zbrush/blender sculpting

Not used it for anything serious… it was too annoying for that!

Airbrush huh? that’s why I hate it then… long slow strokes are just the total opposite to how I want to draw (sculpt) 2.5 works as fast as z-brush for me up to around 6-7 millionpolys… but then you need to follow a few basic rules for it to work fast, luckily nothing draconic…

(I’ll paste again here)

1 )have a nicely subdivided base mesh (not a cube! this is because the brush is tested against how many patches it effects and then against the polygons within that patch… if you only have six patches you slow down as you’ll always be interacting with a huge amount of polys!

1. turn off double sided (properties—>mesh---->normals—>double sided) it really goes faster!

2. make sure the mesh is smooth shaded (edit mode, select all, face specials(ctrl-f) set smooth) not sure it affects speed much, but it will be quicker… also you get artifacts between patches when set solid!

3. check how blender was compiled… on some systems OPEN MP (used for multithreading the simulations like water and smoke) will KILL sculpt performance so either compile or try a build with open mp disabled… If your hardware is affected this will make a HUGE difference to performance.

4. Not certain on this one, but I think you need to turn VBOs off in the user preferences… that may be the other way around, but i remember thinking it strange… It may also be done in the background when sculpt mode is active these days…