVD form, having online repos that you will always have the newest version, and thus means you will never use these dvds anyway (too much hassle - when you can just click).

Ubuntu is not meant to be used as much as a LiveCD (as an desktop) - where Knoppix is. Ubuntu installed is one of the best desktops out there.

Knoppix, when installed, is just plain stripped down debian, with plain jane installer and not a lot to help a newbie along the way.

I haven’t tried Knoppix yet, but like the above poster said, Ubuntu is not supposed to be used as a LiveCD. It is just so that you can check it out before (or while) installing. Watching a dvd on the pc while installing an OS is quite fun. Try to do that with the other “operating system”. (he he he OS flame war)

I’ve used some other distros before (eg. plain old debain, suse), but Ubuntu is my favourite. Congrats on choosing a great distro.

(can’t wait to see how edgy eft will be once it is officially released in 6 days)

Tried Ubuntu but didn’t like it, it just seemed like yet another linux distribution, nothing new in it. It claims to be user friendly but it lacks a decent graphical administration tool. Hand writing config files isn’t user friendly, I just don’t have time for it.

Since I switched my rigs off ubuntu and onto SUSE I have found administration and setup has become alot easier and more trouble free, YaST2 and SaX2 are incredible apps.

Just my 2 cents

+2 more cents on previous post

Sluke

Tried Ubuntu but didn’t like it, it just seemed like yet another linux distribution, nothing new in it. It claims to be user friendly but it lacks a decent graphical administration tool.

Nonsense. Ubuntu has great graphical administration tools. I think the problem was between the chair and the keyboard…

Nonsense. Ubuntu has great graphical administration tools.

Thats Kubuntu not Ubuntu m8

Ubuntus Administration tools are designed for simplicity. And can be accesed through the Systems Menu at the top. Systems > Administration to modify the entire entire O/S like package management, User accounts, printers, networking etc, and Systems > Preferences to modify personel details like screensavers, resolution, passwords etc.