Z twist bug status?

So… whats the status on the Z twist bug in curves. I’ve seen various forum posts saying it’s fixed but it still seems to be haunting me (Windows 32 bit, 2.49.2)

For those who haven’t yet found it (lucky people) it makes a perfectly decent ring look like this:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/710852/twist.jpg

It’s very annoying…

Thanks!

Its indeed a very annoying bug that seems to have been around for ages.

If you just want a simple ring there’s lots of ways but it does get in the way for lots of other things like making roller coasters :yes:

A fix on this bug would be great!

i think it’s fixed in 2.5. take a look at this:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1463050&postcount=4406

Can anybody point me at a build with the bugfix in?

23318 from graphicall didn’t have it in.

It would be wonderful if it fixed.

Thats awesome!

I’ll have to get a 2.5 build to test it out! :eek:

As Jester_v01 which builds have this fixed?

Thank you, and thank you ideasman42.

Revision 23019 has the fix already.Check log message
“Access next to the “3D” edit button.”

Should be in any build of 2.50 as of revision 23129 and after. It was in 2.49 (r23019) dev at first, but removed … sounds like it’ll be back there at some point, though.

hi, originally I thaught this was more of a fix so I committed to 2.4x (to be released with 2.49c), but then went onto add tangent based twist, twist smoothing filter and other things that ended up being new features so I removed from 2.4x.

This has now been in 2.5x for a while, recent builds will include it.
still need to get the curve modifier using the nicer twist calculation, its complicated by an old crusty animation function thats used to calculate tilt which makes some odd assumptions Id need to support if its to load old files correctly.

Not sure if people are interest but added radius support for the curve modifier so and follow path. So objects can optionally scale by the curve radius as they animate along the path ;)…
Curve deform modifier can use radius too.

I think a scale along a path is a handy tool. I can see many applications already!!!

Too bad it was removed from 2.4x - it prevents us using path and extrusions 100%
with blender.

It works!! You have made me a very happy man. It would be even nicer if it was 2.49… (do a build… pretty please)

Frustratingly the problem isn’t fixed when the curve is used in a curve modifier. It is fixed for bevels though. Is there a bug report open on that?

I’ve still been unable to get this to work when used with a simple mesh with array + curve modifier.

Changing the Twist Method has no effect.

See sample blend: www.audex.org/looptest.blend

Anyone able to help or is this a bug?

As I said above (post 8 paragraph 2)

still need to get the curve modifier using the nicer twist calculation, its complicated by an old crusty animation function thats used to calculate tilt which makes some odd assumptions Id need to support if its to load old files correctly.

The nice tilt quaternion is there, but to support different up axis and some stuff that bones use it still uses vectoquat from arithb.c

one other bug with curve in 2.49C

i loaded up a curve path done with the spiral script last spring in 2.46

and i could not see the bevel curve in 2.49C
now i know this was working in 2.46 but did not use it for a few months
till last week

now to see the bevel curve again i had to set radius to 1 in 2.49c

would this be a problem with the script or the curve in 2.49C

and may be this is also true in 2.5 ?

any toughs on this bug?

Thanks

Sorry Ideasman42, didn’t grasp the implications of that - very pleased to see you’re on it.

Thank you!!

hm… 2.49c … with fixed z-twist bug… this sounds interesting… :smiley:
where can i get a built? Graphicall lists none…