2012 Audi A5 Coupe - Reloaded

Next up is the interior. :evilgrin:

Haha, maybe next time :wink: I will of course be adding in a bit more detail to the interior tonight if I can, but nothing major. That’s for another car model :wink:

For this one I’m thinking basic shapes to sort-of outline the centre console, the gear-lever and the bottom part of the seats (right now it’s just the backs).

This video, albeit being a little fast gave me some ideas on how to start an interior. You can see he starts to block out the basic shapes then adds more detail, a bit like when modelling the body. Interior’s take ages to do mind. :frowning:

I did the interior, on Christine, almost exactly like doing the exterior; I started early in the process as previously after spending so much time on the exterior it seemed a little daunting to what was basically - start again.

It seemed to work; it also provided some variety, which is maybe why I found it a better method.

Well, therein lies the problem - I know that I no longer have the patience (or time) to go all-out on the interior… the topology-obsessed part of me finds it would be epic and awesome and cool, but the more realistic part of me is telling me I need to finish this up before it becomes another NES-Console project :wink: It’s a conflict of interest, really.

…so even if I had been intending on doing a full interior, I’d basically be screwed, huh? :stuck_out_tongue: (If you’ll pardon my language)

If you find you get a little fed up, then basically you should change the way you work; if it seems like work, then it is. Give yourself some variety; do different things, while staying on track for the goal you set yourself. Make sure the goal you have set yourself is realistic and achievable.

There’s also the fact, that if you intend making money out of this you have to think: so I want to be doing something else: tough… I need to do this.

Then when you have achieved your goal, reward yourself in some way.

It tends to work for me; I’m sure others will have different methods of how they get past the tough parts.

Screwed? No; unless, of course, you believe you are. :slight_smile: For me it would be harder, but you may find you actually prefer that method. If you’re still learning how to go about this - as am I - then it’s just a matter of finding what works for you. The only way to do this, is to do. Sounds obvious, I know.

It’s like people saying, “I’ve tried everything to lose weight.” Actually they’ve tried everything except actually doing it. Yes, BTW, I did lose the weight. :slight_smile:

EDIT:

I forgot to mention: it is important that you assign yourself time off; be it, projects that are fun, nights out, exercise, playing games. Some of that time should be away from modelling. Something I find hard to do myself. :slight_smile:

The only way to do this, is to do. Sounds obvious, I know.

So in other words “Try not, do. Or do not. There is no try.”

Well…you’ve convinced me, Writer’s Block :smiley: In fact I think I’m seeing an advantage to modelling the interior after having done the exterior - if the exterior is like it’s supposed to, I can concentrate more on the specifics of the inside, without having to deal with the tweaking of the outside. At least, that’s the way I’m envisioning it, but no doubt there’s 1 or 15 things I haven’t considered that can influence that, but in any case, I’m diving in! No “trying”, no "what if"s, just dive right in and Do stuff.

…I guess that can also mean I might need to visit an Audi dealership for some more references :eyebrowlift:

Ha, I’m getting all worked up already (in a good way). Thanks a million for all this input and support, guys, I really, really appreciate it :o

You know where we’re at if you need help with it. :smiley:

The pub /nod.

Well, I might be in the nearest espresso bar, but you get the idea, I’m sure.

If you feel like doing the interior, than do it. I personally am looking much more into doing the interior, for me it´s something more interesting, and imagine those renders that can be done with the full interior… I can´t wait do do mine :smiley:

Gotta agree; there is much more freedom on scenes when one has interior to factor in too.

When we tell the viewer a story, the most important part is believability; no matter how accurate our model is, if the viewer doesn’t believe in it, it fails. To me, no interior is a serious problem for believability.

I agree, interiors are so different to exteriors - some of the same issues, especially where references are concerned, but it reminds me a little of organic modelling - not that I have much experience of that.

The only problem i have with doing an interior for cars, is getting everything the correct size, as blueprints dont have interiors you reference. And not all car references have detailed interior shots. So you are really in the blind unless you actually have the car you are modeling. And as an engineer i need exact dimensions lol.

Here’s an updated file, if anyone wants to give it a look :slight_smile: Again, same drill as before - it’s a 7zip archive disguised as a *.blend, so you just need to change the *.blend for a *.7z.

2012 Audi A5 - Cleanup - version10

@DDD & Writer’s Block - Some good points :yes: For reference images, I already have the several inside shots from NetCarShow, but I’ll be looking around the other car sites to see if I can’t find more. In the words of Team Mango, “MAKE STUFF MOAR REAL!!1”

Double-post

So I’ve been going through the reference images I have, and…well, I’m still trying to figure it out and so on, so I haven’t yet decided what I’m going to model and what I’m going to try and “cheat”. I’ll post some updates on the progress once I’ve actually made any. Just wanted to mention that this is an incredibly daunting prospect :wink:

EDIT - Just look at this thing:

…I mean, I’m more-or-less confident in my modelling skills, but that’s still a lot of stuff to model, even if I strip it down to its essential parts :spin: I guess I’ll start by outlining the important bits in GIMP or something… sort-of winging it TBH (as always)

EDIT - Well, no progress achieved tonight…unless of course reaching a whole new level of confusion can be considered progress.

Confucius said, “First comes confusion, then comes understanding”; if he didn’t he should have. :smiley:

I disagree, as you might have guessed by now - make it more believable. If real is what it takes, so be it; but don’t sacrifice believability for the sake of reality; depends on goal though.

Do it! That’s what I did, when I had the idea to model the S5 myself (never did it though :confused: ) It’s the best reference you can get, and there’s nothing wrong with it, professional 3D Artist get a Clay Model as Reference, not only images :slight_smile:

wait what, you can get a clay model from a dealership?

I think he meant the guys that do the cars actual shaping i.e Audi’s designers. The guys that do advertising visualization will get CAD files from Audi

I just have to find an Audi dealer near where I live, so I can go there on Mondays (my days off - I work 6 days a week (currently on break) so time is always a bit stretched)… wish I had a camera of my own though, have to save up for it - a Panasonic FZ150.
Then again if I don’t have the time or resources to get there (no driver’s license either :p) I’ll have to make-do with Google search and get as many images as I can. Got a few good ones last night in a nice high-res, but I needs moar.

Well, he must’ve been confused often, considering his name is similar :wink: Okay, lame joke, sorry.

Well that was more of a joke, but IMO it could also be interpreted as “make stuff more believable”. IIRC photorealism and realism are two similar yet different concepts, the latter being more about believability.

In any case, I’m not giving up on the interior just yet :wink:

hi can i ask you to help me in an game pl i need profesnil help code you help me? pl fps the group is on facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/groups/209504505838652/