YAI (yet another interior)

I know there are faults with this. The floor is too reflective, the displacement is too high, and it’s generally sparse. But, this is two hours work and 4.5 hours rendering (2000 samples), and it’s only when I do the render at this level that the problems start to become obvious.

Also, my first use of Archvis, so be gentle, but constructive.

Attachments

1. First of all, check interior photos from real life. Not renders, photos.
  2. Check typical real life sizes of elements. Check your window, use a tape. Check and measure everything.
  3. Forget sample numbers like 2000, forget long rendertimes. If you were working 4.5 hours on this and spent 2 hours with rendering, it would be far-far better. Note: I never made any renders took more than 40 minutes per image in this size (OK, with VRay it is easier to achieve, but 1 hour should be enough for Cycles, too with a mid level GPU.
  4. Populate! This scene is empty, no lamps, poctures, etc.
  5. Care about the background! Except if it is in Cloud city, we shuld see the terrain outside.

As I said, I know there’s a lot wrong with it, especially how sparse it is. At the moment it’s Blender practice (I come from a C4D background, and interiors work very differently between the two). The background is simply a placeholder, and the room itself is very much thrown together. My interest is materials and lighting, and I know that both still need work (hence in WIP). For example, I hate the stairs at the moment, but they have potential.

And I tend to use my eyes as reference. I look at the room I’m in, and draw from that (I’m not in that room).

I am, however, interested in what you say about 2000 being too high. Anything less is grainy to the point of horrible, even with clamping. The scene at the moment has the HDRI, one sun, and three emission shaders (one at each window). I understand that internal is going to have more grain than external, but how do I get down to 1 hour and retain quality? GTX670.

By comparison, this is an interior I did in C4D.

Attachments

I heavily suggest to measure everything;the C4D renders have serious scaling issues, too.

Related to samples: I don’t think I ever used even 1000 samples. Try to use noise remover apps.

I can fully accept your point re the latest project. The C4D was, however, made to scale. The room (well, the whole house) was made from blueprints, and the furniture was created to scale.

Could be cultural differences (as architecture could differ in different countries), but:

1. Width of window frames
  2. Size of bottle
  3. Size of armchairs
  4. Size of stucco
  5. Size of handles

They all seems to be too large.
If it is cultural, just skip my notes.

I can accept some of your points (though I’m not going to resurrect an old project). However:

i. The window frames are double width, frame and window since they open on side hinges
ii. The bottle looks just like the perfect bottle of Whiskey to me - 1 Litre
iii. I’ll admit that the chairs aren’t mine, and I may have scaled incorrectly
iv. Not sure what you mean by the stucco. Whilst it is there, I can barely see it. More of a textured paint. If you mean the coving, it’s a deliberately large ornamental cove.
v. The handles are subjective. On a fresh look, the handles on the door may be larger than normal, though certainly not excessive for ornamental handles. The windows handles were measured.