2012 Audi A5 Coupe - Reloaded

I could test it for you in maya 2012, got the educational version

Oh stop it you… :o

From my point of view you can do whatever you want with “your” model :yes:
Nobody is perfect and helping each other is essential I think, so yeah, do it :slight_smile:

Very good point, WB…helps to get outside perspective on something like this, otherwise I’d miss a whole bunch of things.

…ah damn it, you’ve just reminded me that I have to model windscreen wipers :frowning: I guess I’ll need to take the interior up a notch or three as well…

EDIT

I’m serious, I think it’s time I start giving back to the community in some form, if I can…even if it’s just a couple of Blender-heads at a time :wink:
Au23rd EDIT (concerning the above section) - Well, I know I’ll definitely put in shout-outs to you guys where I can…a sort of thank-you note, you know? It’s the least I can do (Even though I’ve never really liked that expression)

Hmm, Maya 2012… I looked through the requirements for the free student version, but it needs some sort of proof that I’m going to a school where they offer graphics-related diplomas…and I’m doing all my 3D projects “on the side” as a hobby (for now). Not sure I like the idea of cheating the system either, haha

If you wouldn’t mind testing it out for me, that’d be seriously awesome of you :slight_smile: Not sure when I’ll be done, though…

ERMAHGERD, WERNDSHEERLD WIRPURS :stuck_out_tongue: Sorry, couldn’t resist.

I basically just took the wipers off my rather-crappy Golf GTI, tweaked them to fit on the Audi and stuck them in. Yes, I’m lazy, but they’re windscreen wipers, nobody really cares about those :wink: I’ll now give my reference images a look to see if I missed anything important on the outside, then I’ll work on adding a bit more detail on the interior.

So I’ve gone over the model in it’s entirety now, plus gone through all the references I have, and I can’t see anything else to tweak. The interior is still basic, but I’m at a point where I can’t really invest any more time into this project without it becoming a bit of a chore, hahaha
Not to mention I’m not “seeing” the project clearly anymore, need an extra set of eyes - this is where you guys come in; if anyone could look at the file again (if they’re willing and have the time) just in case I missed anything important, I’d really appreciate it :o

Just FYI, the file is a 7zip archive “disguised” as a *.blend :wink:

On a side note, PasteAll works again! Yay!

Soo…

• Big mistake - you seperated the hood/bonnet on the ridge, but its one big piece
  • the front lip is still not quite right, it’s running from the middle till the end of the hole and curves “in” at the left corner, see image
  • could be a bit rounded, not that much of a deal
  • yo dawg, put some grills in yo grill :wink:
  • the frame for the backwindow is missing in the middle
  • now I’m getting picky… this line is parallel
  • there is an indent missing, some kind of lip

everything else looks really sharp! :slight_smile:

tested in maya also:
I tried the .fbx export

• to be able to export you need to apply all scales! the tyres gave me struggle, I think you have to apply all modifiers and combine them into one mesh, because of the group and lattice behaviour.
  • I’m not sure about the animations/actions - never did any animation in maya
  • the file is about 50mb without the wheels, and double the size with wheels! :spin:
  • but the general exporting of the mesh works like a charm, of course the materials are off, because of cycles

hope this helps :slight_smile:

Attachments

…see, this is why I needed an extra set of eyes on this :wink: Thanks for the notes! I’ll reply to a few:

#1 - Like I said on DeviantART, I found that the images and blueprints I had were rather inconsistent, so it’s very possible I mistook that line on the blueprints as an extra panel. I’ll definitely fix that up ASAP.

#2 - I actually noticed that last night before shutting everything down, so it’s already on my to-do list.

#4 - I still don’t understand that meme, but I’ll fix that up too. It’s the little details that help make it convincing :yes:

#7 - Again, those stupid reference images…

Yeah, FBX files are freakin’ huge, I was looking over a model for someone on DeviantART (a 3dsMax modeller I chat with sometimes) a couple of weeks ago and it was something like 80MB :spin: +1 to the apply scaling and modifiers too, had that problem with the file he’d sent me…

Anyway, thanks a lot for testing it out! Glad to know it works well, I’ll probably use that format…

P.S. To those who haven’t seen it already, I’ve created a thread in Off-Topic for anything automotive, so if anyone wants to chat about various car designs, specs, new concepts that are in development, or even car modelling in general, feel free to stop by - the more the merrier, you know?

