Work from Home

How dose sombody with no education get a work at home design job?

What do you mean by no education? Someone who knows nothing, or someone who hasn’t gone to college maybe?

First of all, don’t say “a person with no education.” There is no reason to present yourself to any potential employer by giving them a specific reason not to hire you.

Next, think about what you can bring to the table … and think about it as a business proposition. What do you know how to do, what services can you offer, either for sale (as a contractor) or for hire (as an employee)? The bottom line in either case is that you want to persuade someone to buy something from you… for a payment or for a salary.

Do you have (you don’t need to answer this publicly) a particular physical reason to need to “work from home?” Or is it merely a personal preference? How would you “make this work” for your customer or employer?

spam email.

Alltaken

This is an issue I have been thinking about. I am still in highschool but I would like to get a job in the industry. But, as you can see, I cannot relocate somewhere else to get a job. It would have to be at home through the internet. I have tried this before and it isn’t easy. This is because, you only get to talk to your boss and co-workers on an IM app. It is also difficult to get much done in your spare time. That is why working like that can be difficult.

This is why I have decided to hold off untill I graduate collage before I really start seeking a job. I will spend the time I have now preparing myself for that. I will try to become as experienced as I can untill then. Granted, I don’t intend to stop looking for something good, and if I do find something I think I can do, I may give it a shot anyway. But for the time being, I intend to advance my skills and tweak my resume to the point at which I will have a lot less difficulty finding work.

Although your situation may be totally different, this is just how I am coming at it. Just a thought.

TraceR

And they say evolution causes man to become better

:stuck_out_tongue:

natural selection doesnt work.
WAY too many idiots on this planet.

Sundial and TraceR make some good points. The other thing to remember is that the relationship with your “customer” (read: boss) is the most important factor in your success. Its something that must be nurtured and cherished, especially in the design field, beyond any other aspect of the work. It is the relationships that lead to recommendations and references for further work, and the foundation upon which you build your business little by little. I’m really terrible at this (big surprise there, eh? %| ) and so I’m stuck selling my 8-a-day to “the man” in return for a pittance and barely scrapin’ by on a ramen noodle and mac-n-cheese lifestyle. (Okay, maybe its not that bad, I guess I’m blessed more than many, undeservedly so…)

It’s been artificially replaced with the concept of, “Hey, don’t the unfittest deserve to survive too? Sure mister, I have some spare change. Here, take $100.”

I’m working from home designing websites at the moment. I still have to go to the office every now and then for other things, but otherwise I can send and recieve files through email. I could work at the office if I wanted to, but it’s pretty far away.

I repair computers at home. Had my first customer a week ago. No new costomers sence. So until I do some more advertising, I make a grand 30 dollars a month from my ‘work at home’ business.

While you’re building your stunning demo reel, don’t forget to develop other skills. You need to have something to fall back on in case the graphics thing doesn’t work out for you.

But I guess you could always get a McJob…

haha, that is true. Hmm… My other skills… hhmmm… lol. I think there are just so many options in the industry, you are bound to find something that works for you.

Hi Nintendo777,

I also have desires to work from home. I’m British and stuck in Germany (a country that happens to have a very high unemployment rate, among other things).

I don’t wish to spend all my time jumping through hoops for the bureaucrats so I spend a lot of my time searching for alternatives. I use to make money with yu-gi-oh cards by buying them off the local market and selling them Internationally via eBay.

The problem was, any profit that I ever made, was lost to certain cards not selling well. Sometimes I would make 200% profit on a yu-gi-oh card, but at the same time, spending 10-15 Euros on a card that sold for 1 Euro. It’s always a risk and you really need to do your research.

My next idea is to print out some of my work, frame it and try to sell it at a local market. It’s worth a try but I don’t think I’ll earn that much if anything at all.

It seems that whatever I try, I don’t end up earning ll that much extra. What ever you decide to do, make sure it is to some extend a reliable income, even if it`s not all that much you can always expand later and increase the scale of your private money making machine.

Good luck

Probably the main reason why work-at-home efforts fail is that the people involved have no real grasp of how business works.

If you have worked all your life as an employee, for instance, you understand how your particular craft works, but you never see the entire business. The people who set up the business created an environment in which you could focus upon your craft without too many distractions, and they also set up an environment where your paychecks arrive “like clockwork” and you never see where the money comes from. You don’t know what it’s like to create an invoice, “net 30 days,” and get paid in 75 and then only after you turned Nazi Collection Agent. You also don’t know what it’s like to pursue business, to sell your business and do so against stiff competition, to price the work, to write an effective contract, to sit all day in a courtroom trying to enforce one, and on and on and on and on and on.

If you’re a student, still in high school, then you really are “green as grass” (pardon me for saying so) and you’re a long way from being able to fly out of the nest on your own and make it without smacking the ground or getting hit by anti-aircraft fire. The right thing to do right now is to … learn your chops. And also, learn business. That means being an employee for about ten years or so… and observing. Watch how office politics works. Watch how managers, good and bad, deal with it. Read fiancial statements. And, do it all from the protected environment of an employee. Try not only to observe other people but to observe yourself.

