Yet Another Vertex Normal Editor (Y.A.V.N.E.)

I’v used the “testScene” file linked on the tINA addon opening post.
On my fresh portable build I just appended the project objects BTW.

(here the file)
https://gitlab.com/Modanung/TiNA/raw/master/TestScene.blend

(the object I doodled with was the beveled cube with visible vertex seams)

Made a new test on personal Blend file, this time at least vertex & face “weight and influence” options seems to work? wtf lol :thinking: CubeTestFresh.blend (599.5 KB) ; sadly the “merge” still do nothing no matter what I try.

This addon doesn’t support multi-object Edit mode. Merging only works after joining objects in the example you provided.

1 Like

Oh that’s why! Also, now I strongly suspect that YAVNE didn’t worked on the TestScene.blend objects because those same objects were probably made using blender 2.79. I noticed that there’s some kind of object data"discrepancy" between 2.79 and 2.8, as if some low-level infos get missing during the migration. If that’s the case then the issue it’s solved, and sorry for headhache caused by this false-bug report.

Oh thanks, the setting was bit hidden so we didn’t really see it there. But it actually works now with the auto smooth turned off.

Hello everyone.
There was someone who did an addon where we can edit normal as mesh not so long ago. I’ve searched a lto but couldn’t find the addon anymore, anyone know where to find it ?

I think you’re looking for Oscurart.
https://twitter.com/Oscurart

1 Like

Hello!
I try to use Y.A.V.N.E into Blender 2.82.7 and it is work not properly. There is a error in Blender’s console:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\RvvMx2\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.82\scripts\addons\yavne-master\panel.py", line 41, in draw
    self.draw_display_properties_ui(context, layout)
  File "C:\Users\RvvMx2\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.82\scripts\addons\yavne-master\panel.py", line 63, in draw_display_properties_ui
    overlay = context.space_data.overlay
AttributeError: 'SpaceProperties' object has no attribute 'overlay'

Version of Y.A.V.N.E is 2019.10.28

Is it possible for You to update YAVNE to blender 2.9x? It’s the best plugin ever, and it’s better then native tools.

Did you download the latest version from github(first link in first post)? It seems to work fine in 2.93. Commit comments say it was updated 4 months ago for 2.90.

How is this different from / better than “Harden normals” setting on Bevel modifier?

1 Like

Well with tools like this you don’t need to rely on the Bevel modifier to get decent shading. In some (many?) cases you just don’t need or can’t use Bevel. The relatively new Weighted Normal modifier is very helpful too but sometimes produces undesirable results which is why it it is good to be able to edit normals manually.

As for the question, I just tried YAVNE and it seems to me that like some other normal editing tools and the Weighted Normal modifier, it can give faces a ‘strong’ weighting but not a ‘total’ weighting such as Blender’s native Set Normals from Faces or Harden Normals from the Bevel modifier.

These tools are now built-in. When you enable Face Influence, the Weighted Normal modifiers lets you manually choose which faces have the greatest influence. There are also options to rotate normals, and the ‘Normal Edit’ modifier allows you to non-destructively set a radial or directional normal.
On top of that, the Data Transfer modifier allows you to copy normals from another mesh, for instance to hide seams between two meshes

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out, I actually didn’t know about the Face Influence part and kept using Set Normals from Faces on parts of the mesh after applying my Weighted Normals modifier. :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Hello. Just wanted to say thank you for such an amazing addon.
I always had trouble with normals. Having such handy, detailed and illustrative control over them not only helped me to better understand how they work, but also perform every possible operation with them on the go.
YAVNE is something essential for me, on par with Loop Tools. Really good job!