Zorin OS?

anyone have any idea what the life cycle of zorin os is? as in does it have good maintenance and does it seem like it will be around for a while?..I just heard of it from a pc world link and I am thinking about checking it out…wanted to do the switch to linux for a long time but I fight with the installation process in linux and thought this may be a good start…unknown though…advice?

Hi Justin, I recommend not to take a “exotic” distribution if you change to linux.
Nobody could help you then because nobody use it.
In my experience opensuse has a very good hardware support and installing is easy with a few clicks.
Some people are happy with ubuntu but i prefer KDE desktop, you can try kubuntu.
It is also very easy to install.
Best is to have a separate partition, you choose this partition at installation start.
The rest is only hitting “OK” button.

Cheers, mib.

I do have my system setup to dual boot, and for some reason “Ubuntu” and the linux systems in general do not “click” with me…that is why I thought about this offshoot as a gateway platform until I am more comfortable with ubuntu(which I like due to the strong development community and longevity)…and when I talk about ease of use I’m referring to installing programms and working with the file system…I find it such a chore in ubuntu…sometimes I have to install through a manager and all kinds of nonsense(to a new user like me)…I want to extract a file and click the executable etc…not go through multiple dialogs just to add something to the software center so that I can THEN install it…??? I just feel lost in there sometimes when I shouldn’t…so I want something more like windows, but obviously it needs to have the linux twist…untill I can get comfortable with straight linux.

Having tried a few I’m still not genuinely comfortable with Linux. To each their own.

However, of the ones I have tried I can second the idea of trying opensuse if you haven’t already done so. Don’t think I’ve tried 12, but 10 and 11 were quite good as far as I used them. As a user coming from windows, that one felt the most familiar. Or the least wierd, however you want to phrase that.

Edit - never tried or heard of Zorin up until this thread though. But the more exotic/niche = less broad ranging support from users point is a pretty valid one to consider.

It looks like Zorin is ubuntu-based, meaning that you can still install all packages distributed for ubuntu (and debian) and you can use guides, etc, written for ubuntu, and use their huge forums etc. So you still are pretty well backed up if you choose Zorin.

Also for installation, many application provides .debs which you can just download and install without having to add repositories.
It is far better to add and install from repos though as you get automated updates and you dont have to keep track of all your applications to see if there are any new versions. A thing I immediately loved when I switched years ago. I couldn’t believe I had stuck up with windows clunky installation methods for so long…

I think Zorin might be a good start as you easily can switch to something else later, like ubuntu or Mint. Or to something a little different like openSuse or even Arch (which is where I’m at now).

I started with dual-booting about 5-6 years ago and have been using only linux for the past 4-5. I don’t even have any windows partitions left on any machine and I’m not missing it a bit. :slight_smile: