Sky Ship WIP - BG Sci-Fi competition

Haven’t seen the movie, but I overall love stories of this very original science fiction author. So this is very vintage piece of tech and I hope I’ll capture the atmosphere. I will not say what it is, you have to guess :smiley:

Sincerly, yours RF

Looking good so far :smiley: Can’t wait to see you finish this!

Looking good so far, ill keep track of this :slight_smile:

Hm, a zeppelin from the golden compass maybe?

@Nathan What a pity you won’t compete :frowning: thanks for drop by :wink:

@peter18 Don’t worry, I keep tracking you too. Know your enemies (fellow competitors maybe) :wink:

@Speroangelus Yet this is too lighter-than-the-air nope. But you’re near!

Progress goes very slowly, i didn’t find time back on the weekend as weekend is always rushy with my small but young and dynamic family :D.

I still let you guessing as this “zeppelin” misses all of it’s propellers (and guys, there’s lot of them!)

Good progress :slight_smile: Looks pretty kl so far!

Now i’m going for details.
Tadaaaa:

If you guys know how to get rid of this ugly grid from supports, i’ll be glad to hear from you! Or even if you know any easier way how to compose circles to mesh (circle holes to trangle)

Sincerly yours RF :wink:

You may draw inspiration from these images:
http://igmarauders.isotx.com/library/images/8/86/FalconAirship.jpg
http://igmarauders.isotx.com/library/images/9/93/CorsairAirship.jpg
http://igmarauders.isotx.com/library/images/d/d4/ArrowheadAirship.jpg
http://igmarauders.isotx.com/library/images/3/35/TaveronAirship.jpg
http://igmarauders.isotx.com/library/images/d/d3/MajesticAirship.jpg

Here is my two cents on steampunk airships. The metal/cabin to balloon ratio always looks so high. Is it typically presumed that the airship has some anti-gravity technology working alongside the lighter-than-air gas?

Maybe this only bugs me, but I think that if you increased the balloon size it would really help.

@AbydosOnline
Thank You very much for sharing such an inspiration but my project is based on very specific design. When all is modelled and I won’t be satisfied I may use it. Thanks!

@Saila Cilbup
This ship is indeed very hard because of all the steel. Good observation. There’ll be plenty of propellers, so there goes your anti-gravity device :wink:

Thank you all for sharing views and inspiration.

Sincerly Yours Rhino

Looks very nice - I like it! Do you have plans for the scene? Maybe hovering through destructed buildings or something?

@Scott Graham Yes, I’ve been considering the scene and I hope i’l manage some fire. If not, thank you very much, beacause next step should be “flew throught the another concrete” :smiley: I’m not able to do anything throught day (i mean my normal life) beacause I have head full of fire, composition, railing and so on… So Scott, you remaind me the very half an hour i’ve been thinking about destruction modelling. Aaaaargh, Andrew, look what you do to me! :smiley:

Here comes the top of the carrier. The ugly squared little tiny walls shall become nice smooth railing. I prepared masks as you can see down (well you can’t, because the render sucks) instead of modelling. But if i don’t like it, i will modell each railing separately. But competion is not about vertices, is it?

See you guys!

Hehe Andrew is pushing us to our limits - but we like it that way :slight_smile:
Your ship turns out great - Capt. Nemo would also love it!

I think that this might get you better results on the support. It’s not perfect but just duplicate the method used on the upper right corner with the left and lower right corners.

It might look a little rough but just add a loop cut around the circle (depending on how sharp you want it) and it cleans up pretty well.

Things that might be good to focus on is the faceloops around the circles, the faces between the faceloops, and the faceloop going around the whole support.

Attachments

That’s exactly what i need to hear. I was thinking about extruding circles and rounding edges of the support to make it more steel-like. And with clean loopcuts around circles and arond whole support it will be much easier to play with it (i spent 15 minutes just selecting edges faces and vertices yesterday). Thank you!

Do we only at central europe read Jules Verne? You’ve got it, this is Albatrosse of Robur the Conqueror…

The railing is just working version, i don’t really like it much, just wanted to have it original, but it seems a bit Odd. I may try simple sticks. I don’t know. I will update propellers to have U/V mapped material before Duplicating, because there’s lot of them and it would be madness to UV map each one. Also the shape is not correct. I’ve seen at some pictures that Propeller is shaped as a wing. Is that so?

Thanks for following!

Sincerly yours Rhino

This is really looking cool. I particularly like how you modeled the supports and fence on the “rear balcony.” And I’m glad to see some propellers to help add lift!

Yeah progress :wink: Classic SciFi supreme!

Very Classy!

people with monocles drinking champagne smoking cigars on deck?