Wyvern WIP- modeling/texturing critiques needed

I’m working on a new project where I’m teaching myself more about sculpting and texturing (I’ve found the best way to learn is by setting myself a challenge, and I’m still very much learning.) I was hoping to get some critiques on my progress so far- I’ve “completed” the head, but I’m still refining it before I start working on the body in any way.

Note: I know it’s a bit dark, I’m using a night HDRI to light the scene. I plan on using post-processing and compositing to add brightness and contrast when I’m done.

I’m very appreciative for any and all feedback! Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

1 Like

good start !!!
you need to add some musculus details on the head if your aiming to sculpt a dragon head …
you can see photo references to help you …

I changed the HDRI because it was just too dim. @alf0, I’ve been thinking I should add muscle, but I can’t quite figure out where. Do you have any reference images, or just general suggestions on where I should add those?

Thank you so much for taking the time to help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey there Joseph. That’s a pretty good start! I especially liked the UV work on the top of the head.

I noticed that the scales texture work is nice but seems to have little variation.

I took a look at some less colorful reptiles, like this horned viper and noticed that they have some pretty interesting variation in scale color, pattern and size:

I’m not suggesting you make your creature look like a real snake but I would try to use them (or perhaps some other reptile) as reference/inspiration to add some contrast or color variation to your creature.

you make a really good point! Thank you! My main reference so far has been this:

but I’ve just been using this to get shapes right. I have some references of snakes open, and also of lizard skulls, but I really like how that horned viper has so much variation. I think most of my current snake images don’t really have that kind of variation, as they are small, garden type snakes. Thank you for sharing that, I’m definitely going to use it :slight_smile:

hay sorry for the late repaly

generally dragons are scare creatures , so ther face should be more angry ad grumpy

if i have any suggestions , i would led you, to this

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+hopit+smaug&oq=the+hopit+smaug&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.12350j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

you can get inspired by it !!!

1 Like