Zach 2.0 (My best character)

Have any comments? Just write them down!

Update:

1 Like

The hair looks pretty good, honestly. I do think you could work on the face a bit more. Maybe add some blush on different parts of his skin, and make the lips a slightly different color since they’re kinda hard to see (obviously try not to overdo it so it won’t look like lipstick) . Also, based on this picture, it doesn’t look like he has ears. Not a bad model so far, though.

1 Like

He looks Zack alright, he could use a bit of better cheek bones, better inner eye corner and some ears to hear better

1 Like

Wow I’m flattered I’m a big fan of your characters, true I can’t sculpt ears so I just gave up and also you are right! the lips are kinda hard to see I just saw this now.
Thank you so much for passing by!

1 Like

Thanks! Also, yes, ears are kinda hard to sculpt. For my characters I extruded part of the head and then sculpted the ears using reference photos from Google.

nice! but how did you do the eyes so perfectly of the character in your profile pic?

making the basic shape is easy but making it look realistic it’s the hard part :laughing:

Check it out this is an update of eyes, cheeks and a little facial expression

That’s a little better. I’ll get back to you about the eyes later when I have time. Gonna try to give you as much detail about them as I can.

So, the eyes for my character honestly aren’t the greatest, but here’s how they work:
I modeled the basic shape of an eyeball using a sphere:

I then extruded part of it to make the cornea (the transparent layer around the iris and pupil). For the iris, I took a circle and sculpted the details based on reference photos using the multires modifier. Here’s an image of the mesh (it’s a high poly mesh) and the shader nodes I use for it. I added a “dirty vertex paint” to darken the crevices of the iris and accentuate the detail:
For the color and texture of the iris, I used an edited texture from Makehuman, a software I used to use before making my own characters. Any texture that isn’t just a solid color will work. I just used this because I had it on my computer. The RGB curve node is what I use to edit the color of the iris.
The pupil is just a circle with a glass and diffuse node mixed:
Now, for the sclera (the white part of the eyeball), I gave the eye a dirty vertex paint, then a mix RGB node so I can animate the eye turning red when crying. I also gave it a black and white texture with the white circle being where the cornea is, so that I can separate the white and black and have them fade into different shaders. This is so the transition from the white of the sclera to the transparent/glossy cornea is smooth (had to separate part of the sclera to a second cornea shader because of an annoying problem where it looked like it was spray painted).
Finally, I combined the iris, the pupil, and the rest of the eyeball into one mesh and used shapekeys on the iris
to simulate the dilation and constriction of the pupil. I just selected the vertices in the center and shrunk or expanded them using proportional editing.
This obviously isn’t the best, most realistic eye, but I wanted more of a semi-realistic and semi-stylized eye for my characters.

1 Like

Cool it’s more realistic than mine