X amount of Vertices on Earth???

Hey guys,
A few days ago, i was just looking around at nature and then this question popped into my mind.
How many vertices would the whole earth, and everything existing on it, have?
This includes everything you can think of from the core of the earth all the way to the outer atmosphere.
trees…buildings…humans (not just body, but also insides)…grass…clouds…hair…dirt…animals…food…drinks…etc.
I think you get the picture.
So…
How many vertices??? :eyebrowlift2:
When i try to think about how many vertices it could possibly be, my head starts to hurt :spin:.

The world is made of these thingies, and they are everywhere. Can’t compare that to a surface based world made out of vertices.

depends on what size of features you want to represent… when it gets to subatomic scales, vertices don’t make any sense, anyway. What interests us are the visible features. Because vertices are not an exact representation of the real world.
Atmosphere is very homogenous compared to other things on earth so you could neglect the amount of vertices of the atmosphere… same thing applies for the inner core and most of the oceans and their floors (90% of the ocean floor is very “flat” and covered by mud) as well as the continents. So we would actually only have to model the earths surface with its different materials.
Taking all these things into account, one will only have to model the surface of the earths land area which is 148,940,000 km² according to wikipedia.
For the surface to be not recognized as computer-generated, we would have to represent it with an average detail of 1cm² assuming that procedural textures would be allowed for smaller details (some parts like mountains need more detail than this, other flat areas need less… that means we have about 10⁴ vertices/m² * surfacearea = 1.489410¹⁵ vertices
Let us assume 50% of this landmass is covered by vegetation and cities which have more detail than the average (ice-,snow-,rock-) desert.
for a desert-like landscape let us assume for every squaremeter we have about 100 objects which you could pick up. each of these objects would need to have another 10000 vertices to be indistinguishable from the real world. On the other hand our cities, forests, grasslands have much moe detail than a desert so I would increase the amount of vertices in these areas with at least 2 magnitudes (think of a jungle for example) to 10000 objects/m².
This adds for the desert:
100objects/m²10000vertices/object*50%148,940,000 km²=7.44710¹³ vertices which is neglectibale

and for the rest:
10000objects/m²10000vertices/object50%148,940,000 km²=7.44710¹⁵ vertices

adding everything together we get about 9*10¹⁵ vertices for the hole surface to be visually equal to reality using good enough textures…

greetings, tom

hey,
i don’t mean “make it LOOK like the real earth”.
i mean “how many vertices without textures”.
and not to a subatomic level.
to a visible level.
So a mountain for example.

1. The actual mountain model (bumps, cliffs everything)
  2. The rocks.
  3. The dirt.
  4. The grass.
  5. The trees (leaves, bark, roots)
    etc.
    All Models. No textures. :wink:
    I’m guessing a lot more than 100000000000000000000000 X 10^10000000000000000000000000 :eyebrowlift:

Well, you certainly underestimate the power of the Power-Operator.
The amount of atoms in the observable universe is guessed to be about 10^80. And that is probably a reasonable upper bound for the question you ask…

Still. The question does not really make sense :wink:
Vertices are rather “Virtual”, theoretical points in space, have zero-volume, so it would be necessary to develop a notion of “Vertex in Reality”. As long as you don’t specify what you EXACTLY mean, no answer will be a real answer, since there is no real question :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Personally I’d agree with oognsoepje and say that the world is made out of elementary particles…

cant be done, since meshes represent surfaces, and the world is made up of particles :wink:

If you had Broken’s volumetrics you could use procedurals to help represent particles;)

The World may take up exabytes of space, perhaps in the 1000’s, luckily God’s computer has as much hard-disk space as he is powerful.

Your eyes dose not see Atoms so ? The real world is made in the limit of your eyes in the Fine art Theory.

Meaning that World can be represented in form of Polygons/N-Gon`s same like the pc.

The 3d program is based only the way your eyes function not the atomic part.

That said, the world can be represented only the way you see it so ? a rock is a rock and has a total form round cubic etc.

That will make the word to be rendered at some millions of millions of Polygons/N-Gon`s not points

you wanna hurt your head? don’t worry about how many there are, worry about where they came from.

Bwuhahahahahah

(insert dramatic organ music here)

Concerning the original topic question.
The grandfather of a friend of my sister knows the exact amount of vertex and faces.
He also knows the amount of memory they need to be loaded in Blender.
Seriously.

Interestingly enough, The Kraken started playing on my shuffled mp3 list after I read this. The only dramatic orchestral organ song I have out of around 400.

I thought the earth was made of NURBS :wink:

(ps.: this is more an off-topic than a disscussion one)

model an electron, model a neutron and proton, then find the estimated volume/mass each element there is on earth or just on the surface, get out your periodic table so you know how many sub-atomic particles there are, do some multiplication. you might have some trouble with fluids though.

tada.

It has 1024 verticles. I just modeled the whole earth without textures. Press space, add, mesh, UVsphere. Scale down by Z a bit. Tada.

(with a standard deviation of 8.6443 x 10 ^ 9800438295729247210187565)

Pretty strange question. Theres no proper answer i guess, youd have to define exactly what level of detail youd want to measure it all in. ie yoctometre, nanometers, millimeters, centimeters etc etc.

Once you know that its pretty much impossible anyway to even predict the poly count, given the overall detail and amount of objects on/in/around Earth.

there are aproxamatly 1 followed by 62 zeros atoms in the universe., so i would say less than that.

I’ve got earth in 3D on my computer. And I have modelled every milimeter. It took some time, but it’s done…I won’t count it pal, I can give you the blend file if you want. I got your basement and your computer. I even modelled every little thing you got in your pants right now. And man dude, that was complicated to model right…it has such a weird shape lol:p

Is there even reason to believe that among the billions of galaxies and trillions of celestial bodies like stars and planets there’s only enough atoms to get to 62 zero’s?:confused:

100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 seems to be a pretty damn big number to me…

As for the number of vertices on Earth. For a truly high detail sculpted human you can expect there to be at least a million faces. And considering there’s 6 billion humans on the earth that’s 6 million billion (or whatever the big long word for it is) faces for all of the humans… That’s just one mammal too… As for everything else, there are 750,000 species of insect and 1.5 million species of fungi. To be honest, it’s just not worthwhile trying to work out.