You say blender game engine can't create good graphics, watch this

A tool can’t be professional. A person can be professional.

I think the first two posts clearly show this.

I mean a scene like that wouldn’t run smoothly on any PC, but if you use an identical scene on another engine it would run pretty well. ( I ran few benchmarks before)

I mean a scene like that wouldn’t run smoothly on any PC, but if you use an identical scene on another engine it would run pretty well. ( I ran few benchmarks before)

And now ,what do you think about the performance?
A game isnt just mountains with some filters.
Try and add some logic to that,some enemies,some animated characters,some physics,and then let me know what framerate you have.

Most of people complain about perfomance NOT graphics.

You mean if you manage to hack up something like that on a free software on your spare time it doesn’t run quite as well as some expensive commercial engines that were specifically created to do exactly that and were coded by an entire army of people whose income depended on it? What a freaking surprise and relevant comparison.

How can that be possible, didn’t you watch the video. I didn’t see any slow part except your pc is not so good for those benchmarks

same here:

this is a whole environment built with ONE 256*512 texture by one person, this is made possible because he could detach the RGBA channels each for separate things…

This is a rendering, I believe as I see no environment interactions…

A note about the past and present.

Before you could have high fidelity with a small environment, and high performance without a lot of “Tricks”

Now you can have much higher fidelity up close, and far away can be very low poly, thanks to kupomans LOD,
and LaserBlaster and Benji’s terrain shader LOD system.

The only limits to a project fall between two things…

YOUR EARS

Having separated rgba channels is possible with blender see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTQVWZuzqkE

Too bad that one uses UDK, as stated in video’s description.

you can download the project from the creators website

i didn’t think graphics were ever an issue with BGE… its just slow… in the same way a PS1 would sorta be able to output PS3 graphics… it would just take hours for each frame, rather than 30/60 FPS

BGE has always had the capabilities… its just inefficient. the first video you posted was a fine examples of “tech demo’s” not games…

as stated above… as soon as you start adding multiple skinned and animated character meshes, an “ai” system , decent pathfinding, a
UI, and a whole load of elements needed for gameplay(switches, pickups puzzles ect)… not to mention the scripts you would need… things can and WILL start to crawl… BGE games have low end graphics for a reason… because to make an ACTUAL game… you need reasonably fluid framerates and gameplay… not 5fps with good graphics.

there are very few examples of GAMEs (not demo’s) running in BGE with good graphics.

as stated above… as soon as you start adding multiple skinned and animated character meshes, an “ai” system , decent pathfinding, a
UI, and a whole load of elements needed for gameplay(switches, pickups puzzles ect)… not to mention the scripts you would need… things can and WILL start to crawl… BGE games have low end graphics for a reason… because to make an ACTUAL game… you need reasonably fluid framerates and gameplay… not 5fps with good graphics.

there are very few examples of GAMEs (not demo’s) running in BGE with good graphics.

Indeed! The BGE quickly chokes under the weight of logic stress. There’s also the animated skinned meshes issues.
Most games now require dynamic objects with great animations and lots of interactive possibilities. One can simply change the BGE rendering engine to something else, like Crystal Space back in pre- Yo Frankie era , and the problem will still be present.
So if you plan on making a good game with the BGE, you need to know your boundaries and try to make the most out of it! Just knowing you have limits it’s a challenge. Finding a way to thrive within them is even more challenging! Most people don’t like challenges.
I faced many challenges in my BGE time, and I never found one I couldn’t overcome!

So if anyone wants to make a “good” game using the BGE, work within the limit of the tool (look who’s writing!)!

All those “games” where created by different persons, so it wasnt only martinsh, he do plenty of great stuff yes, but he is not the only one there.

Other than that, you dont use that mutch bge for what I see, so, I used it a lot and I can say that bge can create great games, but you will get surprised about what it can t do.

Intel 486
64 mb RAM/128 mg HD
Graphic card Voodoo 122

Leonn, cara,
This can’t possibly be your PC! Loool

Other than that, you dont use that mutch bge for what I see, so, I used it a lot and I can say that bge can create great games, but you will get surprised about what it can t do.

Is that me? If so, I must say, that you really get to learn more about the BGE when you start programming… So after hundreds of tests, and a few years of trial and error,I came to “see” the limits of the BGE.
If it’s not me, well, we should actually stop complaining about BGE in a BGE forum, since this is a " I love BGE" place, and not a " I hate BGE, quit using it".

I really believe this and other complaining threads don’t help nobody, most of us have still a lot to learn, so as long as you use blender for modelling, prototyping, or animation, as long as Blender is useful to you, be grateful! You can’t complain about the quality of a tool if you get it for free, by choice!

It wast you it was the guy that created the thread.

this is a good rep