Zoom.... 2005 Blender F1 Challenge! Results Posted!

http://www.seesystems.com/f1

ahh, another f1 challenge :slight_smile:

WHEEEE!!!

It is now ON!

BgDM

Oh, goodie-goodie!
Fortunately there’s enough time, as I’ll be fully occupied with my Exposé entries in this month…

As far as I understand, Yafray can be used, right?

Let the race begin! :slight_smile:

Hmm…I’ll have to see if I am up to competing in this one.

yay, im defently in on this one, lets see how much iv improved since last time :stuck_out_tongue:

Fudge

Yes i would like to have precisions on that too.
you say ‘blender plugins are allowed’ Does that mean that yafray is OK ?
and ‘Post processing of BLENDER RENDERED images’ Does that mean that post production is allowed only for blender internal, or yafray is Ok too ?

Anyway this contest is really inspiring, I’m in :slight_smile:

Ladies and Gentlemen, start your engines!!!

Let’s roll!

yeah!

i might actually have time to compete…

[/me hurridly starts sketching…]

Regards,
~Delta

[quote=“-efbie-”]

and ‘Post processing of BLENDER RENDERED images’ Does that mean that post production is allowed only for blender internal, or yafray is Ok too ?

Anyway this contest is really inspiring, I’m in :)[/quote]

The key words are… BLENDER RENDERED. If you can render Yafray from Blender (I seem to recall a particular drop menu in the Render buttons that says “YafRay”).
The Post-production rule means exactly what is says. You can post-pro the render image for enhancement purposes only (like adding a bit of blur).

OMG OMG OMG!

I’m in.

Would rendering out a depth map and adding depth of field in post pro (as opposed to using the zblur plugin) be acceptable?

The reason I ask is that my workflow is this:

1. Render high resolution image.
  2. Render high resolution depth map.
  3. Do depth of field in post pro using depth map.
  4. Downsample image (with dof applied) to viewing resolution.

The reason for this is that I find that I generally achieve higher quality images using this method. I would use zblur, except its maximum blur setting is sometimes inadequate for high resolution images.

From what I understand about zblur it essentially does the same thing (rendering the zbuffer and applying a blur, the intensity of which is determined by the zbuffer).

Also, I’m going to be writing a tutorial on how to add dof in post-processing (using a depth map) with the gimp, so everyone would have access to this method.

Cheers,

b01c

darn, can someone release the new bf-blender as official real fast?

but then, how could one tell which version I make it with, tohu, bf or official?
is that just my discretion?

and so it begins!

Cool! Thanks, man!

Block01: I would consider that method to be enhancement. So, yes, it would be okay. I am sure that everyone would appreciate the tutorial BEFORE the end of the contest! :slight_smile:

SamAdam: I am asking people to be honest plus I have been using Blender a long time. I know alot of the tricks. :wink:
I do examine the top 5 favorites very closely at the end of the contest.

hey, curtis what is up with it having to be an open cock pit?

Fudge

What is it that is up with you?

j/k

I think it’s just to keep a certain theme so the models stay relatively true to the real Formula one.

I like the idea, it should make the challenge a bit more standardised and fair.

Anyway this contest is really inspiring, I’m in :)[/quote]

The key words are… BLENDER RENDERED. If you can render Yafray from Blender (I seem to recall a particular drop menu in the Render buttons that says “YafRay”).
The Post-production rule means exactly what is says. You can post-pro the render image for enhancement purposes only (like adding a bit of blur).[/quote]

Hmm, If I can get Mental Ray to render as a seq plugin does that count as BLENDER RENDERED ? Or as a python script?

Hmm, If I can get Mental Ray to render as a seq plugin does that count as BLENDER RENDERED ? Or as a python script?

Hehe, whatever is right, that wasn’t exactly clear.
For example, I never render (with Yafray) from within Blender, but only generate the xml, and then render from command line, as it crashes too frequently otherwise.
A simple, clear list of renderers that can be used should be on the page, eg: “Renderers: Blender, Yafray.”