Yafray render vs Blender render

(Enj) #1

Hi,

I’m just wondering something.

I have seen work rendered with Yafray, and some work rendered with Blender. The two look completely different.

I made a mesh yesterday with a sort of carpet. I rendered with Blender, it was like a yellow rectangle. Then I rendered with Yafray, it looked much better, it had texture as well and we seen easily (rendering with Blender didn’t show any texture at all).

Is Yafray generally better to render with? In what cases would you use Yafray or Blender rendering?

Also, the two different rendering approaches - to my mind - give completely different outcomes. If you plan to render with Yafray, how can you approach this? Everything is different when rendering than with Blender.

For example, I downloaded a .blend of a room yesterday. I rendered with Blender, it looked cartoony, wasn’t pleasant at all. I didn’t render with Yafray (because it would have took at least 50+ hours, it said on the topic), but I saw the screenshot of the render in Yafray, and it was very good. Is it just a sort of trial and error until you get a good result?

Any information appreciated :slight_smile:

0 Likes

(Marsan) #2

I find it that yafray produce much more realistic and better looking renders. Still i use Blender Internal for most of my renders. This is because yafray dont support composite nodes which i am totally addicted to. And Yafray is kinda unstable with ubuntu on my comp.

0 Likes

(BeBraw) #3

One of the main advantages of the internal render is render passes (http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-243/render-passes/). You will spend more time tweaking in post production than in rendering itself. That’s the way it should be.

Other notable features are render layers (split lighting and combine for instance) and support for wide range of effects, some of which are available in SVN or via a patch (fake caustics).

0 Likes

(IamInnocent) #4

First off: you obviously don’t know how to use Blender internal. There was no reason for it not to render your texture. If anything, the texturing tool in Blender are way ahead of Yafray’s and to texture well in Yafray on has to go through loop and hoops that aren’t a very efficient workflow.
If you go to blender.org official gallery you’ll see that many succeed in rendering pretty good images with Blender’s internal.
This being said Yafray has the potential to do consistently better than Blender’s internal, if you are into photorealistic renderings that is, but it needs some serious development work in association with Blender.

Jean

0 Likes

(Enj) #5

I know how to use Blender interal rendering.

I was talking about how Yafray managed to render with the textue with the current settings I had, and Blender never.

Of course if I wanted to, I could change the settings I had to include the texture in a blender render.

0 Likes

(Atom) #6

I don’t use yafray, at this time, because it does not support PNG with alpha as a texture source. I know that it is a small thing to convert PNGs to TGAs, but I just don’t feel like going throught the extra step.

Also, the lighting in yafray is very different than the internal renderer. So it is not that easy to do an A-B comparison. You either have to setup your lighting for the internal renderer or for yafray.

I wish yafray were more compatible, because I have seen great output from it.

0 Likes

(egan) #7

For example, I downloaded a .blend of a room yesterday. I rendered with Blender, it looked cartoony, wasn’t pleasant at all.

Generally, in scenes modeled for yafray, there are a lot more lights and the lights have greater energy (which results in “burned” cartoony renders in BI). If you set up the lighting for BI specifically, you will get much better results.

0 Likes

(Enj) #8

hey,

thanks for all the replies so far, i definately have learned a lot more than what I did :slight_smile:

0 Likes

(5_on_it) #9

Of course when someone mentions a renderer to use, I can’t resist touting Indigo. Yafray is great, and it was my main renderer before I found Indigo. To me, setting up materials in Indigo is way easier than trying to get them right in Yafray, and don’t even get me started about trying to get caustics right!! So, give Indigo a try if you like.

Granted, many users like IamInnocent feel it’s too slow of a renderer for their tastes (and it is a slow render engine), and that’s fine. For me, I just start it rendering before I hit the sack and in the morning I have a nice clean render.

0 Likes

(Myke) #10

You won’t find anything as tightly integrated into Blender as Yafray.

Also, as I always say in such topics: you can’t really compare these two rendering engines. Both have their big advantages and their huge disadvantages…it totally depends on what you want to achieve.

In general Blender’s Internal engine is fast, reliable, easy to use. The results it produces often lack realism which is not very easy to achieve with it - that needs a lot of tweaking and proper knowledge of Lighting, Texturing, etc.
Same goes for Yafray, sure, but it is different. Methods like GI which allow indirect lighting just add a lot to the realism - Photons make it possible to have real caustics. These two things are the main advantages that Yafray has. I personally like the way it handles textures (Bumpmaps) much more than Blender’s and the different lighting situation is no problem for me. When I start a scene, I decide from the beginning which Engine to use and with that in mind, I can adjust the scene as necessary.

Therefore it is hard to compare these two…

0 Likes

(masterhoshi) #11

I use BI for preview rendering of texture mappings and while modeling. It’s fast and works for most stuff. But when it comes down to the real deal I use Yafray every time. Animation is tricky since so much noise appears a lot of the times, but it’s been done before. And from what I hear someday in a galaxy far far away we may get a new version (yaf(a)ray) released and maybe someday we may get integration with it as well.

Yafray has quality but it is slow and development is even slower.
BI is fast but looks game-ish and amateur without complex tweaking and faking this and that.

Perfect world someday with 2.50 might allow using both in passes. Who knows.

0 Likes

(IamInnocent) #12

When did I say that?
I said that?
I mean, I could’ve but I just not remember confessing. :wink:

Jean

0 Likes

(CoreyAvitar) #13

This might have been said before 'cause I didn’t read the whole post, but really the two renderers have their own pros and cons. It all depends on what you are trying to do. If you do a bit of reading on renderers and what they do, you’ll find some of the differences between Blender internal and Yafray. BI can raytrace (which is generally quite a time expensive operation) but I have found Yafray to be MUCH faster and more efficient at raytracing operations on my dual core intel. If you don’t NEED raytracing however, I would disable it, and use the blender internal because it’s much faster for non-raytracing operations, also, BI’s integration with the shader building system and the nodal compositor is MUCH better.
So, really, unless you are implementing complex reflections or Global Illumination (Both of which can often be faked convincingly) or AO, I would practice using Blender Internal.

Or you can use both 'cause it’s good to learn a wider range of products and methods.
Good luck!

0 Likes