How do I make a sci fi thruster flame?

Not really sure where to put this. How do I make the thrust effect for a sci fi, spacey thruster. I want it look fairly realistic. I have googled it and found mostly poor or very old threads.

1 Like

Can you post an example. I may have a solution.

Depends exactly what type of thruster you are looking for, a straight ‘cone’ type or a pulse type thruster.

Here is a quick and dirty hall/ion thruster type effect using volumetric emission. The thrust flame object itself is just the default cube stretched a bit along the z-axis then rotated 90 degrees to the horizontal. Its the material itself that does all the work, making the shape and detail within the flame. The grey thruster housing is just a default cylinder.

Attachments

2 Likes

Of course - you can throw additional textures into the mix too - to add more detail. This one just mixes a bit of noise texture into the gradient and changes the colour.

Attachments

How do I make the thrust effect for a sci fi,

– the first ( cyan color) above ion drive look IS COOL and almost real

the second one you really DO NOT !!! want that turbulence in vacume
it will CAUSE major PROBLEMS !!! including

"a sudden ,unexpected disassembly event "

as to the drive ???
WHAT is it ???
Star trek “warp” – NO effect

a Jump drive – think the Battlestar Galactica remake

Fusion drive ? — hot plasma

plank and antimatter – plasma but in the X-ray band – invisible to the human eye

the more efficient the drive the GRATER use it is AS!!! a weapon
a matter anti matter drive or a fusion drive also makes one GRATE canon

^^ it’s a ‘holly hop’ drive :wink:

so a Red Dwarf jump drive

none needed

but a plasma coming out of the ship rocket “engines”

might do

Am attempting the cyan ion drive in this thread in eevee 2.81. Looks really nice and would be great for my ships when they power up for a FTL jump. I just need to get the color ramp adjustment right… it will take a while but I will eventually get it. Thanks for this thread!

Realistic Hall effect Thruster

Particle cloud shader :