Would this ASUS GTX650-E-2GD5 GeForce GTX 650 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP

I have a 3 year old, HP Pavilion HPE h8-1020 pc with an AMD Radeon 6570 graphics card. Here are the specs:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02839589

It took about an hour to render a 3 second animation (my first) that had very little going on. A simple snowman sliding on camera and waving. The world’s ambient light was on, and subdivisions were applied to the snowman as well as some colors. That was it. No rigging or anything. Going by the time it took to render each png file, it would take 111 days to render a 20 minute animation if it were no more complex than this one.

Would replacing that card with the ASUS GTX650-E-2GD5 GeForce GTX 650 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 HDCP ready video card help me get manageable render times even if I put it in the same computer? I can’t buy a new computer right now.

The card’s details are here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121714

Your math doesn’t seem exactly right. 3 seconds in 1 hour (assuming 24 fps) is 1.2 minutes per frame (72 frames in 60 minutes) a 20 minute sequence is 28,800 frames. At your current speed, that’s 34,560 minutes or 24 days of rendering…

If you buy a new GFX card and lets say it cuts your rendertime to 1 minute per frame (which would be a pretty good improvement) you’d be looking at 20 days of rendering… so… is it really worth it?

In any event, that’s kinda the way animations go. An hour for a 3 second animation really isn’t bad. Most of the commercial work I’ve done averages about 45minutes per frame on a Quadro K5000 with 4GB’s of Ram. I believe the Gooseberry guys are looking at an hour+ per frame and Hollywood on their super computer and super rendering machine can generally be about 4 hours per frame. So you’re doing ok!!

Have you tried rendering just on your CPU and comparing that time to your GPU? You may be surprised.

Also, I’d make sure your motherboard can work with that card, might take a little research that you may have already done, but sometimes that’s a step people skip and they just assume it will work. Then they get a fun surprise when its the wrong size, slot configuration etc.

Otherwise using a renderfarm service isn’t terribly expensive

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate the better understanding of what normal render times to expect. And I had already tried searching for rendering services (with no idea if such a thing existed) but I seemed to only find CG architectural services that I think are only for having your whole project created for you. Now that I have a new term in my lexicon - renderfarms - I was able to search very easily for such services.

How can I determine whether the CPU or the GPU is used? I thought I could only do that if I have a NVIDIA GPU. I really have no idea now that I think about it whether it was rendered by the CPU of the GPU.

I think my motherboard should work with it. It has a PCIe 2.0 slot, and the PCIe 3.0 should be backwards compatible with it, I believe. It doesn’t have a large profile so no double slot needed. There is also a big enough power supply (300W) and it needs up to 75W. It doesn’t require it’s own power plug on the motherboard. Is there anything else I should watch out for?

JonnyRelentless I have in the last month tried several times to update a Nvidia card in my desktop. And, Windows 7 simply wouldn’t recognize the card. All I had was the HP blue monitor screen. So I had to put my old card back in. Then I finally ran across this. (Link) Which I haven’t tried yet but intend to. Right now I’m assuming F8 will get us to the BIOS on a HP but I could be wrong. Anyway if Windows 7 recognized your new card great but if not…

///

A PCIe3 GPU will work fine in a PCIe2 slot, it will just operate at PCIe2 speeds, which won’t make a difference for Cycles rendering

Thanks, I’ll keep this in mind if I run into trouble.