You Know You Might Be A Classical Music Nerd If...

Yes, exactly.

you might be …

if somebody quotes “dum! dum! dum! dummmmmm!”, somebody else announces “Beethoven’s Ninth” and you correct them, “No, Beethoven’s Fifth

if you actually know “how many notes a sackbut has, and whether [a shawm] has strings”!

if you know that J.S.Bach and G.F.Haendel were exact contemporaries, but never met each other…

if you recognize the classical music used in commercials and television themes (Antiques Roadshow (the English version) anyone?)

I’m not a classical music nerd. I do like some (i love Chopin) and I listen to a lot of it, but i don’t really KNOW classical music, you know?

I am, however, into pretty much everything else, and my eclectic collection of music has apparently tricked many of my friends into thinking I’m musically omnipotent or something. I have that shirt that says “I listen to bands that don’t even exist yet”, and it was gifted to me by a friend. Anyway, I just thought I’d rub in exactly how dorky you all are. I’m an extreme music nerd, and you’re all more nerdy than me.

I mock all of you. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have obscure indie music you’ve never heard of to listen to.

Please re-read that last line with the voice of the Simpson’s ‘Comic Book Guy’. Thank you.

A classical music article?! How cool! I’ve been playing classical music for some ten years on my Knobe Grand piano.
You know you’re a classical music nerd once you’ve played all of Bach’s Preludes and Fugues. Hell, you know you’re a classical music nerd once you’ve memorized all the notes for all of Bach’s Two Part Inventions. Which I have :slight_smile:
Lately I’ve been focusing on Rachmaninoff’s Preludes… Much more thrilling.