Zerah

Hello everybody!
I would like to share my new project with you.
It’s my character: Zerah.
She was made after own design and completely created in Blender.
Background was also created in Blender.
The rendering was done with EEVEE.

Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qAWg6P

Finished Render:

Turntables:

Front, Side, Back and Detail Shots

Greyscale, Matcaps and Scene:

24 Likes

Good job. Have you created the rendering one-shot? Or have you edited in post later in some image editor?

One intuition I have for simulating special effects is to render them using the standard color profile and the rest of the image separately. Because Filmic will try to prevent color bleeding and makes special effects look simple, the other standard color profile limitless and results to color bleed. This is something I got as an idea now, but I will have to try it sometime to make sure. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello :slight_smile: Thank you!

It was an one-shot. Here you can see my scene a bit better:

I used Filmic with a medium contrast. However, I adjusted the RGB curve a bit in the compositor and used the glare effect.

1 Like

This must get on feature row :open_mouth: <3

1 Like

Well, you’re a master, Well done . . .

1 Like

Thank you so much :slight_smile:

Coo, your art is amazing, I’m from Denmark, by the way, Northern part . . Am making a 3D model, but I suck . . . Checked you Artstation, Well done <3

I’m saying, I not even a third as good, in any way <3

1 Like

Hello! Wow! She looks gorgeous and I’ve loved the render! Overhaul great job! Real nice :smiley:
The only remark that is bugging me is the muscles/highlights on the right shoulder area (specially noticeable on the close up)… they look somehow not correct :face_with_monocle: :thinking: something feels a bit strange… should be a more smooth area I think.

1 Like

Hi Jasper!
Thank you for the many answers and your interest. I’m already going red :slight_smile:

Don’t say bad things about yourself! The figure looks very solid to begin with, but your arms / hands are much too flat. I can only give you a tip not to make yourself bad and keep practicing! I also make a lot of mistakes. :stuck_out_tongue:

It will help you very much to take a close look at the human anatomy. Don’t try to make things perfect for now. Sometimes it can bring more, e.g. to sculp a head 10 times instead of trying to get it perfect the first time. Because you learn a lot from it.

Everything takes time and as long as you have interest and fun it will always get better! <3

Hi, thank you for the nice words and the criticism.
It is always very important to me. I will definitely take a closer look at the anatomy and make it better next time. Thank you!

Ok, good work :smiley:

1 Like

Nice work, Catlronstone - a lot of time and effort went into this, and it shows.

I’m going to offer some opinions, and I want to stress that the information is offered in the spirit of helping you perhaps see some areas differently:

First thing is that the circle of light at the bottom of the image keeps pulling my eye down there - it seems really bright, yet doesn’t seem to be putting out much light proportionate to how bright it is. Did you use an Irradiance Volume to help with this? (I didn’t see one in your scene setup). EEVEE can “use” emission only if you add an irradiance volume (or fake it with lights). At any rate, I don’t think this “portal”(?) is the focal point of your image, so you might want to tone it down (perhaps tone down the center and leave the edges bright?)

Her face should be more in shadow given the light sources in the scene and the proximity of her hair to her face. As she’s lit now, her face looks kind of “flat” and it takes away from the overall image. Make sure that your lights have the “contact shadows” checkbox ticked, and play with the light’s shadow settings. In EEVEE’s settings, set your Shadow Cube Size and Cascade Size to 2048 or 4096 for cleaner shadows. You might also play with your Ambient Occlusion settings - try increasing the Distance and the Factor - and this might take care of it :slight_smile:

You might consider re-posing her left hand - it looks a little stiff in it’s current pose.

Are you using any Subsurface Scattering? I would suggest it if you aren’t - or if you are, then increase it’s influence. Use it on the cloth, hair, and her skin. EEVEE actually does a really nice job with SSS considering it’s real-time. Also, with the cloth and the hair, I would expect more light to penetrate, so make sure that if you have SSS enabled in the material, that you check “Subsurface Translucency” in the material settings.

Lighting: There are a million ways to light an image and it helps to have a mood in mind or an idea of the “why” you’re lighting the way you are. Remember that sometimes, less is more. It can be very tempting to light the crap out of a model that you’ve spent a lot of time on because you want to show it all off, but if you’re not careful, it can end up looking like your model is in a football stadium. It’s a good idea to start with one light source - usually your natural and most obvious source - and move up from there. Sometimes you don’t have to light the model directly - but you can light something behind it - like a wall - to pull out the silhouette. As the image is now, it’s what I would consider a bit “overlit”. You’ve lost your core shadow - which may be exactly what you intended - but it can make your image look kind of … unfocused.

Again, these are just my opinions, and you can feel free to disagree - that’s how art works :slight_smile: I know how much work goes into something like this and no matter what criticisms I offer, it’s still a nice piece as it is.

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend :slight_smile:

1 Like

wow, thank you! I am totally happy :slight_smile:

1 Like