Yafray interior

http://jimmey.ath.cx/content/BASEPROF10001x2.png

I wasn’t getting response from the Work In Progress.

My aim with this picture is to achieve ( or get as close to achieving as it possible ) photo-realism.

The two things I need help with:

The cushions, I don’t like them as they are, but I’ve not been able to model any better;

The sofa - Would this benefit from a leather texture, and if so, how would I go about it?

Any other citicisms you have

Thanks

Hi
I guess you could go with a bump map for the texture. and maybe add a cutting line juste on the interior edge of the sofa, some for pillow. If you can’t find a bump map of textile, just model one in an empty scene and render in grayscale.

Thanks - I’ll definately try that.

As I’m the judge, my verdict ( based upon the lack of criticism ) is that this image is over 80% perfect =-D

( Whether that’s the truth, or not :wink: ).

Right, the wooden frames are too blocky and sharp as is that thingy in the corner (bevel just the tiniiiiest amount? Use some texture to roughen it up a little?), making it look unnatural. The sofa suffers from a similar problem, it’s too smooth to really look like anything else than plastic. The pillows are a bit better, as they are crumbled a little.

There are few shading issues with the stools (arond the edges), maybe a normals problem? I dunno.

The main problem is however, the wall texture. Way too big bumps, just way too big. Makes it look like those stiff foam houses kids have and eat in a great succession, if you know what I mean.

If you’re aiming at photorealism, that floor might just be tad too shiny/reflective. But it’s very shopping catalogueish, which is probably what you’re aiming for so it’s no biggie.

great job on the lighting, though.

Thanks for your input!

I’ll re-calculate the normals on the stools ( the shading issues were worse than that, I tidied it the best I could with GIMP ).

I’ll keep the same shinyness to the floor, but make the reflection less clear, perhaps?

I’m still working on the sofa - Playing with textures, etc.

I’ll post an update soon.

Thanks!

Very nice work, but I have a few observations:
1: As Jim9137 said, the wall texture is too much. Modern walls are usually very smooth, unless you intend it to be plaster.
2: A room with a wood floor usually looks better with a wood base molding (instead of painted base molding).
3: The addition of a window, complete with wood frame and wood trim, would do wonders for the scene.
4: The wood frames hanging on the wall need work done on the grain direction. A real frame is made from four separate pieces of wood, with the grain running the long direction on each piece. Joints may be mitered or coped.
5: Maybe it’s my monitor, but the scene seems overly contrasty to me.

I’ll look forward to your updates.

I can’t help but notice these little problems:

1. The floor lots more like marble then wood (very polished and shiny kinda like glass wood)

2. The chair seem a bit too plastic as with the other two blocks

I’ve toned down the texture, I’ve not had time to take a close look at the latest render, but I’m sure it looks better now. There’s still bumps, they’re just less noticable.

A room with a wood floor usually looks better with a wood base molding (instead of painted base molding).
Could you please elabourate a little on this point? I’m not too sure what you meant.

I’ll completely re-model the mirror frames, using four different sections. The bevelling on the current model just didn’t work.

I’ll definately work on the window frame, I just need to search for a texture that’d suit it. Should I model with window frame in the same way I did ( or am going to ) the mirror frame?

Maybe it’s my monitor, but the scene seems overly contrasty to me.
Could you also please elabourate on this point?

I’ve toned down the reflection on the wood, and just generally playing with the settings to get a better look. I’ll post an update soon.

I understand what you’re saying about the chair, but I’ve not yet learned how to achieve the leather texture I want ( unless you’re speaking of the modelling, in which case could you give me some pointers? )

Thankyou all for your time and input, I really appreciate it.

Looks like you’re off to a good start. Out of curiousity, are you hosting the image on your own machine (or some other machine that’s not always on)? It seems like it’s been broken once or twice when I’ve come to look at this thread, and other times it’s here. Maybe that’s why you were having a hard time getting critiques.

