Marantz M-CR 603

EDIT: I will update the top post so that the thumbnail of the topic reflects the stand of the WIP.

Hi,

I am not used to WIPs, but I thought i would give a go this time.

I plan to model a Marantz M-CR603, which is a sort of all-in-one amplifier.
I have the pleasure to own one of these (thanks Mum !), and I thought it’d be a nice modelling experience.

Here is what I’ve got so far, as wireframes.
No materials yet.

Cool!
That’s some decent datails on the smaller parts! Looking forward to a textured version!

pretty interesting so far. It would be fun to hear a bit more about this unit and why it’s special.

@ James_Z
Well i don’t know if it is really special, but that’s a really neat little pack. It can basically do everything.
CD FM/DAB of course, but also internet radios, USB stick things, uPnp/DLNA capabilities to read anything on my network omputers, etc.
Even Airplay.

Easy to use, pretty clear sound.

Update: the geometry is more or less finished at the back. Here is a quick render with basic shaders on it.
Already 2 days work. I am not very quick…

I’ve just finished the texturing of the back panel.
All done in inkscape.

Next step is either refinements of these materials (the knobs for the speakers are made out of a transparent plastic that i can’t render properly at the moment…) or modeling of the front.

wow, nice detail! really cool.

A little close-up view of the back, with improved geometry.

I finally got some work done at the front.

Very cool! May I ask why the reflections on top look so edgy?

You mean not 100% perfect ?
I applied a very slight displacement noise on the top so that it is not 100% perfectly flat : when seen from a low angle, I can see that the reflection is a bit distorted on mine (the real deal), that’s why.

Aah, now I get it! :smiley: The top looked perfectly flat to me hence the black colour so I was wondering where the “distortion” in the lines were coming from.

Update: the thextured front.
Still not happy with the main material, and I have to do the display now…

Your work is really good, that back panel almost freaks me out …too real dude! :slight_smile:

Thanks James !

I have started to render some “beauty” shots, but i am soooo bad at lighting.
And i can’t bring the model to shine properly: where the black reflective surface of the display meets the frosted metal, there should be some highlights due to the curved chamfer on the black plastic. But these are not visible in the renders… Either i made them too small or… i am really THAT bad at lighting !

EDIT: It’s a bit better now as i can see the chamfer, but i loose the nice anisotropy on the buttons though…

Update: the back with some better lighting.

Update: I added the LCD display.

Boy, I can’t master lighting. I always end up doing 35 test-renders, adding lights, removing them, changing the background, adding a world, removing it…

great job, just a question:where you found the serigaphy?

What do you mean ? You mean all that printed stuff at the back ? I do own one of these, so I took it as a reference and made it myself with inkscape. I used the UV layout as a guide, along a carefully scaled wireframe view of the back so that I could line up things efficiently and carefully.
The font isn’t exactly right of course, but that doesn’t matter: it does the trick.

Same at the front: the font family probably is a bit off, execpt the Marantz logo that comes from a high res image transformed to a mesh.

Great work and great patience i tought you found some where in the web,Excuse my bad english.