2012 Audi A5 Coupe - Reloaded

So, after posting about this car model in Finished Projects, I got some good constructive criticism on the modeling and materials.

In this particular situation, I’m looking more for modeling-focused critique. I’ve already sharpened up several key edges that I’d missed and added in a few details that I’d accidentally overlooked, as well as merging certain objects and remodeling the brake discs (they were Curve-based in version 1)

Now, I’m planning on selling this one in it’s current state (plus any tweaks) on 3DExport.com, so I’m not going to be including Cycles materials, just a *.blend file and maybe a 3ds/obj exported mesh.

Here’s the blend file for anyone willing to give it a look: http://www.pasteall.org/blend/15404 (it’s roughly 16MB)

August 5th EDIT - I’ll have to upload the new file tonight, PasteAll’s being uncooperative :o

Thanks!

May 25th 2013 EDIT - Changed the title 'cause “post-render tweaks” sounds silly.

Near the bottom of the door at that sharp edge I would re-do if it was me.

This is how it goes from front to back on the car.

Hmm…not sure I fully understand what you mean, but I’ll check tonight and see if I can make some improvements in that general area :yes:

The area highlighted just below the black line I drew in. :slight_smile:

Attachments

Oh, that… TBH that area’s been annoying me. I’ll see if I can fix it up, make the shape more accurate :yes:

New render, with tweaked body-materials and a few other adjustments, including adjustments to the door panels (still one thing left that I’m about to get to), tweaked topology around the back wing, and I’ve also merged a few objects and fixed Mesh-sharing data to make things more consistent. I’m still working on making a brushed-texture for the brake discs, so there’ll be another update once I get that working.

By looking at the reference pictures and my experience in having an audi I have a few suggestions if your going for full precision:

• the caps for the headlight washers are missing
  • the little round element is missing, where the towing rope is placed
  • the shape of these parts is more sharp and is similar to the wheelarchs - flat surface rounded out to fit round shape of the body
  • the ridge isn’t this flat at the bottom, it’s rounded out at the first edge
  • ths part where the side meets the front bumper is a little more sharp edged
  • this part is more inwards where the number 6 is end the edges meet, it flows into the air intake at the bottom rather than going flat

look at this references for example: http://www.netcarshow.com/audi/2012-a5_coupe/

EDIT: Since your license plate contains the german country sign you wanna go for german standards, german license plates contain 1-3 letters for the city they’re registered in, followed by 1-2 letters from A-Z and followed by only numbers. All chars not exceeding 7 chars.

Hope I could help :wink:

Attachments

can you post your file again. I cant download it.

Wow, thanks a lot! I can’t say that I’m going for 100% precision, but there are a few elements that you’ve mentioned that I obviously overlooked. I’ll see what I can do to incorporate those holes for the headlight-covers and the tow-hook…a few other notes:

@#3 - Duly-noted!
@#4 - That’s mostly the camera angle’s fault; it does actually round out nicely on the bottom part :wink: I’ll tweak it though.
@#5 - …Could that be variations in reference images? I’ll have to double check :yes:
@#6 - I knew something was bugging me about that area! Again, duly-noted!

For the plate, thanks for the info! I couldn’t seem to find any consistent images of the license-formats in Europe…

@Wakarius - I’ll post an updated version of the file in the first post in a few minutes :slight_smile:

Sorry guys, PasteAll’s not working and BA won’t let me upload 16MB blends :o I’ll try again a bit later.

…And now, a very early snapshot of my current endeavour:

I’m trying to completely remodel the bumper-panel. The current mesh is too simple, makes the process of adding in those overlooked details much too complicated, so I’m starting over from scratch :yes: And it’s all your fault, chop_suey! :evilgrin: Ha, just kidding, feels good to be modeling something again, I was starting to miss it (IMO model tweaking and actual modeling are two completely different processes, and I definitely prefer the latter)

haha, my intention all the time :yes:

you’re off to a good (re)start :wink: looks promising!
and I know the difficulties with remodeling those surfaces over and over again :mad:

keep it coming!

I’ve actually finished about half of the new version - took a while to get the circular spot in without causing surface problems, but the advantage is that now I can mirror it and have the circular area ready to cut out on the right side of the bumper, right from the get-go :slight_smile:

This is with Object Wire-display, with a non-optimal-display-subsurf enabled at Lvl1 in viewport (quite a mouthful)

And an Edit-mode snap:

Looking loads better already - and there’s a few sharpening edges built-in, which is nice :yes: Now onto the bottom half!

Looking really great

After a few more hours of tweaking, modeling, Skyping and iTunes-ing, I’ve almost finished the front bumper panel (I’m going to mirror it, so I only need half). I still have to sharpen it up and whatnot, but that should be relatively quick.

This process, however, has created a problem - I now have to remodel about a third of the front wing in order to match the new shape. I don’t know if I should be dreading the prospect, or looking forward to it :wink:

Looking much better. It’s a great way of learning, starting again. :slight_smile:

Plus, starting again, means one has the shape close to how it should be (in theory), so the second (third etc:) ) attempt allows for more emphasis on topology and geometry.

It works for me anyway.

Way better!

You’re on your way to a perfect model! :slight_smile:

ps: don’t forget to remove the circle thing on the right side, when you mirror. there is only one on the left side looking towards the front.

Thanks a lot! I wouldn’t say “perfect”, but at least closer to reality than it was :wink:

@Writer’sBlock - Thanks man! Yeah, it helps to have the original mesh there, gives me a better idea of how to reshape the various pieces, as well as knowing which mistakes to avoid. Not to mention I can sometimes reuse certain parts if they don’t need tweaking :wink:

Hey guys, I’m back with an update of sorts. Took me a while…I blame Minecraft and a sudden lack of motivation - I need a new project FAST, this one’s starting to burn me out :o

Anyway, I’ve finished up the front bumper, and modified the front wing. Below are three snaps, with the new topology, overall wire snapshot and a quick 50-sample viewport preview. (Yes, I know the materials kinda suck, but they won’t be in the final files)

While I’m here, does anyone know how well the Blender-to-3ds/OBJ exporter works? Or the proper settings? I don’t have 3DSMax or Maya so I can’t test it out (just to reiterate, I’m planning on selling this model so I need to know it’ll work properly once exported. I know I have to get rid of the constraints and whatnot)

P.S. I’m also trying to figure out a way to thank those of you who helped me out (Yes, I’m looking at you, chop_suey and GrandeP :p) - I think a previous version of the model, even in Creative Commons, would maybe interfere with the licensing on 3DExport…I’ll have to look into it. Would be rather unfair to (maybe) profit from your pointers and help :wink:

Good critique from chop_suey.

If you’re trying to sell it, then attention to detail can only be of benefit. Ask yourself, how would you feel if after having bought the model, there were a number of details missing? Small, admittedly, but important details.