Blender 2.66

You can now download 2.66 final here http://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.66/

Release Notes: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.66

I thought it was coming out tomorrow.

Earlier is fine with me, thanks for the heads up!

Is it already? Why on Blender.org there are no news about this final version? is strange not having offcial announcement but anyways I was really looking to try this version very excited about it…

It’s not officially released yet.

Official release is when blender.org frontpage and download page is updated.

@Richard: It’s also not certain yet if this is the final. We all hope, but show stoppers can come up any time. :slight_smile:

I don’t see the OSX versions of 2.66 on there… are they coming soon?

Early congrats to the devs on another big release!

Even if this is jumping the gun a little, congrats to all devs for a spectacular release! :slight_smile:

Can anyone give a hint why my install changed my view controls? I tried turning off my addons and switching to factory settings, but it gave this under the view menu:

edit: after opening userprefs, I switched to Maya pref and they showed correctly, then switched back to blender and it stayed on the ‘normal’ view settings, so I saved user setting at the bottom and breathed a sigh of relief.

Attachments

Richard just wanted to be the first to post it here on BA :stuck_out_tongue:
congrats and thanks to the devs.

Already got my copy off of Graphicall (I generally do not download from the official Blender download page anymore).

Not like I haven’t been using most of what was there to begin with, hehe :slight_smile:

deleted. still having issues, but it is my end.

Is it at all possible that the Maya preset and the Blender preset got mixed up on the Windows 64 builds? Not having a very good experience so far, can’t get the ‘fix’ to take. Also, it doesn’t let me zoom in with the mouse wheel, only out. This is when using any of my files that I built with 2.65a.

Edit: Derek told me to try the zip file, and that seems to have fixed everything. I’d gotten used to using
The installer, and I guess something in my download was incomplete.

Such great progress being made by the developers so quickly for an open source project - I’m so impressed I’ve just donated a few Euros (the first time I ever have to a software project).

Congratulations to the devs and contributors on this new release !

Those poor, poor evil bugs:evilgrin:

Devs you’ve really outdone yourselves this time, job well done:D

DingTo: the 7z is near half the size, it would be great to have also this option for Linux.

@Richard Marklew
Being a moderator, do you have any reasonable explanation why OSX builds are missing??

At the time it is official, we will also have Mac OS binaries… they are just not uploaded yet. :wink:

@Bao2: 7z is not so common for Linux.

It´s either because the devs have decided that MacOS sucks!

…or, the more reasonable explanation - because the official release isn´t until TOMORROW! :wink:

Is Dynamic Topology suddenly crashing Blender in the Win64 build for anyone else? Using Windows 7 64-bit, .exe install.

Open Blender, enter Sculpt Mode on default cube, select “Enable Dynamic”. Blender suddenly goes away.

The RC version does it as well… but everything’s OK on my other Win7 64-bit computer. Very strange.

Works for me, it’s not totally crash-proof (if you try to abuse it), but it works and is even improved from the last time I tried using it (no orphan edges or verts which essentially allows you to ‘pinch’ off pieces of geometry by increasing the collapse radius, and not only that but even allows you to collapse the default cube into nothing).

The only thing missing by now on the sculpting side is the automatic creation of holes, I know there’s always booleans, but it would be nice as it would pretty much literally allow any shape to be made without leaving sculpt-mode. Another thing that needs to be done is an automatic retopology tool which could be either in the form of an addon or as a built-in feature (so we can quickly get our sculpts into a usable form which can then be UVmapped).