Yet another BlenderOS remake.

I’ve been looking around, and have found tons of BlenderOS threads suggesting that such a project exists already. Most of them died in 2008.

I just wanted to see some feedback on my current project. I started to fiddle with Linux From Scratch, and got a great idea (which is almost completely done :D): BlenderOS. A Google search shot me down, but further investigation showed that all attempts have failed.

The results are extremely promising for me: my friend’s optimized build (running on an AMD Phenom II X4 clocked at 3.00 GHz with Windows XP) renders the default cube in 0.42 seconds. My BlenderOS build (no gcc optimizations) goes at 0.47 seconds (I am running an AMD Athlon dual core clocked at 2.5 GHz). Also, my boot time (also unoptimized) is ~5.50 seconds.

I was going to cut down size to ~100MB and include a file browser (currently Thunar), an internet browser (Chrome), and Blender (and YafaRay :P). No Desktop, just a startup screen with an icon for each application and minimal window switching.

Any ideas?

How about a download link? :stuck_out_tongue:

Why LFS? People will eventually need to update some of their packages or install new software, so you will need some Repos. If you are not keen on maintaining your own, I suggest you just take a minimal and proven base distro (such as Ubuntu minimal installation, if you want the base with the biggest mind-share or Arch Linux, which is completely targeted at minimal installations from the ground up). You could even leverage Arch Linux’ Build System and provide some custom AUR package scripts to compile Blender from svn automatically.
And btw, the standard cube may not be a very good benchmark, since the difference may solely be caused by some random OS overhead at that moment. Take a very large scene and render that.
I don’t want to criticize you whole plan, but please keep in mind the needs of the users and think carefully about yet another distro and whether they really need it. If someone wants a truly minimal render machine without overhead, he can take any distro out there without a graphical environment and start Blender from the console or just install something lightweight like Openbox, blender there, then shut down the X server and render from console. Just my 2 cents about it, I wish you the best of luck. :slight_smile:

There is another OS called Animux (see animux.org) as well.