Your favorite Linux distro and Why?

Hi, some VM can “bridge” the GPU to the main OS, no need for extra card.
I use Linux as main system and have a Virtual Box Windows 10 Pro for testing.
You cant get a performant 3D system in a VM, maybe AutoCAD work in a VM but for render, sculpting in Blender I don´t think it will work.
If you have a second HDD/SSD or external disk install Linux and test.
There are also Live Linux systems support AMD/Nvidia GPU from start nothing to install.

Cheers, mib

Thank you for your input. So there’s no good solution to run both AutoCAD and Blender at the same time. I can’t sculp in Blender if I run Linux in VM? Just to clarify. If it’s true, then my best bet is to dual boot the PC.

You can do all in Blender in a VM but you loose the speed advantage of Linux in a VM and you cant use GPU for render.
It make no sense to run a high end game in a VM, if it works at all, for example.
May AutoCad can run in a Windows VM on Linux, quick search get me > https://all3dp.com/2/autocad-for-linux-ubuntu-how-to-install-it/

Cheers, mib

So you running Linux as your main OS, and run window as a VM; that is interesting idea. Thank for the link, and your help.

I use Backtrack but that is mainly due to me working in online security and it already comes with all the needed tools

Gpu passing is possible in VMs nowadays,to certain degree. Maybe the Gpu compute can’t be used for rendering (needs testing) but the sculpting and other viewport stuff migh utilize the Gpu passing if done right.

https://blog.zerosector.io/2018/07/28/kvm-qemu-windows-10-gpu-passthrough/

I use www.bodhilinux.com - it has a small footprint, a great UI, and it allows me to install Ubuntu software (on my teeny machine!) What MORE could anyone want? :slight_smile: ( a new version came out recently, too…)

1 Like

Currently enjoying Pop OS from System76, as I am mostly on my tablet PC, only lightly tweaked with a few of my favourite Gnome extentions, dark theme and Papirus icons. Their new tiling window shell is pretty useful when coding. With age, have lost the urge to spend hours tweaking my systems just so…

1 Like

Hi, I read it is a heavy task to set up such a KVM with GPU passthrough and I have no time to test it.
It seams even Cuda and OpenCL is supported, nice.
I use Virtual box, it has 3D acceleration support but not native and I use it more for testing,CPU tasks are nativ supported and fast.

Cheers, mib

I use VBox too, it is versatile but not as powerful as Qemu on Linux nowadays. It is also capable of emulating Windows on Linux very well and very much suitable for emulated Zbrush or Photoshop stuff.

1 Like

Hi there. I have been a long time Mac OS user, using Linux in parrallel from time to time. I have been using Linux Mint on my childrens laptop over the lasr three years, and on an old iMac over the last year.
As I have decided to switch entirely under Linux, after trying various distros, I have finally chosen Pop! OS for my new laptotp. For a laptop, it is definitely my favourite. Installation was great, everything worked out of the box. I just added a few extensions (gnome tweaks, dash to board, mainly), and it’s been a great experience from the beginning. Even better than with Linux Mint.

1 Like

Hey - I know that one! It’s the one with all the “cool stuff for the 4th industrial revolution”, right? Out of curiosity, what does it exactly have, with it? :slight_smile:

Yeah, the age part, me too…sigh!

It’s Ubuntu based, with a few optimisations for laptop, which the company sells, the laptops that is, slightly parred down and themed. The only real differentiator, if you want to call it that is the Pop! OS Gnome shell, which is a tiling window manager. I don’t use it as I spend my computer time in only a handful of apps, lately a lot of OpenSCAD in anticipation of purchasing my first 3D printer for prototyping. I like it because it is tweaked to my liking less than half an hour after installation and I can get back to my other crap…

I had a bad experience with Mint (all of a sudden the log-in screen wouldn’t show up) so I tried Zorin OS and never looked back. It’s very well designed, clean and stable. I’m not using it with Blender yet but that’s what I’m considering.
Anyway, really pleased with the experience so far.

Oh! :frowning: I got the general idea from their website that it had some kewl “VR” or “Blockchain” or whatever stuff pre-installed - is that not true, then?

Btw, what is OpenSCAD? I’ve heard of it, is it compulsory to do 3D printing? (cause I had vagueish plans to get a 3D printer someday, too!) Is Blender by itself not enough? :frowning:

Don’t know about the Blockchain thing, the company hosting Pop! OS sell pre-installed Linux systems, just on the slightly expensive side, good products though. OpenSCAD uses a programmatic approach to creating 3D models, using a description language. This allows you to create complex, completely parametric models, which is extremely useful for tweaking your models and always creates fully manifold STL files for predictable slicing, very important for 3D prints. Blender is fine, if you’re careful and your prints are more creative than pragmatic…

Wanted to try Red Hat sometime ago , it didn’t install on my custom built
though, now that I think of it I tried Red Hat ages ago and indeed liked
it then.

youtube: j p l Auringonkukka ja sade

I first dabbled with Linux using Ubuntu, and to my surprise it worked flawlessly on the ancient used Thinkpad I’d bought specifically to mess around with. Because of this initial great experience, I stuck with Ubuntu and was happy until the whole Gnome 3/Unity fiasco came along; I suspect that this probably caused a lot of Linux users to change distro.

At that time, Linux Mint was shipping with MATE and Cinnamon versions and since MATE was based on Gnome 2, but was future proofed, I switched to that. Mint was (and still is) a little uglier than Ubuntu, but I love their devs and their focus on constantly improving what’s there. Sure, they add new features from time to time, but only features users want - they don’t randomly decide to add Amazon search built into the start menu (as happened with Ubuntu). The Mint team really won me over with the way they just keep improving small quality of life things that affect the quality of your time with the OS - the things Microsoft NEVER does. For example, Mint’s file manager, Nemo, has been constantly tweaked to improve performance and to add smaller features for customisation, and something as mundane as the language and locale setting screens have had numerous iterations to improve the experience of setting up Mint to use multiple languages and input methods.

Mint is developed basically how I wish a lot of software was developed, with half or more of the team’s focus on improving performance, fixing bugs and generally improving the way things work and how they are used. New features come in at a reasonable pace, and are not implemented and left in a beta state for years, but frequently tweaked based on user feedback.

I’ve also noticed that Mint gets a pretty good chunk of donations each month, so a lot of users agree that Mint is being developed in the right way, despite the bizarre levels of hatred for Mint I’ve noticed from users of other distros.

2 Likes

CentOS and Ubuntu here

I recently purchased a Thinkpad X230 to play with and put Pop!_Os on it. I like the clean interface and apparently it’s a bit more light-weight than standard Ubuntu. But not SO light weight that it looks like a system from the 1990’s :wink: I’m enjoying it a lot so far.

2 Likes