Ztransp, Texture and Depth Question

(ec2) #1

I am not sure if this is worded properly. My apologies in advance.

If a texture is used to carve holes in the faces of an object, a cube for example, is it possible for the area betwen the front and back face to be filled with what would be the depth?

I’ve tried extruding a plane and tried using a cube. The image appears on the front and back sides as it should, but I’m trying to figure out if the depth and be rendered somehow.

My intital thought is working with the UV-Editor, or creating edges and faces between the front and back, but I’m not sure how to approach this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(VelikM) #2

In depth do you mean, as in solid glass/transparent solid? Or as in a hole?
Volumetrics can only be faked in Blender (transparent solids such as glass).

(harkyman) #3

Do you mean this:

Using an alpha channel texture map, you carve a circular hole in opposite faces of a modelled cube. You want the cylinder walls between the two holes to appear as solid, as though someone has removed a cylinder from a solid block of wood.

If so, you’ll need to actually model the hole and the interior walls. The good news is that if you’re a Foundation member, you have Blender 2.25, giving you the ability to create nice Boolean objects fairly easily.

(ec2) #4

Thanks VelikM and harkyman for your respective replies.

I figured I had to model the interior.

I guess my only other option is to recreate the logo in Blender. I’m not a member… yet. How is the Boolean tool different in ver 2.25 (I’m using 2.23).

Thanks again.

(ray_theway) #5

I still use Blender 2.23, I find it easy to model holes by adding a Bézier curve, changing it to poly, and moving the vertices to make a square. In edit mode, I add another Bézier circle inside the square. This shouldn’t be hard to do with a whole cube. This would save you the time of using booleans (maybe).

(VelikM) #6

That works, but booleans work really well in Publisher 2.25, very fast.

(ec2) #7

I’ve tried both boolean and the bezier to poly methods suggested, I’m just doing something wrong. I will keep trying. Thanks again for the replies.

(ec2) #8

Ray_the_way,

Actually I just got your bezier curve method to work this morning. I must have been too tired last evening or something. Guess its good to step away from things and come back refreshed later on.

The funny thing is I did it so fast that I need to do it a few times so it becomes second nature for me. Thanks again. More later.