You can press G to slide! (The Blender situation in a nutshell)

In the new blender you can press ‘G’ in edit mode twice to trigger the edge slide tool. I know about this because someone mentioned it in the comments on BlenderNation. I saw no other indication that this feature existed.

The header bar shows ‘Dx: Dy: Dz:’ when in grab mode. This should also have text saying something like, “Press G to slide”. Any other hidden tools that work the same way should do the same.

This would mean that all users learn that there’s a new feature. Even the ones who aren’t on BlenderArtists, the ones who don’t obsessively check blender news, and who didn’t read the release logs carefully before opening. God forbid, it might even filter through to people who don’t worship the software at all…

I’m just as sick of making these UI threads as you are of reading them, but I’m going to suggest one more thing, a maxim for development, for the consideration of Ton and the management:

If a new feature is added, it should be evident somewhere on the UI.

Not obnoxiously, not in big red letters, and not visible all the time. But where it’s relevant, when the context and mode are correct. Because you know, maybe hinting that this feature exists might stop people coming on the forums and asking for it.

So why not make it a rule for inclusion: if you’ve made a new feature, draw attention to it somehow. Else, for 99% percent of people, all your work is wasted. Or do you just really like the feeling belonging to an exclusive secret club?

1 Like

On a less frustrated note, are there any more ‘secret’ tricks like this? And how could these be made more discoverable?

(I suggest the header bar because it’s there and it’s already being used to convey modal information. If there’s a better way, obviously do that instead.)

Hmm… maybe a “Tip of the Day” feature on the splash screen might be an idea?

I concur…tips upon loading is also a nice touch. Part of blenders UI issue is that the interface often doesnt explain what actions or values are doing a big chunk of the time, at least that I have seen so far…

Actually, I don’t think so. I’d say a UI should aim to show only relevant information, only when it’s needed.

Since at the splash you’re not actually doing anything yet, there’s no relevant information to show you. You’re unlikely to remember tool tips because that info isn’t what you’re interested in at that point.

I think the header bar thing is a better move - you can watch exactly what the user’s doing, show the right explanation. On GIMP there’s a little status line that says things like ‘Try pressing Ctrl’ which is f*#@ing obtuse but at least lets you know that there’s something there to know.

The header bar shows ‘Dx: Dy: Dz:’ when in grab mode. This should also have text saying something like, “Press G to slide”.

Grab mode (Translate) & edge slide are completely different tools, so shouldn’t be interchanged like that. The only similarity is the key that’s used to activate them.
To highlight trackball rotation (RR) in rotation mode (R) would make more sense, because these are similar functions.

Since tools like edge slide can be found in different places [Toolbar (T), header menu, Specials menu (W), Edges menu (Ctrl+E) & the Search Menu (Space)] the key map should be written next to function. Like most of the tools with an existing key map already have.

I don’t think the “Tip of the Day” and header text are mutually exclusive. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve learnt something new by actually paying attention to the loading tip on various bits of software, but the header text doesn’t rely on there not being said tips in the splash screen.

I say that both should be considered :slight_smile:

I’m just as sick of making these UI threads as you are of reading them…

Then don’t just make a new thread every time you find one little thing to complain about. Your thread has the premise that Blender somehow has this pervasive pattern of hiding things from you, yet you fail to give more examples.

The double-tap shortcut for vertex slide is just another shortcut, the feature itself is visible from the toolbar and it has its own shortcut (shift-v) as well. Having said that, I do agree that there should be hints for the double-tap shortcuts.

Double-tab G for slide is real great.
Are there anymore double-tab actions known?
BTW how to bring back the old double-tab B for circle select?

cheers

I always thought the double tab-B function was now C ?

Grab mode (Translate) & edge slide are completely different tools, so shouldn’t be interchanged like that. The only similarity is the key that’s used to activate them.

Well, that’s what’s implemented. Whether it should be or not is a different discussion. To be honest it feels natural enough to use, even if there is no a priori reason why it should be there.

Are there anymore double-tab actions known?

So we’ve got GG for slide, RR for trackball, BB for cursor select (possibly). Any more?

EDIT:apparently not BB then

BB used to be cursor-select but isn’t anymore. Found that out the other day when putting together a low-poly model rather than the sculpting I’ve been doing lately. Wonder what happened to it.

yes it is now, but i want to know a way to bring the old double-tab B for circle select back.
If anyone knows how to do it, please let me know

thx

dave

You can’t without changing shortcut for border select.
You can just make circle select using BBB.
B -> border select. B-> exit border select - first click to enter circle select B -> double click to enter circle select.

Snake Hook use KK.

I have border select set to LMB+drag (which should be default IMO). Then you can use BB for circle select. But that seems a bit inefficient though.

Thanks evilkillerfiggi, I didn’t know about the GG = slide feature.

Sago, how do you set up LMB drag = box select?

To have border select mapped to LMB drag, below is the settings for the key map.

I created a second key map for border select, so shift+LMB drag will extend the selection, & just LMB drag will deselect everything outside the border.

3D Cursor needs to be changed too (change ‘Press’ to ‘Click’), otherwise the 3d cursor will change position every time you border select.

The “GG” change is listed right there in the release notes. In fact, all of the feature changes in each release are conveniently laid out in the wiki so you can see what was changed in previous releases. Maybe you could read that once in a while to keep up to speed.

Some time ago I was thinking about starting a thread with “hidden life-saver” shortcuts/keys i discovered while working in Blender. (and let other people add their own discoveries, then merge them into wiki manual page for example). I will once i have a little bit more spare time.

Here are some (more and less obviuos depending on the user experience with Blender):

• CtrL+Tab (in Edit Mode) let you choose vertex/edge/face selection mode.
  • Ctrl+1 or Ctrl+2 or Ctrl+3 and so on…let you add a subsurf modifier instantly onto the selected objects.
  • F6 calls a floating popup menu for tweaking options of the last tool used (no need for T panel opened)
  • (this is super useful imo) While orbiting the view with middle mouse button, if you hold down Alt, the view will snap on the nearest aligned one (top, left, right, bottom etc) no more numpads, beside period.
  • Alt+ mouse Wheel increase frame number.
  • Alt+Shift + mouse wheel and Alt+Ctrl + mouse wheel rotates the view (turntable like)
  • In Edit mode selecting edges or faces with Ctrl pressed will select the shortest path between the two (this is terrifc for selecting edges and make seams, many time you dont need the entire edgeloop to be selected) Btw, i’d love to be able to do it for vertex too, will ask to Campbell.
  • Shift+R is repeat last, allows for example to duplicate multiple times the object in a row (shift+d , X, 3, confirm –> Shift+R as many times you need to be repeated)

…many more of course. Hope it’s understandable.

It works allready:
setup: set a shortcut for select vertexpath. I used ctrl+leftclick

Use: Select first vertex and last. Then shortcut for select vertexpath (ctrl+Lefclick in my case)

cheers