wrong modelling technique?

hi everyone!

so, this is my first post - since i’m a newbie i mostly spent time on this great forum reading posts instead of asking the questions every newbie would ask.

so, i have read a few posts, a few tuts and dozens of tips & tricks and finally started working on something. it’s - suprise! - a human model. it’s still in a not-even-pre-alpha-stage and i have stumbled across an item i don’t get.

what i basically did was this: use a cube to create everything, extruding, slicing, rotating and moving it to create the … erm, thing that it is now. then i applied a subsurf-modifier to get it round. all in all it took me quite some time to create this bloody thing (approx. 12 - 16 hours).

http://www.weirdity.de/blender/test1.jpg

i’m finished the basic shape (i think :o) and am now getting into detail, starting with the legs. and here’s my first problem: i made the legs round, but after i apply the subsurf-modifier, the legs look kind of square on the inside. here’s the blend.

besides that, i think the result so far stinks pretty much. is using my above mentioned method any good? i have read about using curves, but i had a heck of a time to even get something started. [/i]

i hope some one can enlighten me!

thanks!

You just have way too many verts in the leg that are too close together. This makes it look more like a bevelled edge than a round, smooth surface.

Also, since you used a cube to start with, you will need to oush some verts around so that it no longer looks like a cube. Make it rounder in areas and this will also help.

Your legs could use half the verts you currently have and acheive a lot bette results.

BgDM

BGDM said it - you either have to many verts or you have applied a crease but since you are new to blender you probably didn’t do that.

if you need more help and tuts you can find some stuff at Real Effects Studios and the Forum … which also has a Blender Academy and Free Image Hosting for their members! :wink:

Good Luck with Blender!

Prince
RFXS Admin

thanks for the quick replies! i’ll take a look into it. i guess that means that i’ll have to start all over. oh, what the the heck …

oh, by the way, does anyone have an idea how to insert a single vertex in an edge? maybe with the help of a script?

When you are first starting out the best thing to do is copy someone else’s modelling method. What helped me most was the “Joan of Arc” tutorial.

http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/joanmenu.asp

It takes a long time to work your way through it but once you have you will have learned enough to model almost anything. It isn’t made for blender but there is nothing there that can’t be done in blender. If you have any trouble understanding how to do something in the tutorial just ask.

GreyBeard

it’s possible that there are internal faces causing the crease. with the new extrude menu it’s easy to add them without realizing it.

Not this time. I looked at the Blend file he posted. Defintley too many verts and edges too close together in this one.

BgDM

Hi Bernie !

You said :

oh, by the way, does anyone have an idea how to insert a single vertex in an edge? maybe with the help of a script?

Just select the edge and subdivide it or cut it with the knife tool (K key).

Philippe.

thanks for your reply, but that doesn’t seem to do the trick. when i use the knife tool the polygons are being split into polygons. but that’s not what i want. i need to select an edge, and insert a single vertex, either a mouse pointer position or at the center.

or am i doing something wrong? %|

Yes Bernie ! You’re doing something wrong ! :wink:

A lone vertex can be inserted selecting a vertex and clicking on the Left Mouse Button while CTRL Key is pressed. But this new vertex will be connected to the previous by an edge ! You can delete this new edge and you will keep your lone vertex, but I don’t think that this vertex will be usefull in any way.

Later, you will be very worried if you have to search this vertex. Because when you’ll have deselected it, it will no longer have a volume ! A vertex is a point.

Edges are links between 2 vertices and a face is formed of 3 or 4 edges.
If you want to give a material, you will need at least one edge. If you want to render a mesh, you’ll have to calculate normals, and normals exists for faces, not for edges or vertices.

If you split a edge, you’ll have polygons. It is what must happen!

Philippe.

so, does that mean that i can’t achieve something like this:

before (a single cube):
http://www.weirdity.de/blender/square.jpg

after (the same cube, a vertex inserted in one edge):
http://www.weirdity.de/blender/square_and1.jpg

i really can’t imagine that a terrific program such as blender wouldn’t be capable of doing a rather simple operation as this one.

read the modelling thread in my sig for a quick run through of blenders modelling tools. i need to update it though for 2.35.
V
V
V

I don’t see a vertex inserted in one edge. I see a NEW vertex and NEW edges and probably a NEW face. Of course you can do that with Blender.

hi nico, thanks for your help!

so, let me show you what i meant:

before (a single cube):
http://www.weirdity.de/blender/new_square.jpg

and after (with a vertex added at one edge):
http://www.weirdity.de/blender/new_square_and1.jpg

see, so all i want to do is insert a single vertex in one edge, turning a simply square into a 5-sided polygon. the reason for this: i want to extrude it to make an arm for it, so when i when i put a sub-surf modifier it looks more rounded. also, there a few other things i want to do, like extruding a complete hand and so on.

i get the feeling that i’m acting more stupid than i actually am (believe me!) but i just don’t seem to get it!
maybe if some one could help me out with a step-by-step guide (for the very dumb)…

@BgDM: you were right! i used way too many vertices. i found a neat little tut on low-poly modelling using exactly my technique and found out that i somewhere got the totally wrong turn! i found that out when i restarted modelling that darn thing…

thanks for your help, man!