You may well decide that being an independent is simply not for you. In the world of CG, I think it would be extremely hard to be a successful independent because the work is so gosh-darned labor-intensive. You have to complete projects quickly and that takes a team. (If you want to see a good manager at work, closely watch the documentaries in the Extended Edition LOTR-3. Watch the fellow who’s talking to the director at one moment and relaying instructions to an animator next. Notice the flicker of office-politics when one fellow says, with a slight flash in his eyes, “I work for the director.”

All of this is grist for the mill. Don’t pursue your dreams based only on what you think you want. Business is not about what you want; it’s about what the customer wants. Business is not about starting up a company based on dreams. Business is about starting a company, based on solid well-thought-out plans.

Good luck in your endeavors. If you are cut out for business, let nothing stop you. But, be thou wise!

bah work at home are scams… I work @ home 25 bucks a month maintaining a website =_= I am supose to get more offers but they never happend. I learned to never make a deal and start working unless there is money in you hand to begin with.

but that whole, mail letter and make 755 bucks a week? errmm no… First you pay like 30 bucks for alist of companies YOU call and ask if you can mail their trash, and then you pay for all the envelopes,stamps and spit. not worth it… If you dont money to start with, its not possible to work @ home…

Ebay trading was mentioned and from my short experience with ebay, I already come to the conclusion that it seems to favour the buyer in many ways including the final price. The best way to make a profit is to buy in bulk so that the individual price of each item is much lower than selling each one separate.

My dad was looking at a liquidation site that sells bulk stuff from bust companies. Unfortunately the twat doesn’t have enough to buy the goods nor pay the huge shipping costs so not much point there. Plus you have to make sure you sell enough of the items without making a loss. Risky.

You could also do stocks and shares from home. I’ve known people who have made a few thousand pounds doing that. This is very risky.

As someone said, you need collateral to buy stuff in order to sell. If you want to sell art, that’s not so much necessary (unless people want prints) but if you nip over to CGTalk, you will see the kind of competition you have daily. Sadly there are some people who are very talented and should be paid lots but are forced to work for next to nothing. If people who are really good are forced to do that, the only chance you have is to sell yourself hard.

Sure you feel like a dirty whore but that’s what the industry seems to encourage. There are people who produce utter garbage but it’s because they can convince other people that it’s not garbage that they make money (the story of the Emperor’s New Clothes for example or pretty much all of modern art).

Well, if you want to work in the game or entertainment industry, I would say a better phrase would be “freelancing”. Working at home just rings of those all caps scam advertisments you see in the help wanteds.

If you want to work at home doing graphics for video games… you gotta have a buttload of experience in the business. Usually you can only get jobs such as conceptual/enviro design for games. I do know of a hollywood movie matte painter who works from home, but, heh, thats freakin Craig Mullins.

If you want to work at home doing web work, thats usually quite a bit more accessible.

Something I was going to do for awhile is touchup photographs, which includes preperation and optimization for the web. So there’s that avenue too. I was also going to get into fixing and building computers. So consider that as well if your proficeient enough with hardware.

Now the biggest hurdle for me doing it, is understanding all the business license and tax crap. In most states you do have to register yourself as a sole propietership if your freelancing, unless your under a contract through another company (even then sometimes you still do depending on how the business works)

After that comes marketing… have fun with that! Although if all you want to do is fix peoples computers, having business cards made up and passing them out works really well from what I’ve heard.

I’ve worked at home for much of my working life. Luckily, it’s all been pretty “good” stuff, too. Music guy, web design guy, interface guy, illustrator. They’re different hats but essentially follow the way the market works, so it’s not a big stretch to find yourself doing this stuff if you want it.

The problem is, the grass is always greener on the other side. Everyone I know who works from home either wants to “open up a studio” or go “work in a posh office at some big company”. You see, if you are married with kids, the kids bug you until you install a deadbolt on your office door. Then the wife still thinks of you as stay-at-home gopher and asks you to run errands.

If you’re not married, you get sick of sitting in the same place all day, every day, and you just want to leave. Your friends wonder if you really do work at home.

I should mention that it is very annoying when you tell people “I work from home” and they say, “oh that’s too bad, I’ll keep my eyes open for jobs for you. I hear Home Depot is hiring.” You will want to hit these people in the center of the forehead with a drywall hammer.

So beware - lusting after this idea of working at home as a teenager or otherwise young person is probably not the best idea. A lot of people will say, “sure, I will hire you and you can work at home.” And that’s where things start to go sour. I had my fill of those little jobs back in college, believe me.

I could go on and on about this. Anyway, the point is, don’t think that working from home is all that great. It’s different. It can beat working at a bad McJob. But it can also be really demoralizing and boring. And you pick up some bad habits, thinking no one is watching you. (Don’t pick that nose!) :slight_smile: