Workflow for Comic Book Project?

If I were to start with a figure, say, that already had a naturalistic skin image texture applied, and then added a Toonkit node, would I be able to keep information from the original image texture mixed with toon shading? I really want to be able to preserve those kinds of details in some areas, like in defined mid-range zones.

Yes, that’s not an issue. The ToonKit setup you’d want would be pretty much the same as what I show in my eevee tutorial, but without having to work around stuff, and some features more convenient. But you’d follow the same idea of breaking out shading, color, etc into different passes.

So your Texture is going to be plugged into Diffuse color, and then multiplied by the Shading. It will get darkened in the shaded areas, but no detail will be destroyed. (And it also works fine with bump and normal maps, gloss/spec maps, etc. I designed it to work with PBR and other standard maps.)

Cool! Your shader, or possibly Toonkit, sound like an excellent foundation for what I need. What is ‘more convenient’ in Toonkit? I’m big on convenience, but low on budget.

It has its own toon shader nodes, so you don’t need to built a group of them in as many cases, and it doesn’t have the terminator problem. And since it can do multiple lights properly, you don’t have to do strange workarounds to get multiple light sources working (my tutorial covers only a single light source for eevee toon. If you want more, you have to do weird stuff, and you can only have 3 max.) And you can mix it with regular cycles nodes, so if you want indirect light, you don’t need a separate layer.

The main thing is all the features it has.

Sounds good. If it turns out that my daughter’s dog doesn’t need nasal surgery in the next couple of days, I’ll grab it. Thanks!

1 Like

Let’s hope the dog is okay!

Once you get started with it (or if you keep going with Eevee or regular cycles), feel free to ask questions in the BNPR facebook group or discord. I or someone else will be able to help you.

Thank you. I haven’t been on Discord yet, I’ll have to set something up. I dumped facebook last year, but if that’s a good place to communicate with people about this I’ll go back.

1 Like

Discord is best for quick answers and discussion.

The dog, btw, got something up her nose in the middle of the night, had a four minute, violent sneezing fit, and then seemed okay until this morning, when she did the same again, only with blood. The vet couldn’t find anything but irritation, thinks she might have ejected whatever was bugging her, but says to keep an eye on her. I wouldn’t be concerned but we have a lot of foxtails around here and those can be pretty bad up a dog’s nose. She’s a Great Dane, so the vet couldn’t see far enough up her nose to be sure there isn’t something lodged really far up, and we didn’t want to knock her out unless there’s more violent sneezing, and she’s scheduled for surgery just in case, so now we wait. Worst part is, vet says she may have more sneezing fits just because of the irritation… so it’s hard to know when to get worried. So far so good, though- no more sneezing since this morning, despite the vet poking a light up her nostril.
Dogs… sigh… Last week she got skunked, now this…

oh, and how do I find the BNPR server on Discord? I’m in the sign up process now at “join a server” but I don’t know what the proper address is.

Its on the about page of the BNPR website.

Thanks! Found it!

1 Like

@Oscalon

So, I came across this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmS5aQEA1Xw

It’s in Unity, not Blender, and there’s not a lot of info in the discussion (or in the twitter thread he links to) that I’m able to comprehend, but there are some interesting effects ( 0:40, 1:14, for instance). While the author is mostly interested in ‘jitter’ in the animation, the hatch shader produces some nice effects in some places. I can’t tell if the hatching is actually following the 3D form on the ball, near the top, or if that’s just jitter, but it’s interesting in still frames.

1 Like

Yeah, that looks neat. I’ve seen people make these hatching effects in Blender, but I haven’t tried it myself.

Most of these are made by masking in a hatching texture based on the light. Some seem to be camera projected textures, and some UV mapped.

I know i’ve seen discussion of these things come up before in the various BNPR groups. If you ask about making hatching, you’ll probably get an answer.

1 Like