Are you ready for new BMesh tools?

BMesh is in and new title is “Are you ready for new BMesh tools?”

Thanks for all the contributors.

sorry, I’s just mandatory: still alive

yeah, bmesh is the duke counterpart of blender realm, it’ll definitely get there, it just will take time. :yes:

''that’s what she said ‘’

Now that someone else has made the Duke analogy, this is also compulsory:

http://duke.a-13.net/- List of things that took less time than Duke Nukem Forever.

Two of my favourites being the entire career of The Beatles and every Pixar movie except Toy Story.

Does anyone know what this kid is sick of? This is a long time to be sick of anything that is not chronic, incurable, or potentially fatal. To hell with Bmesh. Does this kid need some help? Medical attention? Nutrition? What is going on here? I feel for the kid and I’d like to see him get well. Seems like it was almost a year ago this guy was sick. Right? How long has it been exactly?

I don’t think this is the place to go into it in detail, but he has various recurring health problems. From what I understood meeting him briefly they stem back at least as long as he has been coding. Unfortunate as it is, it is something that won’t go away in a hurry.

So previous Duke Nukem quips aside, :o I’m all for Campbell and other coders pitching in where possible/practical to help him get Bmesh over the line.

Feeling a bit stupid now.

Sick of all the people bashing him for not working fast enough in his free time methinks…

What’s up with the attitude with users here?
I am at least happy he still tries to work on it while being sick.

Bashing on him is stupid.
He did an amazing job alone on bmesh.
Bmesh is a hard project to work on alone, I’m not surprised it takes so long.
I am really happy with him. He didn’t give up. And him giving up would be tottaly justified.

Wish him good health.
Bmesh is not to far away now.

I am not following up close but didn’t the critisim start when there was a big donation round and after the target was reached there was months of no information or progress… .

I’m rather sure about that because I know the genereal fear was then that it could have a negative backslash on other donation based projects/targets.

maybe he should ease up on promising that it will be done in two months then, it been two months away for two years now. I think that is what gets most people’s knickers in a twist over promising and under delivery. Even the new post has an ‘its almost done’ line in there which is hard to believe considering bmesh has plenty bugs and is also under tested. So another two years than.

Patience people. Who ever thought Hurd would actually be released!

Btw, “Bmesh is still alive”, ofcourse it is. It will never die. It’s way to important to die, and BF knows it.

My Duke chime in.

What are you waitin’ for…Christmas?

maybe he should ease up on promising that it will be done in two months then, it been two months away for two years now. I think that is what gets most people’s knickers in a twist over promising and under delivery. Even the new post has an ‘its almost done’ line in there which is hard to believe considering bmesh has plenty bugs and is also under tested. So another two years than.
+1

I would recommend handing over the reigns of this beast to the BF since it is obviously a too big a size of a project for one man to do let alone someone who is genuinely as sick as he is.

I know Campbell and Geoffrey Bantle are helping but that is only just recently and to be fair, this has been in the making for quite sometime now. Honestly if blender doesn’t get this in before the 2.6+ series gets started then there is one highly anticipated and important, major mile stone not achieved.

Let’s face it it is a big project not and easy task for even a small band of devs to pull off, let alone one person, one that is been on and off for a long time now with many people donating to help him support himself while this project was on and while he still had many medical bills to cover, (Moving house was one that I remember so that he could get the treatment needed). We are here for you Joe, really!!:cool:

I wanted to encourage him to think of his health first and foremost, and in so doing do not try to go beyond his limitations. It takes humility to know and accept your limitations, I know, he is a great guy no one is disputing this, everyone here thinks he is amazing for what he has done thus far. as shown here

He did an amazing job alone on bmesh.
Bmesh is a hard project to work on alone, I’m not surprised it takes so long.
I am really happy with him. He didn’t give up. And him giving up would be tottaly justified.

Wish him good health.

Sadly though, I too wouldn’t be surprised if we wake up to the news that this branch has finally died as did the once anticipated He-mesh system.

To be fair, the BF should take over the reigns and bring this baby home, since so many other projects are also waiting for it to get completed so that they can get put in trunk. UC comes to mind, and recent GSOC work. Joe should still be in the head role and delegate the work so as to not put himself through the wringer to get this finalized.

Sincerely, take care Joe, we are behind you. But let’s get this finished the best way possible.

Yeah, everyone expects Blender 2.6 to be a huge feature release.
And not seeing bmesh there would be very dissapointing.

Imho - Don’t rush to release 2.6
If it doesn’t fit into the ‘release every two months’ routine, then don’t. Wait for bmesh. Ignore bugtracking for a while and concentrate on finishing bmesh, until bmesh is merged. It will fix and add bugs by itself anyway. Then get all that stable, and only then release 2.6.
It’s ok if the only addition from 2.59 to 2.6 is Bmesh, and if the stability of the two is nearly the same. Then add new awesome features with every other 2.6x release.
2.59 will be good enough for users until 2.6. It’s awesome.
Remember, other software take years to release new versions.

Having a single person, of frail health, work alone on a critical subsystem of an application of the scope of Blender makes the usual Dilbert PHB managment style look wise and and far-sighted.

What about adding somebody to help him?

True enough, duke jokes aside, Joe’s awesome for having taken up the huge task of keeping bmesh alive.
No disrespect meant, what-so-ever.

I’m with you on this point. It would help people be a little more understanding of the delays.

Snap! Good one;)