One thing that jumps out immediately is the huge white space of the window. Are you planning to leave it like that, or put some sort of backdrop in in post pro? I’m honestly not sure what would be better. A lot of pasted-in backgrounds really detract from the Yafray room scenes that I’ve seen here in the past, but a lot of people will also tell you that huge amounts of flat white do the same thing. At this point I’m just curious as to what you have in mind.

I see you’ve got a second (full length) hole in the wall next to the window to let more light in. It seems to work well, but it’s a little bit distracting to have that light-colored strip of wall right at the edge of the image. I’d be inclined to either move it out of the frame entirely (and maybe make the other window wider to maintain the distance between them) or have more of it showing so it doesn’t look something you just forgot to crop out.

The placement of the objects in the room - especially the ones on the wall - seems a bit arbitrary, like the scene was composed specifically “for” a render rather than “caught” in its natural state. Am I correct in assuming, for example, that both of the foot stools are almost perfectly parallel to the walls and the couch?

With regard to the point Freelancer made about wood grain versus painted molding (molding is that few inches at the bottom of the wall that stick out where it meets the floor), I’m inclined to agree. The more you can do to pull the various elements of the room together visually, the more pleasing the scene as a whole ought to look.

That’s probably enough of my wildly subjective comments for now. Keep up the good work. :smiley:

I am hosting on my own machine, because it was quick, and convenient ( for myself, at least ). I appreciate that sometimes it wont show, and I’m sorry =-P

With regard to that gaping great white hole - I’m open to suggestion. As long as the suggestion results in a photo realistic scene =-)

In regard to your footstool comment - It actually never crossed my mind to have them at angles =-) Thankyou for your suggestion! However: there are some shading issues on the stools, as I think it’s already been pointed out. On my first image, I used GIMP to make this more subtle, but here’s a low quality render to highlight my point.

How could I get rid of this? It looks ugly!

I changed the mirrors. Do they look better? Worse?

The placement of the objects in the room - especially the ones on the wall - seems a bit arbitrary,

I can understand what you mean, but have no ideas how to make it seem less so; do you have any suggestions?

With regard to the point Freelancer made about wood grain versus painted molding

Do you mean that I should make the ‘molding’ look like wood?

That’s probably enough of my wildly subjective comments for now.
You forgot to mention ‘helpful’ - Keep them coming!

Thankyou =-)

With regard to the point Freelancer made about wood grain versus painted molding

Do you mean that I should make the ‘molding’ look like wood?

Yes. Make sure the grain runs the long way. Add a little shape to it: a beveled or rounded edge, a reveal (or groove) about two-thirds of the way up.

I changed the mirrors. Do they look better? Worse?

Better. Try moving the mirror glass forward a little, so it won’t look deeper inside than outside.

Will do. I’ll post an update later, when I’ve figured how to texture this molding properly.

I think I’ve figured out the shading problem - The stools where really badly modelled. I’ve remodelled them, but I’m receiving some really rough shadows on the stools, from an area light and a sun lamp - How do I soften the shadows?

Thanks

Can we get a wire for the stools? It might very well just be your render settings, judging from some of the quality issues elsewhere in the image, but it can’t hurt to get a second opinion on the geometry.

Better. The four-piece frame with the textures going the right way is a step up from what you had. I might be inclined to go with a lighter wood grain (more along the lines of what you’ve got on the floor), but that’s entirely a matter of preference.

The mirrors on the wall caught my eye the most in this respect. To exagerate a bit: would anyone actually hang a bunch of different sized mirrors on a wall like that - one of them at a height where even an adult would be hard pressed to see much more than his face - and cram a display shelf into the same 15 feet of wall space? Maybe, but it struck me as odd (probably because I’ve found myself doing the same thing when I’ve played with indoor scenes). Mirrors can do a lot for indoor spaces, but they’re harder to justify in a scene like this when they’re not reflecting anything that adds interest to the image as a whole.

Given that you’re working with a comparatively small area of physical space, you might be better off adding details with objects that exhibit a lot of variation without taking up a lot of room - maybe a throw rug in front of the couch or a painting on the wall. If you’re using mirrors, you probably want to use them in a way that makes the room feel less cramped rather than more.

As far as toning down the white space, there are essentially two solutions that I can think of. The first is to add some sort of environment outside the window - probably a sky would do fine with the angle you’re using now. The other (possibly preferable but less convenient), is to position the window and the camera in such a way that the light sources do what you want them to do without being actually visible in the image. Here’s a great example of a Yafray interior that makes good use of light sources without detracting from the overall quality of the composition.

How does this sound to you:

I replace the inner most mirror with a picture in a frame, and then make something interesting in the mirrors reflection? I’d thought about putting stairs but didn’t want to commit to any more major modelling until I’d rid the scene of all other glitches.

I’ll put a sky in at some point, perhaps even work on a fence, to make it look gardeny. At this moment, It’s not the pefection of the out-door that’s my priority, but I’ll definately look into it.

I’ve made the new molding, but I’m not entirely happy with the results. This is a 16 sample OSA image. I’ve not touched the anti aliasing yet, as the only thing that I was sure this would contribute to the scene was massive rendering times.

http://jimmey.ath.cx/content/BASEPROF10001xx.png

This IS a high-quality render, and the area lights are on 16 samples each. Notice the JAGGED shadows on the stools ( which have been modified - For better? Or for worse? ). How would I rectify that?

One last minor thing: The table in the corner, if you notice, seems to emit light :S It’s nothing a little post-production can’t solve, but It’s always nice not to have it there in the first place. Any suggestions?

Thankyou, again.

Briefly (since the image seems to be gone again for the moment):

I agree with you entirely that you ought to wait and worry about the outside until after you’ve got the inside in good shape.

There’s more to shadow quality than the samples on your area lights. What sort of settings have you got under your Yafray GI tab? Full GI? High quality? Best even? Have you got “Cache” turned off? What about the shadow quality (ShadQu)? People who’ve got more experience with Yafray interiors could probably tell you exactly what sort of numbers you ought to be using, but in general, you want caching turned off and a fairly high quality setting to really even out your lighting. Make sure the normals on your stool are right too (select all in edit mode, then Ctrl+N and Enter to “recalculate normals outside”).

Lastly: have you considered hosting your images on something like ImageShack? :smiley:

The settings for these renders was as high-quality as I dared to go - The shadow quaility was set to 0.93 ( Where they advise against going as far as 0.94 ), The precision’s 7 ( where the default’s 10, the lower the better ). The refinement threshold’s set to 0.1.

general, you want caching turned off

When I turn caching off, options dissappear. Is there a definate increase in quality when this is turned off?

I’d thought about hosting my images elsewhere. I’ll take a look later.

Thanks =-)

http://jimmey.ath.cx/content/BASEPROF8x6.png

I slightly sorted the stools, but you can see my problem with the molding, and OSA was on 16. Should I just make that indent a bit wider?

Also, is there anything else you spot, before I start adding more things? Like a picture frame :stuck_out_tongue:

Upon closer inspection, I realise that the shadows, close to the wall, caused by the sofa, aren’t really all that pretty. Next update, I’ll have moved the sofa out a little.

Thanks

it looks pretty good, man, but how about putting a vase on the table, or some books or something on the shelf?

I’ll surely get round to making the scene look less artificial by adding some objects like that.

My main worry regarding this scene at the moment is the molding. The photons don’t play nicely with the indent, and I get that jittery effect. I’d love to keep the molding, and even add a nice texture to it, but at the moment, it’s compromising the whole scene’s look, and I’m not sure how to stop it.

My next worry is the roof - it doesn’t look right to me. How about you? IS there anything wrong with it?

Also, could someone point me in the general direction of a nice wood texture? you can easily see the one I’m using now is getting tired.

Thanks!

Out of curiousity, what are you using photons for?