You could have guessed, 'cause it makes no sense to seperate the bonnet, but now you know :wink:

it’s xzibit back when he was “pimpin’ yo ride”, because he build stuff in cars nobody in the world would ever wanted, nor find it useful :rolleyes:

Will check that one out, thanks

Ah, I see…I guess I’ll have to look for clips of that show, must be pretty funny :wink:

I’ve got a minor update - been fixing up most of those details on the outside; the bonnet is now one single piece; I’ve tweaked the shape of the back wing to better fit that curve where the wing and back bumper meet; double-checked that the inside-frame for the back window was still in (was just hidden for some reason); also looking into solutions for the front bumper, that little bump is annoying me. Also looked through my ref. images and indeed there’s a lip-thing on the back exhaust panel. I was wondering what that line was on the “blueprints” when I modelled it :spin:
I’m just about to add in that lip, so I’ll report back with some snappys :yes:

EDIT - So…I just lost all the tweaks I’d done in the last hour. Linux Mint 12 decided to completely freeze in my face, had to manually shut down my desktop. Should be able to catch up quickly, though that’s something for tomorrow, I’m off to bed (it’s almost 2am here).

Which little bump? :slight_smile:

Love these model and waiting for file to learn more from your work :). And btw how to make screenshot like these one? /uploads/default/original/3X/2/f/2ff03223c9eea5b1431d7eeec207bd61370f4fc1.jpgd=1343531486

Looking forward next update

Hi there Wakarius :slight_smile: For that shot, it’s actually a render out of the Blender Internal engine. I haven’t tried rendering wireframes in Cycles yet, it’s on my to-do list…

For the wires, there’s a great tutorial on it by DDD, it really cuts down on render times as there’s only the one Object (unlike in Jonathan Williamson’s tutorial where he used a duplicate object with a different material).

Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

@GrandeP - that little ridge/bump right next to the bottom part of the grille, just as the fog-light area curves into the centre part.

Glad to know that the exporter worked fine :slight_smile: Do you have any more renders, to see it in its full beauty? :wink:

Ah, I don’t at the moment, no. That would probably be either tonight (quick 50-sample renders) or tomorrow morning (full 1250 samples, if I can get those tweaks and modifications back in)

Yeah I’ve spotted that bump. I tried this and it seemed to have smooth it out:

Select the three vertices shown below in the picture, press W and select Smooth (do this three times on both sides). This is a great tool that I use to get rid of bumps.

Attachments

Ah…that’s not what I meant :stuck_out_tongue: I meant the actual shape of the bumper - right now it’s transitioning from the wing to the bumper too smoothly, the shape is off. Have a look at chop_suey’s last paint-over (more specifically, point #2) and you’ll see what I mean.

You actually modelled it into the RS3’s bumper in your thread :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh yeah I see now. They look great for pedestrian protection don’t they? :spin:

Update - new rear exhaust panel. It’s now much more accurate to the real thing, though I had to eye-ball the depth of the inset a bit, since on all the pictures I can find that area in overshadowed due to the angle.

I’m not 100% done with it, still a bit of tweaking left to do, not to mention adding in that little ledge/lip that bridges the new gap between the exhaust panel and the bodywork.

I actually had to start this again twice tonight - once because of yesterday’s Linux freeze, and again earlier due to the same Linux GUI issue. I’ve read that they’ve had trouble with Mint 12’s Gnome GUI, so I’ll probably be upgrading to 13 within the next week or so. On the other hand, Windows 7 has been very stable since I’ve had it, really happy with it :yes:

Windows 7 is, thankfully, everything windows 8 isn’t; it rocks in other words. I’ve been using it since it’s first RC, and not regretted; easily the best since w2k and best ever really.

Sometimes mark one eyeball is the best way of getting something right - even we have our doubts about right. :slight_smile:

I have to agree - I’d say my favourite would be Win7, with Win2k in second and Vista in third. Yes, I actually liked Vista, still have it on my laptop and it worked pretty well in the three-and-a-half years I used it (got my trusty laptop back in August 2008, and it’s still going strong as well). I don’t use it so much on the laptop anymore though, Mint has been taking over that position in the last few months.

+1 to the eyeballing note - sometimes you gotta trust your “gut”…or, in this case, the optical processing centres of your brain :wink:

Some quick, 100-sample renders, fresh off the GPU:

Still a tiny bit of tweaking left, but nearing completion I’d say :smiley: