Valchion - Game Suspended

Heya. So, here’s a game project that I’ve been working on for a little while. Valchion is a 3D Action-adventure RPG similar to the many quality ones that were created for the Game Boy Color. It will feature (hopefully) tight controls, and bright, colorful graphics alongside newer, 3D conventions and capabilities (platforming alongside rapid movement) that were fairly difficult to do in 2D.

It is being made, of course, in the Blender Game Engine. :smiley:

Here’s the latest video Devlog (development log).

Here’s the playlist to watch previous gameplay videos.

If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to… Well, suggest them.

For updates, subscribe to my channel and follow my blog (you don’t have to; it’s just that I might post different information in different places).

~ DEMO ~

All of the latest demos for Windows, Mac, and Linux can be downloaded here. It should be playable for people without GLSL graphics cards.

Attachments

Hi, great work so far but I have a quick question. If and when this gets finished do you plan on making a non-GLSL version too? Good luck, 4 current projects now? :slight_smile:

No, just this one is currently being worked on. The others were pretty big and I didn’t have a good idea of how they were going to play - this one I believe I have a pretty firm idea of exactly how it will play, so making it shouldn’t be a problem.

And it is non-GLSL.

I love the Transition from one Scene to another. :3

Those controls look tight and very clean :slight_smile:
I used to love doing pixel art, so its nice to see it making a come back :slight_smile:

Coming by you are good work, ofc.

Continue with this!

very cool game you made there. good idea :slight_smile: back to the roooots!!!

Nice style, bring back some memories from the GBC times; and is a project you really could develop without much problems.

I also liked your explaining on the video, and the fact you noticed which in several games you just find medkits, ammo and even cash into trash cans.

Thanks, everyone. I think I can finish this one, so I’ll keep plugging away at it.

Solar Lune please finish this off this time your games are amazing I allways see the projects and then you quit them and I get like ahhhh nooo that was sooo great.
I love this kinds of games and this one is lovelly!

You asked for sugestions, I think that you could let simon jump and add some kind of lan co op game to it it would be amazing! I m wainting to buy trine 2 because its co op platform stile, I m kind of tired ot 3rd person shooters or even FPS co op games, but this type of game would make me want to play agood co op match.

Its just an idea, congratulations so far looks great!

Thanks leonnn. I don’t think I’m going to let this one go. Simon will be able to jump, but not all of the time. :wink: Think Link’s Awakening (as I’ve mentioned far too much already) - Link had a set of boots that allowed him to jump. Simon will be similar.

As for the co-op, I would really like to add that in. Don’t let me forget, because it sounds like it could be really fun. Perhaps Waves or Survival maps would be good? :smiley:

i really love this kind of game more pixel art for the future!!!

How did you get those brillianr flames? :slight_smile: (Rhetorical question)

@tinchopunk - Thanks. I really do like 2D sprites in 3D world games - they feel retro and modern to me.
@RossBlenderArt - They’re sprites. I animated them by hand. There’s only a few frames to the animation. :slight_smile:
EDIT: Just saw the rhetorical question part - LOL. Yeah, there’s no GLSL features present in the game right now - the shadow of the Player’s also a sprite.

That’s really cool, I never knew people did this 0_o, is that what a “sprite” is? Also do you use bones, keyframes or shapekeys? Thanks!

EDIT: Just saw the rhetorical question part

And I just saw my spelling mistake :wink:

I love these graphics, they look great! :smiley: I hope you’ll keep this going, it looks very promising :slight_smile:

Yeah, a sprite is a 2D image, usually one that is swapped out for other sprites to make a sprite animation. I’m not using keyframes, bones, or shapekeys for the sprites. They’re arranged on a sprite sheet image, and I create planes to display those individual sprites in Blender. Then I swap the meshes out using my Sprites module. It’s not very hard at all.

@Mirata - Thanks.

To add to your explanation for RossBlenderArt, a sprite sheet is an imagine that contains the different animations of the game. For example, the game character has an idle animation. On the sprite sheet you have the “frames” of the idle animations. Basically, the entire time the character is standing, a program is going into the sprite sheet, it changes the frame/sprite image on the character, then after a few milliseconds, it repeats the same process. Same thing for the walk, and roll, and all the animations SolarLune has in on all the game characters…

Here’s a png of the sprite sheets for Link from one of the Zelda games so you can see how it looks like:

@SolarLune: Dude… Reminds me of Final Fantasy IV! It’d be super cool to add joystick control so people can play with their Xbox 360 or PS3 controllers. So far it’s looking really nice! Keep it up. :slight_smile:

@Linkxgl - Thanks. I’m going to keep going. Right now I’m trying to think about how to animate a good explosion… I want a really rocking one, but I’ve never made a really realistic one.

Thanks for the explanations guys, appreciate it!
@SolarLune, I really hope you finish this one, will there be weapons and if so, how many? :slight_smile: