Blender 2.57: 3 Bad things that we found...(at this time)

Hi Everyone, Well I was toooooooo happy downloading blender 2.57 (Stable), and the first thing that I saw was that I couldn’t use modifiers in Sculpt Mode… After I talked with some friends to see if it was my copy (blender 2.57 Stable Linux 32 bits) and they have the same problem… Ok, Ok… I posted it here with other people that have the same issue… However… We followed looking for things and we encountered this:

1. No modifiers with Sculpt mode (The thing that I mentioned before).
  2. Save as runtime, well it’s an addon… but when u export it… it doesnot work.
  3. The cursor can’t move unlimited across the screen. If it reaches the screen border it just stops. When I saw this feature in blender 2.5X wow… I said… That’s great… Who the hell took it off?

My fiend Daniel from Argentina and me are looking for more things :|… for a while hi 2.57… bye 2.57 and hi 2.56 again… :frowning:

1. copy paste the lib folder to the folder containing the runtime

I can help with number 3
Copy paste from ran13
"The option is in User Prefs, Input tab, option “Continuous Grab”, right below “Emulate 3 Button Mouse” and just above the “Drag Threshold” field.

Check the box to regain the feature you’re looking for."

Hi Saga… :slight_smile: the 2.57 version it copies automatically the lib folder… and it doesnot work hehehe… And we tried in Windows too…

Thanks Chuck Chuck… that what I need … :slight_smile: Now… we must to wait the thing with the modifiers :frowning:

Continuous grab: disable as default factory setting. Reasoning: it’s jerky on slow redraws, on fast mouse moves it’s losing offset, on small areas annoying, on headers annoying too (move up or down). People who like it or already use if have in their startup anyway, but the regular bugreports about it show it’s not a good default.

-Ton on Blender Developers Meeting Notes April 3, 2011-

it’s not like features get taken away from 2.57 compared to 2.56, I’m sure it’s all there. And if something like modifiers with sculpt view was disabled it’s possible because it was to buggy …

continous grab is just not working with wacoms on my macs either. better to have it disabled by default.

I think many people will encounter “issues” because the settings wasn’t copied over from the 2.56 folder to the 2.57.

I have an issue when opening a new file in Blender. Instead of loading the custom settings, Blender loads the factory settings. It’s not a big issue considering I only need to restart Blender to bypass the problem. Still, it’s kind of annoying.

Anyone else has this?

I already submitted a bugreport for this, and it was moved in the Todo.

http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=26155&group_id=9&atid=498

Sadly it seems that they removed all the Sculpt/Modifier possibilities to be able to make work Armature+Sculpt correctly.

Lot of modeling works have to be done with at last the subsurf modifier activated.
Right now, I have to constantly switch between Blender 2.49 and 2.57

This drive me crazy!

why do we need the mirror modifier with sculpting?you have a perfect mesh and you turn symetry.

Yea I really don’t understand the need to use a mirror modifier in sculpt mode, I mean it actually does work, you can enable it and go in and sculpt, but it won’t show the other side, going back to edit mode shows the mirrored mesh though. But there are options for symmetry in the tools panel.

Well, you are right, we can use the symmetry option… however Subsurf doesnot work in sculpt mode and that’s a problem… More if you don’t have a very powerful computer like me…

In sculpt mode you have Multires modifier why need Subsurf? It is practicaly same thing… huh?

I have the previous version and it shows the same problem. Well, in sculpting you have symetric options anyway, so why mirror aside perhaps from trying to sculpt and edit and extrude the mesh as it seems the trendy technique these days?

subsurf though makes no sense with Blender’s favored multi-resolution sculpting approach.

Why would you use Subsurf in sculpt mode? Use multires, it does the same thing and supports limited vector based displacements to allow you to move up and down between subdivision levels in a non destructive manner.

Well, Multires is not a bad option… but you can’t see the model in Edit Mode, so you can’t extrude or anything u want in this way… :|, Subsurf lets me see watch the model under the original mesh in edit mode… :eek:

Ahh, well done!

Sub-division surfacing doesn’t actually create real geometry though, so it makes sense to not have it working in sculpting mode as you would be only sculpting the original topology of the model, and not the higher-polygon count which the modifier appears to create.

EDIT: Actually it would make sense to see the SDS modifier in sculpt mode when you’re sculpting something like a shapekey, but for using it as a method of high-poly sculpting then that just wouldn’t work.

I use sculpt to make shapekeys and polish my models… I don’t use Hi-Res Models… because my computer :stuck_out_tongue: