ZBrush 4R8 available. What do you think?

Thanks for sharing that, I still can’t get into zmodeler. I’ll have to try and push it more when I get the free time :confused:

That being said, this new update is great although I think Blender is still better at hardsurface despite that zbrush seems to have a better boolean algorithm. I still prefer using Hard Ops or Speedflow to get adjustable bevels and it’s honestly easier to edit topology in blender still.

Maybe zbrush 5 will have an improved zmodeler workflow which will win me over. I’ll probably just stick to sculpting in it and doing hero hardsurface props in blender.

I can’t find a crease brush, anyone knows of an alternative ?

It’s the DamStandard brush in ZB.

Thank you ! I am knee deep in tutorials right now and cannot refrain at the same time from searching alternatives to things they don’t cover. I was about to ask whether dam standard could pinch as well, and turns out it can, it’s controlled by the “brush modifier” parameter ! Awesome !

Lol, it’s obviously way better than Blender’s modeling tools.

I really want radial symmetry modeling from Zmodeler in Blender. That and a native “destructive extrude” and then Blender will be on par with Zmodeler I feel.

Lol…

How can Zmodeler be better than Blender’s modeling tools if it doesn’t support Ngons, or even worse, without a knife tool…?
Oh wait, I can’t even extrude an edge in Zmodeler…

Lol…

Zbrush has a knife tool equivalent in the slice curve brush and slice no stitch brush (like rip edges). I think when you add up all of Zbrush’s tools with zmodeler and the new live booleans that is where the advantage is.

Yes, definitely. @juancarlosgzrz not being sarcastic (not that kind of guy) you might not be totally clear on the speed at which one can model with blender and nicely setup pies/hotkeys - I reckon zmodeler is a nice all-in-one tool but the workflow is quite slow still (action->target versus selection->action paradigms). I haven’t even tested live booleans yet ! There’s too much to discover first ! :smiley:

If ZBRush default brushes are stunning and often enough, I still strongly advise you to download Orb brushes (from a Blizzard artist, they are truly awesome) and SK Brushes (a japanese artist who specializes in printed figurines, the guy is a jaw-dropping talent). Both packs are free and probably the best brushes packs I’ve ever seen around.

You’ll find Orb Brushes here : https://gumroad.com/l/nOkHw
You’ll find SK Brushes on his blog : http://sakakikaoru.blog75.fc2.com/

I also put them on Google Drive if it’s easier for you this way :wink: I kept only the latest SK presets but some older versions of his brushes are still on his blog if you want to give them a try.

Orb + SK Brushes Packs :
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz8DR8RiLOM-MUlBZVp2ZWJzanc

Happy ZBRushing :wink:

Wow that’s highly appreciated ! Little hiatus in my learning these last days but this is going to get me re-started quick :smiley: Thanks !!

Funny thing here is, I know some of the criticism here towards ZBrush are from folks using pirated copies of ZBrush…

No other community has people who compare or criticize ZBrush against a 3D package.

Everyone knows ZBrush pays for itself and does its own thing.

It’s got its shortcomings, but its advantages far exceed the shortcomings.

It’s doesn’t try to be everything a 3D package like Blender is. It doesn’t have to be.

It doesn’t make sense to compare ZBrush to Blender, because ZBrush isn’t trying to be a 3D package.

Hm, well it’s natural to try and search for the functions you’re used to when you’re coming from another software. No big deal !

It seems faster on my computer, but my pen sensitivity doesn’t work. It’s interface also scales better it seems like which is awesome. I haven’t tried to hard surface model on it yet. Not ready for that.

Thanks for the useful information!:rolleyes: