WTH ARE PROCEDURALS

What the hell are they and how do i use it thanks in advance

procedural or procedural textures are textures that are build in to blender - for example: clouds, marble, stucii etc…

thats it???!!! :o :o :o man i use procedurals a lot then :wink: :smiley:

Precedurals have numorous advantages over image textures, you don’t have to worry about mapping issues and are seamless mainly because they are usually generated using math and work with the objects voleum and not just the surface. Just so you know I read a little about them just yesterday.

Procedural textures are ALWAYS generated through a mathematical function. Hence the name, procedural (from a procedure).

Martin

And they do not have “numerous” advantages over image textures…

There’s only one, what you just mentioned, that they are allways seamless, but other than that, Image maps are highly recomended by professionals…

A reasonable combination of both (procedurals and Image textures), could give perfect photorealistic results, but procedurals should never be used on their own…

At least that’s my humble opinion… :expressionless:

You’re forgetting a couple there:

• Procedurals are not resolution dependant, they just have to be evaluated at a different precision to achieve a higher resolution.
  • Procedurals don’t take much HD space (couple of bytes for parameters value in the blend file)
  • Since procedurals are defined by parameters, it is usually easy to add variation for multiples copies of an object. It also makes it easy to tweak.

I also do not agree that procedurals cannot achieve photo realism on their own, but then again, it pretty much all depend on the scene.

Martin

Theeth: Your points are valid, but I’m “examining” the issue from an artistic point of view…

Because of the reasons you just mentioned, most of the time procedurals make our models look good, very good, too good to be “true”…

No procedural can recreate the scratches and worn paint on an object that is “supposed” to have been used over and over again…

To achieve these things, one will definetely need to use Image textures (some times even your own “hand made” ones)…

Just to avoid any confusion, I’m not “bannishing” the use of procedurals and actually I use them a lot as well, but in no case they should be considered as superior to Image textures (at least that’s how I understood Kansas’s reply)…

As I said a reasonable combination of both, depending on what you want to get, can achieve miracles…

ok guys i get it :smiley:

Can u use procedual textures in the game engine?

If so how?

Nope, you can’t.

Martin

I also remember that procedurals are 3D textures (kinda like fractals minus one dimention :slight_smile: ), so if you change the z-offset on a flat plane the texture will appear to “boil”. I remember that being used in that popular shockwave tutorial.

you may not be able to use the procedural textures in the game engine but you can bake the procedural textures prior to using them in the engine.