Yafray and alpha channel

I would like to put a label on a transparent recipient. Is there a way to use an image texture with alpha channel in Blender’s Yafray plugin. I tried with PNG, GIF and TGA format includiing alpha channel but without success. It works in internal blender rendering but not in Yafray. Any idea how to do that ?

IIRC Yafray cannot handle png. I don´t know whats the problem with the other formats you mentioned.
Maybe it works if you create a black/white jpg-file and push the “CalcAlpha” button in the texture settings.

YES! This is easy.

Load the alpha image into the project, as normal for alpha images. Don’t forget to select that UseAlpha button.

Now, you need to load another NEW image into the project. This just happens to be the same exact alpha image as the first. But here’s what you need to do it…
…in the materials setcion, use the Alpha button instead of the COL button.

That’s all! Render it and see what happens.

Send feedback here. I need to know if this helps you out.

I already experimented it, it works with internal Blender render but not with Yafray. Any other idea ?

Thanks

I already experimented it, it works with internal Blender render but not with Yafray. Any other idea ?

Thanks[/quote]

You should mention blender and yafray vesions you are using.

WindowsXP
Blender 2.37a
Yafray Newest version (have no idea how to see what version I have)
Python 2.4

My best guess is to update everything and it should work.

Do you want me to post a BLEND file that works for me?

Clear Glass in YafRay, with an AlphaChannel image on it.
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze3nvj6/Blender/forum/squigTh.jpg

Click HERE to download this Blend file
Comes with Alpha image packed

I downloaded your blender file and I have the same problem, no label appears. I use more or less the config as you, blender 237a, Yafray 0.08 but Python 2.3 instead of 2.4 ! Could Python be the problem ? Strange, I will download the last version to try …

Hmmm. I guess it has to be Python then. Let us know what happens.

I also tried your .Blend and got no results. I verified your packed image, reloaded it, and no success. I have 2.37, 1010 particle patch build, and 2.40 alpha (python 2.35 and 2.4). Just a nice clear glass bottle. (Using Yafray 8) on win xp pro, celeron 2.4, ATI card.

You must unpack the textures

[quote=“Spin”]

Hmmm. I guess it has to be Python then. Let us know what happens.[/quote]

Ok, it works if I unpack the textures files and that’s great. I notice that the image is in TGA format, how did you produced such an image with alpha channel, I tried to create a TGA image with alpha channet but without success. When I open the image you provided with PS I cannot see any information about the alpha channel, only one layer with no transparency …