Workflow for creating lots of different characters for a game?

Hello all, it’s nice to be back here on Blenderartists. I hope everyone is well.

I have recently started to venture into the world of game design, and have landed myself a role as the 3D artist for the project.
We are still in the pre-planning stage, mainly since it’s my first time I am just trying to research and wrap my head around workflows and how to go about the things I need to do.

I am currently stumped with one thing in particular, though. Characters.
I have spent a long time teaching myself how to create characters with good topology (uuuggghHHHH), and I am able to create one character like this, but how would I go about creating multiple characters?
At the moment, sculpting each individual character and retopologizing them seems a bit tedious. But at the same time, I can’t exactly imagine creating a low poly “base” mesh and deforming it any easier.

I’m just wondering, what is the best approach to going about this? Do I need to build some kind of base mesh? Do I just need to suck it up and soldier through creating each one individually?

If you have any resources online you think would be helpful in this regard, please link them. I think one of my main problems here is not knowing what to google. I just keep running around in circles !

characters generators may be a good solution, even for sketching.

theres the manuel bastioni lab for close use in blender. CC-BY 4.0 output from unmodified addon.
http://www.manuelbastioni.com/manuellab.php

or makehuman which is more universal and requires importing. CC0 output
http://www.makehuman.org/index.php

please carefully read the licenses for the respective software to avoid any misunderstandings.

both of these are really good resources, thank you!
but i’m wondering if there’s a workflow closer to doing it myself… just made easier. third party programs would indeed help me out quite a bit, but because i’m going for a slightly more stylized style, they’re not as useful as they could be.

maybe I will just stick to sculpting and retopologizing for now. It’s a bit of a pain in the ass, but at least I have full creative control.