Create your own Blender with new modifers and faster rendering

Sounds good. Learning on an unstable system sounds rather unpleasant.

I have being using Blender 2.8 for some projects and is stable enough for my needs and fixes are coming in quickly. For myself I have no interest in wasting time learning Blender 2.7 when I only plan in using Blender 2.8.

2 Likes

Then I’ll do both, it’s only a small overhead as only the modifier code has really changed.
Anyway, you are kind of lucky to manage to not trigger any important bug with 1300+ being still opened :slight_smile:

I’m streamlining the code a lot at the moment to make it as simple as possible, while keeping the functionality and speed improvement. Actually in some cases, making the code lighter also made my workflow as a user better even.
Some commit’s “lines of code / benefit” ratios will surprise you I think :slight_smile:

Definitely interested in learning this as well. Have wanted to add an own (really trivial) modifier for a long time, maybe this is the kick-start to finally be able to submit it as a diff. How can I enter the course?

It will be available soon, I’m just adapting to the first feedbacks. I took one total beginner to ensure the beta already is as smooth for the students as possible. I’ll first release in English, then finalize French and German. I hope to be able to release the 4 first chapters this WE, the fifth one should come the week after.

1 Like

This sounds really fantastic. Thankyou for taking the time to do this.

Sign me up now I really want to learn this stuff.

Frank

does this project has any relation to Blender101?

It’s only related to 101 in the sens that it allows you to add new functionality to better fit your workflow, which is also a part of 101 goal. But it’s a course. Blender 101 is a project from the BF for an easy to use Blender for children / non-professionals.

The modifier part is now fully ported to 2.8. So I can start to make the according part of the tutorial and as a student you can then freely decide if you work on 2.7x or 2.8x :slight_smile:

Sounds coool! I’m definitely interested

wow… do i have to sign in somewhere?

The beta opens tomorrow.

Definitely interested in this! I’ve found the developer documentation can be a bit tough to follow, even to just get a version from source code built and running, let alone changing anything.

How can one take part in it?

C’mon @bliblubli get this party started!

Just kidding, take your time and make sure it rocks…

ok guys,
the beta is opened with 40% off, but first limited to 10 people to get quality feedback and support to the students.
At the moment, you get

• the build with the Cycles patches for up to 2.4x faster cuda and 1.15/1.2x faster OpenCL
  • the source code
  • the documentation with the commands, links for the tools, some nice addresses to find some treasures :slight_smile: etc.
  • The videos for the 3 first chapters for Windows, Linux and Mac.
    With this, you can already create a very customized builds without writing a line of code yourself.

You can get it here: https://gumroad.com/l/ecycle/u95l6ut

The gumroad link states that it can not be purchased at the moment. Has it allready sold 10 times and is now locked or is it not oppened yet?

Should be fixed now.

OK, got my copy and will be reporting. But probably next year :wink:

You know bliblubli, im In.

Hopefully this will be a good enough start to keep me interested and make my own personalized version of blender.(i really want to understand how the ui and the way the user does stuff in it… :slight_smile: )