Wacom Pressure Sensitivity in Linux

I’ve searched and read a lot about this issue but I’m still super confused. I have a Cintiq 21UX that works really well in Linux Mint 11 with all the bells and whistles… however, I get no pressure sensitivity in Blender 2.6 (haven’t tried other versions).

I’ve read about changing the “stylus” name in xorg… but I don’t have any definitions in xorg about wacom, tablet or anything of the sort so I think that advice might be for older versions of debian.

I’ve read about HAL and fdi files… but I don’t have any of that. There is nothing there to change because it doesn’t exist. Again, I think these are solutions for older distros.

This is the latest post I can find about the issue and it has no solution…
http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&group_id=9&atid=498&aid=25581

Anyone else have problems in Blender with pressure sensitivity? One guy said if you use your eraser it will magically start working. Doesn’t work for me. No point having cool sculpt tools if you can’t use a tablet. :frowning:

Thanks for any info!

I think the problem is that you don’t have anything in xorg.conf. The wacom tablet works by default in Debian, and for a while I thought it was fine…until trying to draw. It looked like I was drawing with a mouse, other than the fact that I got smoother curves. After adding the wacom stuff to xorg.conf it worked much better.

If it helps any, here is what I have for my Graphire…

in ServerLayout:
InputDevice “stylus” “SendCoreEvents”
InputDevice “eraser” “SendCoreEvents”

additional stuff:
Section “InputDevice”
Identifier “stylus”
Driver “wacom”
Option “Device” “/dev/input/wacom” # USB ONLY
Option “Type” “stylus”
Option “USB” “on” # USB ONLY
EndSection

Section “InputDevice”
Identifier “eraser”
Driver “wacom”
Option “Device” “/dev/input/wacom” # USB ONLY
Option “Type” “eraser”
Option “USB” “on” # USB ONLY
EndSection

This is probably the simplest it can get…a more advanced tablet may support more features.

I’ve been discussing it on an Ubuntu forum. Mine is done a different way but very similar. It works great in programs like MyPaint and Gimp… but Blender… not so much. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. It’s too frustrating for me.

I’m going to give up on sculpting in Blender on Linux. Strange that they don’t work well together. I’ll try and find a cheap copy of Winblows for my cintiq. :frowning:

I’ve been discussing it on an Ubuntu forum. Mine is done a different way but very similar. It works great in programs like MyPaint and Gimp… but Blender… not so much. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. It’s too frustrating for me.

I’m going to give up on sculpting in Blender on Linux. Strange that they don’t work well together. I’ll try and find a cheap copy of Winblows for my cintiq. :frowning:

I have Wacom Bamboo CTX 460, being on Fedora. Since i have no previous experience working with tablets, it’s kind of fun - generally I am able to draw, sculpt, use stylus buttons and kbd to change view; some times i feel like i have pressure sensitivity sometimes not. Whatever i have tried to get control over pressure curves simply have not given any results. Gimp input device options does not show tablet as device, just mouse. It’s not listed in Gnome System Settings but is present in system as @wacom being /dev/event5 or @wacom-touch as /dev/event6, no eraser or touchpad buttons functionality (i might have seen eraser once tho).

Had installed supplement drivers and software CD on winXP PC which just crashed as soon as i started wacom software. Had to painfully uninstall this stuff to get that pc working again.

Still, it gives a lot more freedom while drawing or sculpting. And i really mean a lot.

Oh, there’s this wacom-utility applet for Debian by Alexander Macdonald, modified by QB89Dragon (G for “QB89Dragon wacom”) - it did not work for pressure either for me.

The regular tablet (like the wacom Intuos 3) works really well actually (at least in Mint 11). It’s the cintiq that has a lot of issues. I do get a weird bug where when my screensaver kicks on, I have to touch the touchpad before I can use the tablet again otherwise it doesn’t have pressure sensitivity.

I have troubles with pressure sesitivity in Blender when using both intuos3 and Graphire 4. For me sensitivity may work and then can stop working in a minute. Do you have something like this ?

http://projects.blender.org/tracker/?group_id=9&atid=498&func=detail&aid=25581

If you have similar troubles, please register and submit more information on your issue. The bugs like this is very hard to test and fix. Developers need more information from different people.

Also I would recommend installing fresh wacom driver This may fix others bugs.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxwacom/files/xf86-input-wacom/

On Ubuntu 11.10 I did following to compile drivers

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-dev xutils-dev libxi-dev libxrandr-dev libxext-dev libx11-dev libxinerama-dev libudev-dev

Other than the screensaver thing (which is an easy fix… just touch the pad and it starts working again)… I don’t have any problems anymore. My cintiq is another story but I don’t use it for Blender any longer. The intuos 3 works great. I’m on Mint 11.

It is a real pain when you have problems with pressure sensitivity. It makes sculpting worthless.

tommywright, can you confirm that you don’t loose pressure sensitivity when using intuos3 + mint 11 + blender + sculpt?

What is your kernel version? Which blender version do you use? What is x-wacom driver version (please execute ‘xsetwacom -V’ to find version No.) ?

I tried Intuos3 and Graphire4 and both loose pressure sensitivity. They both start working like a regular mouse. This happened 1/2 cases and it’s real pain and I really need your help!

I’ll have to wait till I get home to give you specifics but I’m on a System 76 Serval Pro running the latest release of Mint 11 (installed it about 2 months ago). I followed David Revoy’s instructions step by step to get everything running and it all works perfectly.
http://www.davidrevoy.com/index.php?article95/linux-mint-11-install-notes

Thanks for this link. I will give it a try.

But I can’t believe you have pressure sensitivity 100% working. I tried blender 2.59, 2.60 and 2.61 under linux. No luck. Sensitivity is lost sporadically. The pressure level is set to its max value and I can’t make soft strokes.

I didn’t have any troubles with blender 2.4x.

I start looking forward to other sculpting software… :frowning:

Mine works fine. The only issue I have is when my laptop sleeps, there is no pressure sensitivity until I slide my finger across the touch pad. If I bring it back awake with the touch pad to begin with, it works fine.
xsetwacom -V 0.11.99.
Blender 2.60 r41226
Wacom Intuos 3

hi tommywright, your comments helped me to find the solution! Thank you very much.

The problem is probably because blender doesn’t recognise wacom until you raise the stylus over the pad and then lower it again.

I have sensitivity problems when I run blender using tablet, go to sculpt mode and start sculpting and my stylus is flying over the pad all the time (within the vertical zone of sensitivity). Once the stylus leave this zone (raised) and then enters the zone again (lowered), blender starts recognizing wacom and pressure sensitivity is back again. So the blender doesn’t initilize wacom correctly after the start.

Just curious if anyone has same issue?

If it’s not happening in Windows then maybe it’s how the Wacom driver is implemented in Linux… but no other program seems to have this issue in Linux. Strange… but a good find. Let Ton know on one of the bug reports. I won’t be able to test it until Friday but I’ll let you know.

both tablets I have do NOT show this problem in Gimp and Mypaint. So I assume this bug relates to how linux version of blender works with external input devices.

A small but very annoying bug…

Already added a comment at
http://projects.blender.org/tracker/?group_id=9&atid=498&func=detail&aid=25581

I have never had pressure sensitivity with intus 3 . I just thought Blender did not support it . What about texture paint ? is tip sensitivity supposed to work there? Oh my !

Tip sensitivity works fine in texture painting and other painting modes

Umm, I had the same problem. I just bought an intuos4 TODAY, and it was really bumming me out when pressure wouldn’t work in blender. I looked up all over the interwebs of google, tried everything i could find with no luck.

Then I reset blender to factory defaults and it worked like a charm! I changed my key settings back manually after that. No problems! If you also have changed something in keyconfig you should try resetting.

Worth a try, solved it for me.
(I am on win7 x64 blender 2.61 and intuos4 latest drivers from wacom)

I’m using a clean version of blender (default settings) and my tablet won’t utilize pressure sensitivity. I have an LG Tablet (relabeled and sold by monoprice) and I’m using a imac osx 10.6.7. This issue is unique to Blender in my case as photoshop, alchemy, and every other app that I have tried seems to recognize how hard I bare down on my tablet.

My theory: in the input panel>user preferences, I searched ‘paint’ and noticed that many of the settings are set to ‘mouse’ and there isn’t a specific tablet setting. This got me wondering, is Blender simply is lack some code that other softwares have, that interprets the way my tablet (and some others) process pressure data? As a result Blender may only see my tablet as a mouse, and ignores the pressure value from my tablet’s driver.

Regardless, clearly there is a gap into which many of us Blender users fall, where our tablets either don’t convey pressure data to Blender properly or don’t convey anything to Blender. One need only search ‘pressure’ or ‘tablet’ on this forum to see that this is a pretty common issue.

There are many tablet manufacturers who are coding their drivers uniquely and Blender developers probably only checked to make sure that their own tablets work, because buying and borrowing a bunch of tablets to test is impractical. But, nonetheless, I wish my tablet could use the pressure settings in sculpting, texture paint, weight paint, grease pencil, and all the other features respectively.

I just would like to chime in that I have some issues with the wacom support with Blender 2.64a (linux 64). I installed blender from the yum repository, the blender that I can download from blender.org refuses to start (segmentation fault).

With Blender 2.59 it works perfectly.

So something has changed, don’t know what though.

regards
stefan