YafaRay-E (Experimental) v1.1.0 builds Windows, Linux and MacOSX for Blender 2.76

Hello,

Edit: new release YafaRay-E v1.1.0. Changes respect to the previous version v1.0.0 are:

Hello,

I’ve released a new version of the YafaRay-E (Experimental) testing branch. I’ve prepared builds for Windows 32bit / 64bit, Linux 32bit / 64 bit and Mac OSX 64bit (v10.6 or higher). You have the description of the new version and the download links here:

http://www.yafaray.org/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&p=31294#p31294

For more information, read the README file, the INSTALL file and the CHANGELOG file.

The changes between the last version (v1.0.0) and this version (v1.1.0) are:

Changes to the Core code and build files to enable building for Mac OSX 64bit (v10.6 or higher), based on the excellent work from Jens Verwiebe. Thank you very much, Jens!!

Added a new "Resampled Floor" parameter to the Adaptative AA calculations, to increase the noise reduction performance. The idea is that if the amount of resampled pixels go below that "floor" value during a certain pass, the AA threshold is automatically decreased in 10% for the next pass. More information: http://yafaray.org/node/690

Blend materials can now be selected using drop down menus. This feature has been ported from povmaniaco's The Bounty fork of YafaRay. Thanks, povmaniaco!!

Added a new texture sampling parameter in Blender Exporter to control the type of interpolation in the image texture. Options will be: bilinear (default), bicubic or none. See: http://www.yafaray.org/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5121

Added a per-material parameter to control reception of shadows. Now it's possible to select if a material should receive shadows from other objects (as default) or not. See: http://yafaray.org/node/687

Minor changes for existing material visibility feature to improve (just a tiny bit) performance.

Previous release v1.0.0 information:

This versions includes many fixes and improvements. Most important are:

• Fixes to the Color pipeline and linear workflow. Better Color Management integration with Blender.
  • Fixes to Volumetrics and their inclusion in the Recursive Raytracing process so now they are correctly reflected and refracted like other objects, which fixes an old problem when mixing transparent objects with volumes.
  • Fixed some artifacts with bump mapping.
  • New per-material “visibility” parameter that allows fully visible materials, materials without shadows, materials “shadow only” and fully invisible materials.
  • New per-light enable/disable function and “cast shadows” option, so we can choose if we want each light to cast shadows or not.
  • Other fixes for white dots, and other issues…

Thank you David ! This release is very important for the YafaRay Project.

I would like to point out that this new version of YafaRay and the Blender exporter is not backwards compatible with previous versions of YafaRay and the Blender exporter because of the critical color pipeline bug.

Except from users finishing right now a work with previous versions, we recommend upgrading if you don’t mind about the experimental nature of this new version.

We will keep malfunctioning versions (YafaRay 0.1.5 and beta 0.1.99) available for users needed to review old scenes with a YafaRay version actually compatible with it.

Nice to see development still ongoing. Good job guys!

A question: those volumetrics that there are examples about them in the link below… do they work or there is some problem with them? I am trying to achieve something as those in the examples with the cloudy cubes but all is in vain, the only thing that appears is a monotonous fog like thing. Does really the texture applying on the volumetrics work or there is some problem in it?

It would be very helpful to have a very simple Blender file with such an example, so that we can download it and see the settings…

http://www.yafaray.org/documentation/userguide/volumetrics

Hello,

I will prepare some volumetric scenes for you. I’ll put the download link here as soon as I have them ready.

Hello,

Please download the example Volumetric scenes (updated for latest Blender/YafaRay) from here:

https://github.com/DavidBluecame/YafaRay---unofficial-Builds/raw/master/Volumetrics%20test%20scenes%20(updated%202015-10-15).zip

I hope it helps. Best regards.

hi, got this while installing:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\bluecd\Downloads\blender-2.76-windows64\blender-2.76-windows64\2.76\scripts\modules\addon_utils.py”, line 324, in enable
mod = import(module_name)
File “C:\Users\bluecd\Downloads\blender-2.76-windows64\blender-2.76-windows64\2.76\scripts\addons\Yafaray_init_.py”, line 82, in <module>
from . import io
File “C:\Users\bluecd\Downloads\blender-2.76-windows64\blender-2.76-windows64\2.76\scripts\addons\Yafaray\io_init_.py”, line 22, in <module>
from . import yaf_export
File “C:\Users\bluecd\Downloads\blender-2.76-windows64\blender-2.76-windows64\2.76\scripts\addons\Yafaray\io\yaf_export.py”, line 27, in <module>
from yafaray import PLUGIN_PATH
ImportError: No module named ‘yafaray’

Hello,

I haven’t tested YafaRay under Windows 10.

Please will you try these steps:

• Double-Check that you downloaded the YafaRay-E 1.0.0 build for Windows 64 bit, as the build for Windows 32 bit would not work in your system.
  • Follow the steps in this video, where a guy managed to install (a slightly older version) in Windows 10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bkx8p4IMoQ The audio is in spanish but I guess following the screen activity would still be useful.
  • If that does not help, then please run Blender in a command line (execute cmd.exe and then go with “cd (path)” to the Blender directory and execute “blender”. You will get a lot of lines in the cmd.exe window. After you try to enable YafaRay, capture all those lines and paste them in a reply here.

Thanks and best regards.

Just changed folder name from ‘Yafaray’ to ‘yafaray’ and worked.

Thank you for the feedback! I just tested YafaRay-E v1.0.0 in Windows 10 64bit and it seems to work fine.

David thanks for the scenes… yesterday, late at night, I downloaded them and studied them for hours. There are many things to be learned from them.

Go on, please, with Yafaray… it is a great renderer and would be a pity to be abandoned!

We are looking for a OSX maintainer since Jens can not longer do it. We really want YafaRay to be used by anybody regardless of their hardware and OS choice.

Hello, Álvaro.

I’m doing tests to build YafaRay for Mac OSX, partially based on the files Jens sent me and also with some extra patches I’m generating and the results are promising.

I think that, starting with the upcoming YafaRay-E v1.1.0 I will also be able to include (at last!) a Mac OSX build (64 bit only).

However, due to severe hardware limitations, my testing is very limited. As they will be my first Mac OSX builds there could be issues and problems, but at least we will have a build…

Thanks to the help from Jens, I think I can start providing Mac OSX builds for the YafaRay-E releases from now on.

I’m preparing the builds for the new version YafaRay-E v1.1.0, and the first build I’ve generated is the Mac OSX build (64bit).

For information and download: http://www.yafaray.org/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5122#p31293

I hope you find it useful. I will be generating the Linux and Windows builds soon…

thanks David ! could you explain which are the changes in this release compared to YafaRay 1.0.0?

thanks to you and Jens for this:) playing with it now (OSX version).

One thing I did notice was that changes to material preview do not happen unless another material is selected and then the original is reselected… sort of forcing the update. Is this normal? I don’t recall it working like this in previous releases.

Thank you for the info, I will take a look.

YafaRay-E v1.1.0 has been released for Windows 32bit/64bt, Linux 32bit/64bit and Mac OSX 64bit v10.6 or higher. I’m updating now the initial message and links.

Thank you!

Hello, Álvaro.

I have edited the initial message in this thread with the changes between v1.0.0 and v1.1.0.