Would you be willing to help make a new Blender?

anyone know some good c++ compilers(one that actually works and is compatible with all the tutorials out there)?

We are talking about cross-platform (Windows / Linux) support, right? Well I think GNU C++ has ports to both environment:
http://gcc.gnu.org/

Actually I have used that compiler (MinGW Win port), and it has worked well for me.

That’s for creating and compiling bulk code.

For creating GUI with all buttons and dialog windows, there are some cross platform libraries, I found this list:
http://www.hal9k.com/cug/links/subject31.htm

And to generate good looking and fast graphics OpenGL is obvious, as it has cross-platform support:
http://www.opengl.org

Someone out there may know better tools, but those may be a starting point…

is this all talk or is it gonna start.
I suggest a project leader and a website is created.
I also suggest a modeler is made first it is a good ground to start on.

A dedicated web site would be best. Until then, how about a dedicated forum here at elYsiun?

The subjects to consider are too numerous for one discussion thread. For instance…

1. where does one start? (I agree, the modeler should be first)
  2. what should the GUI look and feel like? (can’t be too blenderesque, lest we attract the attention of the lawyers)
  3. who codes, and who decides who codes?
    I think that a seperate forum section is merrited to cover these and more topics.

Warren

P.S. Anyone who feels qualified to take part in the leadership of the project, don’t be shy. Remember, it doesn’t have to be (and shouldn’t be) a one man/woman show.

and again: we first should wait for ton’s comment…

Ton: Just ‘starting over’ doesn’t look too realistic to me now.

Didn’t he gave us his answer several days ago?..

That would be the sensical thing to do.

Any part of the IP Ton can free, either by shaking NetVenture’s palm three or because he can proove ownership would be that much code we won’t have to write and debug and rewrite…
That would also be more considerate. I wouldn’t mind to have Ton associated to the project in any capacity he’d agree, would it simply be ‘Spiritual Father’, one much younger than I, I bet ! :smiley:

But it should not keep us from discussing general desing considerations, (interface, function, portability, dream list, interoperability with other softs…) would it be just for the fun of dreaming. This has more chances to be a winner than dreaming of what to do with the lotery jack pot, certainly.

Shouldn’t we put up that web site by now, find tools to sum up and give order to our discussions ?

I’d also propose one minimal rule : respect for others.
No matter what are our levels of frustration at one moment, and I have personal issues with that, we must not air it out here and disgust most persons of good will from the project.

Well it was awfully close to being definitive, you’re right.
Yet, there is the question of the IP that he left open and that could proove of concern for us.

Just out of curiousity does anyone have hands on experience with GTK+ 2.0 or 1.3.0? Send me a page if you do.

This sounds like a great idea, but it probably won’t get off the ground.

20 people: “Sounds great, I’ll help!”
Project leader: “Yay!”
2 months later
16 people: “Wait… you mean I actually have to WORK? Oh, never mind then. Goodbye.”
Project leader: “Oh shit.”

You may be right. But there ARE many open source projects which have succeeded. Projects which have required as much or more work than 3D modeller/animator/render will. How did they do it?

• enthusiasm
  • commitment
  • patience
  • skills
  • vision

To swallow an elephant, it has to be cut in small pieces. A project like this can have a big vision, but it should have smaller milestones all the way on the road.

Let’s say that it does or doesn’t. Is there anybody’s life depending on it ? I will participate for the sheer fun of it. And I will keep at it because I love having fun.
For example, I’m blendering at my humble level every chance I get. I always learned better if I take notes so I do. I am not half bad at making things clear so I devised a simple html display for those notes and leave them on a site. When people see them they think : “Hey, tutorial !” or “Hell, it’s becoming a book” (Those people shouldn’t say : “Hell” :wink: ) . But all it costs me is having fun. Don’t like crossword, bored by chess (at least by me playing it) so I do 3D, have great fun, leave traces.

will this project be open-source?

if so

please code it in Java

I think the Java idea is great. The 3D stuff in Java seems to be progress pretty well. I’ll chip in if it is done in Java.

I haven’t followed the developpement of Java so I have this question : is the question of speed of execution completely lifted now compared to C and C++? It is of first importance in 3D.

Yes, I believe it’s a lot quicker and with a Just-In-Time compiler execution speed should be fairly comparable. But then weigh up speed verses other factors. Check out…

http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/3D/

PLEASE DON’T CODE IT IN JAVA

nice and snugg C++ but NO JAVA,… I repeat NO JAVA

Thanks for your attention :slight_smile:

Ok… who had to start the religious war between Java and C++ :). They both have there own unique places. As for building a modeller I’d be slightly concerned as previous JRE’s leak memory very badly. Not good when you’re talking about several thousand objects in memory :).

Why would anyone want to write an app like this in Java? It would be like giving a wild monkey an uzi.

I would advice using c++ with fltk.
www.fltk.org

I have started creating my own modeler and so far I have had great
compatibility between platforms. The app has compiled fine on windows
linux and macosx.

http://green.dyndns.org/tmp/gl.exe

Java would be a horrible step to go.
It is slow and requires third party software on the client pc to run.

just stick with c++ and fltk and go all out ansi c and it will be fine.

I think to code a complete new programm was the best way.

btw when u code it make 3 programms

1. a modeller
  2. a animator
  3. a programm for games