Yet another attempt to learn animation

BUMP

I made these two post(#19 #20) this morning but for some reason my thread wasn’t moved to the front page and it stayed on page 6. I am trying to see if this pushes it up.

Moved on to a vanilla walk-cycle with the MAC rig from blend swap, I also attempted a bit of breaking the joints on the arms.

And attempted a sneak based on the posing and timing from the animator’s survival kit,

How long did it took for you to render the ball and the walk?

Nice walk!
But why not have some talk!
Have a look:https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?404488-Remember-911-September-11th-2001

There is not much going on so you are looking at around four minutes each

Trying out a run cycle. I so hate how the arms on this move…I need to study more but I thought I would post this as perfect can’t and shouldn’t be the enemy of good

I don’t see any egregious probs with the arms swings in the run, TM. Looks pretty good. I suggest you start using some motion blur for faster action like running, it gets rid of the strobing effect that can make even good animation look wrong somehow.

Run cycle: The arms swing forward too much, or too fast to me. If he’s bringing them up that high, he won’t be swinging them back so far. You are using FK for the arms right?

I was fine with the swing to the front but not the extreme when the arm swings back, I felt perhaps that the forearm was a swinging back a little too much. I was also a bit erratic with my blocking when I converted the whole lot to beizer curves the rotations on my arms was all-over the place. I probably need to start taking thumb-nailing and planning a little more seriously.

The arms are definitely FK, the original MAC rig on blend swap only has IK arms so I got rid of that rig and used a rigify one.

@chipmasque thinks for the kind words and the tip on using motion blur

Swapping to bezier curves can really mess it up if you don’t have enough keyframes or didn’t plan right. It’s hard for me to crit an animation with youtube, as I can’t do frame by frame analyzation.

Looks pretty nice to me. Could we see it with a little motion blur.

Looking good, nice thread!

In regards to the arms, it I find that it helps to think of each piece separately - that is, animate the upper arm’s arc, and then think of the lower arm hanging off as a separate piece hanging off of the elbow. This helps you visualize overlap.

The arms could do with some Graph Editor tweaking. Otherwise looks solid

This took me a while to get right. Who new that cycles motion blur doesn’t work if you have auto smooth or edgesplit modifier, I kept tweaking things around with nothing happening only to find out days latter, from a stack exchange post, what the cause of my problems was.

I didn’t work on the arms, because I think I am pretty much done with this for now. I started shooting reference video of me jumping about, running and walking I think I will start working on jumps next.

Looking very nice and done. Also thanks for the tip.

There is no head movement. You head will move slightly with the force of the down motion.