Working Between Vertex Paint and UV's

Hello Everyone,
I’m wondering if there is a way within Blender to use Vertex Paint on a mesh, then convert the vertex color information to a UV? The reason why I ask is because I would love to use the Multires feature to boost the vertex count so I can get fine detail into the vertex paint, but then ultimately remove the higher levels while preserving what I had painted on the surface of the multires mesh in the form of a UV. I could then use the UV image to wrap the low poly original.

It’s very reminiscent of the workflow in Zbrush, and while I’ve clicked all around Blender and tried to scour the Internet, I still can’t get it to work or find much written. In fact, with Blender’s Scupt Mode, it would be so sweet to bake out an Ambient Occlusion image at higher levels of Multirez and apply it back to the low poly original.

Anyone have any experience with this or have definitive knowledge that it’s feasible in Blender? Many thanks in advance. This is really vexing.
PS - my experience is still with 2.49. haven’t made the leap to 2.5 just yet

Ya Blender has method to “bake” Vertex color on to a mesh. Look at thislink.

Dear Ridix:
Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you.

You just solved a problem that’s lasted me a week and also saved me $500 on Zbrush.

nerver used this map before

so is there an exaplanation how to use this and is it only for low res BGE modelling
or can be used anywhere ?

Thanks