Flick - Free Character Rig (Blender 2.55)

Hey everybody,
I want to introduce Flick. This is my latest work in Blender. I want to publish her under creative commons 3.0.(Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported)
Special thanks goes to DennyLindberg for his wonderfull rig Biff. I learned alot from this rig!
I hope you will get some use for her.

Newest Version of Flick
Flick_v.01.4.blend

Due to much traffic I have uploaded the file on rapidshare too.
Rapidshare - Flick_v.01.4.blend

Greetings ndee

This is an early facerig video. I will provide a new feature video soon.

Attachments

Thanks for sharing, I’ll have a look.

Awsome. Very nice character. Thanks for sharing the blend file.

Very awesome!!

I am trying to vote for 5* but I have an error. It cannot get my ip address, I think.

what about to make a tutorial about rigging? or maybe a timelapse or screen capture, plop!!
i know a lot of people that want to learn how to rig in blender…like me, jejeje

congratulations, nice character!! thanks for the rig,

and the short lucio the incredible is funny too,

Whoa, this is insane.

Never seen a facial rig this accurate even by even professionals using “professional” software :stuck_out_tongue:

Very nice, thank you for sharing her :smiley:

amazing contribution to the community – thanks!

Bravo! Character is lovely (textures are beyond good) and rig is amazing, facial rig is even better than Biff. Thank you for sharing this amazing resource!

This is very professional quality work. I’ll definitely download and learn a lot from this. I agree with themonster about making a tutorial.

Beauty! Mad love for providing the file–I’m salivating over the chance to dig around your face rig!

This lands squarely in my 5 star blends file.

Amazing, character design is top-notch. Now to try out the rig…

I like allot everything on Flick :slight_smile: Very well done.
I’m impressed how good the facial rig works without shape keys and how great all her mapping is, also very cool modeled :slight_smile: …and stilled, completely out of uncanniness. This character gives allot to think, because it’s very well balanced at all levels.
Thank you very much for charing it!

Thanks a lot for sharing

Very cool, have seen it on your blog before :wink: Thanks for sharing!

Awesome! It’s finally finished! :slight_smile:

The cornea meshes (the transparent mesh on the eye) is selectable.
Your colored Xray controllers are very easy to use. I should work with that myself, less work with controller shapes too.
The way to control the chest isn’t my cup of tea but I know a lot of people that like that kind of setup.
Shouldersetup is great too with the independent movement while following the chest.
Love the shaders on the character, I need to look into the setup a little bit. :wink:

Otherwise I don’t have much to say, I think it feels very complete. Great work!

Edit*
I’m currently animating her and noticed a huge limit with her hands! You can’t spread the fingers out or in, you can’t twist them either. This is a huge limitation for expressive motion with the hands. You can solve this by unlocking the base finger rotations and instead only Copy Rotation X on the children (remove Y/Z). :slight_smile:

Edit**
You have no forearm twist! On the forearm, in the bone settings under Deform, increase the Segments under Curved Bones to a higher number. Also turn Ease In/Out to 0.

However, there’s a slight problem with orientations which makes the twist flip at certain angles!

You need to rotate the axis, so the Z axis becomes the rotational angle for the forearm. Pole vector seems to rely on X as the pole between parent (upper arm) and hand (child) as shown in the screenshot.

• To fix this the quickest way, show both FK and IK bones.
  • In Edit Mode, select all bones from clavicle to hand on one side (with mirror edit on). Press Ctrl+R to rotate axis, type 90 on the numpad and press Enter.
  • Edit the Pole Vector offset on the IK constraints! (elbow gets the wrong offset after edit)
  • Then on the forearm edit the Limit Rotation Constraint to limit X and unlock Z.

I think that was everything I had to do on my end, twist works perfectly and I’m back at animating her. :smiley:

Edit***
The first animation became weird so I restarted and made a very simple one instead. She’s “alive” now. :stuck_out_tongue:

https://vimeo.com/17943425

Thanks for the resource. I’d like to encourage you to put her on Blend Swap.

WOOOW, what a huge response!!!
Thank you so much for all your kind words!

@themonster
yeah… a tutorial is a thing I wanted to do for a long time! Unfortunately I do not have so much time. I have a wife and a baby, so I always have only short time with many interruptions. this is not ideal for creating tutorials. but maybe i can create a few how to videos about flick. and just explain a few things on about her rig.

@ninthjake
thanks, but I think there are alot better facial rigs out there :smiley:

@Denny
thank you so much for your critique! I am not a rigger, so I am very unexperienced in this sort of work. I try to dig into almost every aspect of blender, but I still need to learn alot! I will work through every aspect of your critique and try to improve the rig! Afterwards I will update her and let you all know!

Your Animation just looks sooo awsome!!! Great!

@dleri
Once I’ve corrected the point Denny mentioned I think I will upload her!

Again, thank your all for your kind words!!

Wow, thanks alot for the rig ndee! Another lovely one to study with :smiley: